DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now that iPads are on sale at BB...do I get a CrystalSky?

tibook

Reactions
mini 4's (450 nits) can be had for $274.99

iPad Pro 9.7" (510 nits) for $399.99

I've got a mini 4 in a holder for mavic and the size is great, but it is a little hard to see in sunlight.

I've got an Inspire 2 showing up today as well. I don't know if I should go iPad Pro on that or get the CrystalSky. I'm not a fan of knowing its running Android and reading all the initial reviews on it, seems they still don't have the software figured out.

But an integrated solution is always nice, and the brightness would be helpful. I would think 1000 nits is plenty, but I tend to fly in mornings and evenings.

You have valid points, The iPads come nowhere near the brightness of the Crystalsky.

I have been using our 5.5 " Crystalsky monitor on the I2, Mavic and Spark for a couple of weeks now. It does not seem to have any issues with the heat we have here in South West Florida. I fly through the day in the morning, evening and mid day situations. Occasionally during mid day sunshine I have to shade the Crystalsky with my hat brim or head to fine tune exposure but mostly the screen is bright enough.

The firmware appears to be stable, I have had some issues with the Spark using wifi to connect to the CS.

I find myself wanting to use the Crystalsky over the iPad Mini 4. There are some CPU issues using the iPad mini 4 going on now with the latest firmware for the I2. Hopefully a new firmware will correct that.

You have valid points, The iPads come nowhere near the brightness of the Crystalsky.

I have been using our 5.5 " Crystalsky monitor on the I2, Mavic and Spark for a couple of weeks now. It does not seem to have any issues with the heat we have here in South West Florida. I fly through the day in the morning, evening and mid day situations. Occasionally during mid day sunshine I have to shade the Crystalsky with my hat brim or head to fine tune exposure but mostly the screen is bright enough.

The firmware appears to be stable, I have had some issues with the Spark using wifi to connect to the CS.

I find myself wanting to use the Crystalsky over the iPad Mini 4. There are some CPU issues using the iPad mini 4 going on now with the latest firmware for the I2. Hopefully a new firmware will correct that.

I imagine I would as well just because of the screen brightness. But you can't use apps like airmap with it, it doesn't have built in GPS (come on now DJI).

I figured maybe the best thing would be to buy one CS 7.85 and just move it between the Mavic and the I2. But geez all I read are problems with it...

Otherwise I'll buy one of these 9.7 pros on sale and have a mini 4 and a pro 9.7 dedicated to each bird.

Yeah. I'm torn as well. And then I think, well, if going for it, go all the way and get Ultra. But its another month at least. So then do I buy another mini 4, or spend $200 extra and have a 5.5 CS.

I already have an iPad Pro 10.5, so I don't exactly need another iPad. Granted, they do a lot more. And its stable iOS. And hard to beat $275.

It is hard to see on a sunny day though. I think today convinced me I'll at least need one of the CS.

I imagine I would as well just because of the screen brightness. But you can't use apps like airmap with it, it doesn't have built in GPS (come on now DJI).

I figured maybe the best thing would be to buy one CS 7.85 and just move it between the Mavic and the I2. But geez all I read are problems with it...

Otherwise I'll buy one of these 9.7 pros on sale and have a mini 4 and a pro 9.7 dedicated to each bird.

The specs say it does have GPS/Glonass.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.31.25 PM.png

Reactions: Jamison74
Yeah. I'm torn as well. And then I think, well, if going for it, go all the way and get Ultra. But its another month at least. So then do I buy another mini 4, or spend $200 extra and have a 5.5 CS.

I already have an iPad Pro 10.5, so I don't exactly need another iPad. Granted, they do a lot more. And its stable iOS. And hard to beat $275.

It is hard to see on a sunny day though. I think today convinced me I'll at least need one of the CS.

Isn't wonderful to have lots of choices! Let us know if we can help.

I think I'll wait for the 2000nit 7.85" model. When I saw the Crystal Sky tablets at CES and NAB this year I wasn't impressed with the brightness. Yes it was bright, but I was indoors. I expected it to be blinding inside. I found the brightness setting in the display and it was on the brightest. I think I'd be disappointed in 1000 when I'm outdoors, as I think their rating may be off a little. It didn't look much brighter than my LG-G5 phone, just a little. I'll be curious to hear feedback in August after they start shipping. I suggest you get a demo at a dealer, OUTDOORS, before committing, or buy from a dealer that has a "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" return policy, in case you're not happy.

I really think the only viable solution every can be happy with when buying a Crystal Sky tablet is to have an iPad as backup, for those times you need to use 3rd party software. DJI offers a clip option for the Crystal Sky mount for this purpose, specifically to use an iPad in a pinch.

upload_2017-7-19_22-15-17.png

Last edited:
I think I'll wait for the 2000nit 7.85" model. When I saw the Crystal Sky tablets at CES and NAB this year I wasn't impressed with the brightness. Yes it was bright, but I was indoors. I expected it to be blinding inside. I found the brightness setting in the display and it was on the brightest. I think I'd be disappointed in 1000 when I'm outdoors, as I think their rating may be off a little. It didn't look much brighter than my LG-G5 phone, just a little. I'll be curious to hear feedback in August after they start shipping. I suggest you get a demo at a dealer, OUTDOORS, before committing, or buy from a dealer that has a "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" return policy, in case you're not happy.

I really think the only viable solution every can be happy with when buying a Crystal Sky tablet is to have an iPad as backup, for those times you need to use 3rd party software. DJI offers a clip option for the Crystal Sky mount for this purpose, specifically to use an iPad in a pinch.

View attachment 17707

Nice about the clip. This is why I'm gonna get the ultra brite. If I'm giving up flexibility it needs to be amazing at its one trick.

If you could only have one iPad as a backup, would you do a mini 4 or the pro 9.7? I've only used a mini on a mount, and a 10.5 on a table.

Assuming it's for backup, I'd use the mini 4 because it's small and light to always have in your backpack ready to use. If you plan to use iOS more than 33% of the time I would use an Air 2, which is what I use today with Phantoms. I'm unaware of an easy way to use Crystal Sky with Mavic, which I thought I'd mention since we're in a Mavic forum.

Just trying to think if I'm going to have a 7.85" CS, what iPad do I want to have around for the two drones. The pro is a little bigger and a tad brighter, and $125 more.

Get the ipad. My crystalsky is collecting dust because it is so glitch filled. If I attempt to fly with it, I lose signal and the video transmission breaks up. If I use my iphone or ipad mini it works just fine. Im waiting for the next crystalsky firmware update since my unit worked perfectly until the last update made it go full retard.

Get the ipad. My crystalsky is collecting dust because it is so glitch filled. If I attempt to fly with it, I lose signal and the video transmission breaks up. If I use my iphone or ipad mini it works just fine. Im waiting for the next crystalsky firmware update since my unit worked perfectly until the last update made it go full retard.

See, hopefully another month gives them a chance to tighten up their android code. They HAVE to get this right, they've committed to product with it.

I bought a mini and a pro from BB. Deciding which one to open first so that I can return the other with no penalty if CS is solid by end of august

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13