DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

not flying your UAV

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I often see places I would like to fly, but due to high crime rate, the risk is too high of getting robbed...
Hi, I'm visiting Joburg and Cape Town in a couple of weeks. I'd love to fly but want to avoid any issues. As a local resident do you have any tips/suggestions on places to go and places to avoid?

Given how much it cost, I'm still very nervous about making mistakes, and some encounters with territorial birds have shaken what little confidence I had built up practicing circles around the park.

The only thing that keeps me from flying in the winter is the fact that I'm a big wuss. If the temperature drops below 40, I don't stay out very long.
I hear you there about the cold. It stops me at times but so does 100+ temps. Being I fly more to capture unique spots and subjects, the drive to get to those places gets a bit expensive. Here in California's central valley the best spots are when the flowers bloom in spring or summer in the Sierra's. At least in summer I can escape to the cooler temps of the mountains...just costs me more.

Reactions: FatherXmas
White hair, long beard and round spectacles I presume:)
You forgot the round belly, that shook when I laugh, like a bowl full of jelly.

I have flown alot in rural areas and small towns with conservative people very openly and have only gotten interested comments / questions. But I am much more careful in areas with a large number of liberals. In liberal areas, I try to be in a nonpublic area for takeoff/landing and fly at least 250 feet up so the noise generated is low and is less likely to be noticed. This is due to very negative comments from Democrats.
Since most people know very little about drones, areas where people are more "live and let live" and less "I get offended easily" are more fun for flying has been my experience. Just my personal observation.
Forgive me for being political, I don't care how you vote but red vs blue areas of the country seem to react differently to drones.

Reactions: Smalls
Proverbs 15 :: NIV. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.
It's been my experience that when we in any situation are defensive and perhaps even offensive about our hobby/profession we as a whole can be quite snippy.
I like to think that I will choose the highroad and again being prepared asking that question to yourself "what if" by planning ahead having a way of showing both in legal and by showing the concerned individual they have nothing to worry about goes a long way in diffusing a bad situation. If it isn't diffused then at least I know in my heart I did my best and held my end of being a good ambassador and steward for this hobby

Willie, I totally agree. Not only do I fly legally but also with safety and privacy of others in mind. In my neighborhood, I only fly over properties of neighbors that approve of my flying. If I want to fly from someone's private property, I ask first (Offering a picture of their house is usually welcomed). If questioned, I am enthusiastic in explaining what I am doing and how I am doing it safely. If I am in an area where a person seems upset by my actions, I will leave without confrontation.
I have now flown in a few different states and several different areas of these states. I have noticed how the politics of an area affects how people react to something new like flying a drone. Just something to be aware of if you fly in different parts of the country.

i guess its the old adage (do unto others as you would have them do unto you )this thread has been very interesting and informative, and it does show that in a lot of cases the negative media that drones have received recently has had an affect on peoples flying habits,lets hope the new rules and regs coming out this year dont make drone flying any more prohibited

Reactions: Willie14228
i guess its the old adage (do unto others as you would have them do unto you )this thread has been very interesting and informative, and it does show that in a lot of cases the negative media that drones have received recently has had an affect on peoples flying habits,lets hope the new rules and regs coming out this year dont make drone flying any more prohibited
I feel A lot of that will depend on how we represent ourselves. This has been a great post with some informative insights +1 Oldman for a good topic

Reactions: old man mavic
I feel A lot of that will depend on how we represent ourselves. This has been a great post with some informative insights +1 Oldman for a good topic
thanks for your reply i agree with your comments time will tell lets all think positive and carry on enjoying our hobby

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15