DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Note to self - not on a windy day

I live in salt lake and we can have sum gusty days. about 2 weeks ago decided I needed to intentionally go out and fly it in high winds to know what the limits are near a mountain. so in 18-20 mph winds the mavic pro flew very stable and without any issues, except for high wind warnings, I ignored them and kept flying, now I probably would not have done this in 25-30mph gusts just because. the real problem is, typically the higher you go the
wind speed increases, so fly smart with as much environmental information as possible.

I put the new quiet props on my MP and boy they are quiet compared to the standard props. I did notice a lot of flutter and drifting so I did an IMU cal and now it's perfect. Steady as a rock and no drift or flutter. The new props change the RPM on the motors due to the wider blade and different pitch. I think the IMU cal is mandatory in order to get the motors in sync.

I live in salt lake and we can have sum gusty days. about 2 weeks ago decided I needed to intentionally go out and fly it in high winds to know what the limits are near a mountain. so in 18-20 mph winds the mavic pro flew very stable and without any issues, except for high wind warnings, I ignored them and kept flying, now I probably would not have done this in 25-30mph gusts just because. the real problem is, typically the higher you go the
wind speed increases, so fly smart with as much environmental information as possible.

Hello from Sandy. My concern here on the windy days is also the amount of dust in the air.

I don't think the MPP handles wind anywhere near as well as the standard MP, or maybe it's the props.
We had a gusty morning and my MPP was being tossed like a rag.- literally moving about a foot in every direction.
I sent it up about 60 feet and the wind was taking it away - had to put it in sport mode to bring it back.
Anyone else flown theirs in breezy conditions?
Have you thought of re-calibrating the I IMU, that might help and make sure that all of the gains are at 100%.

Same. Practically impossible for the aircraft to hold a position in windy conditions. 10mph winds or so. Sport mode is a must to get the craft back. Wouldn’t rely on RTH in windy conditions depending on distance from home.
Re-calerbrate the IMU,and make sure that the gains are at 100%, hopefully that will help.

crazy that you're having issues at 10MPH winds. I've had mine is 20-25mph with no issues.

remember that wind just 20 feet int he air can be DRAMATICALLY different than at ground level. What you thought was 10mph on your weather app might be 30 just a house or so higher than you, and at altitude, its extremely different.

I put the new quiet props on my MP and boy they are quiet compared to the standard props. I did notice a lot of flutter and drifting so I did an IMU cal and now it's perfect. Steady as a rock and no drift or flutter. The new props change the RPM on the motors due to the wider blade and different pitch. I think the IMU cal is mandatory in order to get the motors in sync.

I had exactly the same experience. The Mavic certainly was quiet. And it did drift in 10 mph winds. I’m not sure which I prefer. Quiet or stable.

With more pitch, the Platinum props would present a greater cross sectional area to horizontal air flow. In addition, the lower rpm would likely mean that they generate less gyroscopic effect, assuming similar mass and cg of rotational mass to regular props. Being more prone to tipping off axis resulting from reduced gyroscopic effects from the props would also make the Platinum propped mavic expose more of the cross section of the body to the wind further aggravating the problem.

It would be interesting to try the smaller cage props without the cages to verify the theory as one would presume they present the least possible side area and need to run at much higher RPM given the smaller diameter and lower pitch. Presumably these could be best for stability in wind.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
I don't think the MPP handles wind anywhere near as well as the standard MP, or maybe it's the props.
We had a gusty morning and my MPP was being tossed like a rag.- literally moving about a foot in every direction.
I sent it up about 60 feet and the wind was taking it away - had to put it in sport mode to bring it back.
Anyone else flown theirs in breezy conditions?
Not a MPP. But My MP flies well in heavy winds. But one must have sports mode on all the time in 25+km/hr gusts. I fly regularly up to 35-40 km/h winds over ocean , just always very aware. Also have definately noticed stability with low noise props in medium / high wind . Switched to std props better all round stability in high winds.

This is good information. I dont have the MPP but have flown my MP in winds up to 35 MPH which the MP handled fairly well, using sport mode to fly upwind. I am going to buy the MPP props for low noise but will keep the wind performance in mind.

This is good information. I dont have the MPP but have flown my MP in winds up to 35 MPH which the MP handled fairly well, using sport mode to fly upwind. I am going to buy the MPP props for low noise but will keep the wind performance in mind.

I did mention that I had an MP and that it flew fine in gusty winds.

Now every MPP owner is gonna rush to buy the original MP rotors...LOL.

I flew mine in about 15mph wind with gusts to maybe 20mph when I tested the new pano mode. UAV Forecast said that's how much wind there was. I hovered at 400ft where I instantly got repeated high wind warnings. I noticed absolutely no difference in stability between my MPP and MP (which I flew right after). Both were rock solid. I did notice that upon take-off the MPP would get pushed maybe a foot, but would quickly stabilize. The MP didn't move as much.

I saw no difference flying around in that wind either. Both struggled against head wind, but as others have said sports mode would instantly fix that. I had to laugh a little at the comment about returning his MPP. Don't get caught in the hype. Fly it some more and see for yourself.

Lol 35MPH is moderate gale force winds.

That's A LOT of wind. I wouldn't risk flying in winds above 25mph. Even 10-15mph feels very windy already.

Now every MPP owner is gonna rush to buy the original MP rotors...LOL.

I flew mine in about 15mph wind with gusts to maybe 20mph when I tested the new pano mode. UAV Forecast said that's how much wind there was. I hovered at 400ft where I instantly got repeated high wind warnings. I noticed absolutely no difference in stability between my MPP and MP (which I flew right after). Both were rock solid. I did notice that upon take-off the MPP would get pushed maybe a foot, but would quickly stabilize. The MP didn't move as much.

I saw no difference flying around in that wind either. Both struggled against head wind, but as others have said sports mode would instantly fix that. I had to laugh a little at the comment about returning his MPP. Don't get caught in the hype. Fly it some more and see for yourself.

If obstacle avoidance is turned off you may not even need to switch to sport mode.

If obstacle avoidance is turned off you may not even need to switch to sport mode.

I never even thought of that as I have it on all the time. I fly high most of the time, so there's really no obstacles up there. I'll turn OA off next time I fly just to see how much faster it can cruise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slave2soul