DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not quite symmetrical...

MavicPro83

Reactions
Got my Mavic last night, looks epic, can't wait to fly it this weekend! One thing I noticed more as an observation than an issue is when the arms are all extended it's not actually quite symmetrical... the angles on each front arm and rear arm are a little different... I assume this is by design to help with its in flight dynamics somehow... interesting as the phantoms are symmetrical albeit with differing angles on the motors...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I own a Turbo Ace Matrix and the front and rear arms have completely different angles. On that model, the FC (Flight Controller and IMU) is centered at the intersection of all the motors, when viewed from above, (probably is on the Mavic also), so the angle relative to the frame really doesn't matter to the FC.

If you said it wasn't symmetrical from left to right I'd be surprised, but front to back seems plausible. The arms unfold completely different front-back, not surprised.

I did actually mean left to right... If you line up the front arms of the craft to a straight edge you'll see what I mean, it's marginal but different, in any case I'm sure it's by design

That's weird. I just measured mine. I drew a box on a piece of paper and set the drone in the box. Perfectly symmetrical.

I did the old string and weight method. Did 3 spots on each motor then measured to the box. Front r dead even and so r the back.

Added wing dihedral increases hover stbility and less yaw when moving forward. It is pretty common on the bigger rigs. I utilized this setup on my tarot 810 and it dramatically increased the handling performance of my hexacopter.

I did notice this on the Mavic as well and the only downside is that hover flight times are depreciated by a bit.

Interesting, If my understanding of the term dihedral is correct you mean the angle from the body if looking at the drone head on rather than the angle of each arm relative to the body if viewed from above right? I need to have another look but when I placed each of the front legs against a straight edge this morning it appeared they were not equally set forward (fractionally) this the angle appeared to be slightly different if viewed from above.

Well my Tarot is symmetrical in frame shape and my motor angles were set inwards towards the body. Its a hexagonal body for reference. You can also look up the DJI "Spreading wings" frame where this is very apparent.

I noticed on the Mavic that these angles are not towards the body but more so parallel to the body. I dont have much experience in aero engineering but here is a good thread that explains it pretty well: Adding motor dihedral (slight inward mounting angle) for better stability • /r/Multicopter

Ok a more detailed look this eve has led me to believe it's fine and is in fact 99% symmetrical after all, thanks for the thoughts though all!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke