DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Novice help

GTinNC

Reactions
Considering purchasing my first drone, the Mavic Mini. I have an ancient iphone5c which is incompatible with the drone and app, but functions perfectly for what I need it for. I'm looking to purchase something to use only as a monitor for the drone. I do have an ipad, issued through my job, that I could use, but it seems that it would be far too bulky to be useful. My first thought is to get a refurbished or used iphone 6 plus, which is not unreasonably priced and is supported, and not transferring it to my cellular carrier, but leaving it inactivated. Will this work? Can I log into the APP where I have a wifi signal and remain logged in after I get out of range of a wifi signal? Again, being a novice, is there any need for phone service other than logging into the account, if it is used solely as a monitor? Of course, if I find a phone that appears in great condition and reliable, I may transfer the newer phone to y account and deactivate my antique, but if there is any question of it's reliability or longevity, I'd rather keep my 5c as my cell phone. Are there better, less expensive options for a monitor that will be functional without cell service?

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I just purchased a used 6s Plus from Swappa, 64 G, gold, good condition for $145, including shipping. I didn’t buy it for using with my MM because I have an iPad Mini 5 for that, but to use to take screen shots for app documentation I write. It’s not on a phone plan and may never be again.

Just mentioning it because I feel like the price I paid is quite reasonable for an AT&T one (although the seller said it had also been used on Verizon so maybe it’s unlocked). The screen is perfect and the back has a few tiny spots here and there but I put a case on it so don’t see them.

Reactions: GTinNC
I grabbed a iPad 4 Mini renewed from Amazon. Mine had cellular so I would have gps capabilities through the iPad but that’s not needed so you can get one for around 200$ and it fits in the controller just fine.

Reactions: GTinNC
I grabbed a iPad 4 Mini renewed from Amazon. Mine had cellular so I would have gps capabilities through the iPad but that’s not needed so you can get one for around 200$ and it fits in the controller just fine.
Next ignorant question, so did you activated the LTE cellular on the ipad mini, or just saying that you purchased one with LTE capability so it would have the GPS built in? Asking because I do not plan to activate through a carrier, but if GPS added functionality, even if not activated on cellular carrier, I would spend the extra few dollars.

I just purchased a used 6s Plus from Swappa, 64 G, gold, good condition for $145, including shipping. I didn’t buy it for using with my MM because I have an iPad Mini 5 for that, but to use to take screen shots for app documentation I write. It’s not on a phone plan and may never be again.

Just mentioning it because I feel like the price I paid is quite reasonable for an AT&T one (although the seller said it had also been used on Verizon so maybe it’s unlocked). The screen is perfect and the back has a few tiny spots here and there but I put a case on it so don’t see them.

Thanks a lot. I suppose the gold is not good for resell, because I am seeing similar pricing on gold, while other colors run into the $200 range, with the same memory. It is good to know that Swappa was reliable for you, so I will absolutely consider them for purchasing. All I really care about would be the screen and functionality of the unit, though I imagine I would use the camera also from time to time.

Based on both responses, it sounds like a refurbished or used iPad mini, and the larger screen may be a better option, since I do not intend to activate the phone. I would lose the higher resolution of the camera in a 6 plus phone vs. a mini 3 though. Hmmmmm.

I've had an iPhone 6s for some time, and it worked well with the MM, but just too small for my old eyes. It was also sort of a pain to remove the otter box everytime for flying. I got a cellular iPad mini 5 for the drone (refurb), which is much better for my eyes, and there's no box or case to remove...perfect!

I've had an iPhone 6s for some time, and it worked well with the MM, but just too small for my old eyes. It was also sort of a pain to remove the otter box everytime for flying. I got a cellular iPad mini 5 for the drone (refurb), which is much better for my eyes, and there's no box or case to remove...perfect!

You just described me, "old eyes" and tend to wear reading glasses doing close up tasks, so that was a concern with me, hense the 6 plus rather than 6, but it is sounding like a tablet, and it's even larger screen size, may definitely be the better option for me. I considered using my full size iPad from work, but being a novice, I feel I need visual on the joysticks while I am learning to fly, and all of the mounts seem to place the monitor over the controller when using something that large, not to mention the extra bulk and weight. The mini fitting in the original mount (which I wasn't aware of before) would avoid that problem. I have a couple of annual events that I attend which I do a lot of photography at, and am considering this purchase primarily for those events to get good visuals from an angle outside of but above the events, primarily for video creation. One is an animal rescue event and a lot of my photography is used in marketing, and I feel rather than everything being at ground level, getting some stills or video from above would add to it's appeal.

I do not have service turned on on my Mini 4. I started out using my full size iPad and did not like not being able to see my sticks as well. My wife has the iphone 6 Plus. It was just alittle too small. I guess I was like Goldie Locks. The iPad Mini 4 was just right.

Without activating the phone or device with a cellular connection, how could you use the map in the fly app to track the mini? I don’t get the desire to keep an IPhone 5 as your phone in 2020 but I guess it’s important to you.

I also have a i phone 5c that wouldn't work for this. So a couple of weeks ago I purchased a new in the box iphone 6S Plus from Trac phone and was able to transfer all my time and data from the old iphone. Years and years worth. Last week I bought a Tec 21 case which is super easy to remove for the transmitter as well as Zagg front cover protection with a lifetime replacement from best buy for $24. the installation was $7. Case was on clearance for $12. Sorry about the fingerprint it's actually flawless they did a great job at best buy. I pay $25. every 2 months for the Trac phone service!! I would have been happy to keep using my 5 c as well and if not for this new hobby i would still use it. Not a chance now, it will take some time to get use to the larger size but I never keep it in my pocket except to go to work. Then I park it in my locker.

Attachments

• IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    756.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    732.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I am using a mini2 iPad. It was something I already had. The cost to get the clamp stand that fits right into the controller arms was only about $16. It seems a perfect solution for my own aging eyes.
My next buy is probably going to have to be some kind of sunshield.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've decided to go the iPad mini route, but still undecided on generation. Your input has helped me tremendously, both in not necessarily needing cellular service and the fact that my older eyes will appreciate a larger monitor, and I can see times I will use the iPad mini and wifi, other than flying the drone. Thank you all again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livewire