DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now that the dust has settled... how is the Mavic 3 (and 3 Cine) really?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, when this was released, I watched all the review videos and people seemed stoked (with a few caveats about features that were missing but would come soon). Criticisms were there but they weren't too serious although a few things that concern me.

I still am not aware of a drone that can do what this can at anywhere near this price, so it's still pretty much the drone I feel I "need", but I just want to go into it with my eyes open to its limitations so I can work around them.

So now that it's been out for a while, what are your honest thoughts (Especially those who actually have one or have used it).

- Is this the Mavic 3 you were waiting for? Why or why not?

- What has pleasantly suprised you?

- What has let you down? (And can the Mavic 3 fix it via firmware, or will that only happen with a Mavic 4?)

- Thoughts in the Cine (Specifically the ProRes itself). How necessary is it for what you do?

- For pro, and semi pro filming use... What jobs is this drone good for, and what is it unsuitable for? (At what point do you need to "upgrade" to an inspire or something like that to satisfy yourself and your clients?)

- Is this the Mavic 3 you were waiting for? Why or why not? Yes and No. Great camera but too many bugs still for the price point- GPS delays, no Airsense, no promised 4G, no 200FPS etc etc etc

- What has pleasantly suprised you? Camera is good but for its size and price it had to be

- What has let you down? (And can the Mavic 3 fix it via firmware, or will that only happen with a Mavic 4?) I have faith Dji will resolve these issues, they just dragging their feet about it

- Thoughts in the Cine (Specifically the ProRes itself). How necessary is it for what you do? Don't own the Cine

I agree with Suren. When the M3 gets in the air, and that camera takes over (the image coming out of it is simply stunning). Image above everything is what DJI was going for; they delivered just that.

- What has let you down? (And can the Mavic 3 fix it via firmware, or will that only happen with a Mavic 4?)
Have you missed all the discussion about the poor GPS performance of the M3 since DJI broke it with the firmware they released in December?
They have been attempting to fix it since then.
Two weeks ago they indicated that they have identified the problem and will have it fixed in two months.
It's amazing that they haven't been able to fix it yet and every day this goes on makes it seem less likely that they will be able to.

Have you missed all the discussion about the poor GPS performance of the M3 since DJI broke it with the firmware they released in December?
They have been attempting to fix it since then.
Two weeks ago they indicated that they have identified the problem and will have it fixed in two months.
It's amazing that they haven't been able to fix it yet and every day this goes on makes it seem less likely that they will be able to.
I actually did miss that kind of. I knew there was a few issues, including a few that were pretty major. I guess this was one of them.

So, what is the practical problem with the GPS? Can it not return to home well etc? Does it prevent it from using waypoints etc? Or other?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
- Is this the Mavic 3 you were waiting for? Why or why not? Yes and No. Great camera but too many bugs still for the price point- GPS delays, no Airsense, no promised 4G, no 200FPS etc etc etc

- What has pleasantly suprised you? Camera is good but for its size and price it had to be

- What has let you down? (And can the Mavic 3 fix it via firmware, or will that only happen with a Mavic 4?) I have faith Dji will resolve these issues, they just dragging their feet about it

- Thoughts in the Cine (Specifically the ProRes itself). How necessary is it for what you do? Don't own the Cine
So, have DJI added or fixed anything since launch? (Or broken anything else with firmware like apparently the GPS was broken?)

Do you think those missing features and bugs will be ironed out and make it eventually? Or did they over promise? Does that make it "unsuitable" for certain professional use? Doesn't no Airsense technically make it "illegal"? I thought that was a requirement?

Did they make any improvements to the tele camera that I may not know about? (I heard they tweaked it, but I am doubting it's "impressive" next to the M4/3?)

So with the stock 3, do you ever kind of wish you had Pro-Res? Any Artefacts you think Pro-res might fix?

So, what is the practical problem with the GPS? Can it not return to home well etc? Does it prevent it from using waypoints etc? Or other?
The problem is that the drone can be very slow to acquire sats in a cold start and for some users that can take 5 minutes or more.
It's a baffling problem made more embarassing since GPS has always worked perfectly in DJI drones before this and before release they announced:
Mavic 3 comes with a powerful positioning algorithm that improves hovering precision with signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than ever.

The Mavic 3 is not currently able to fly waypoint missions.
Do you think those missing features and bugs will be ironed out and make it eventually?
A lot of the features missing at launch have been added.
That wasn't a genuine problem as was known before anyone bought the Mavic 3.
Doesn't no Airsense technically make it "illegal"? I thought that was a requirement?
Airsense is not a legal requirement ... for many users it's just a gimmick.
Did they make any improvements to the tele camera that I may not know about? (I heard they tweaked it, but I am doubting it's "impressive" next to the M4/3?)
DJI said they made some tweak but nothing that made a big difference.
So with the stock 3, do you ever kind of wish you had Pro-Res? Any Artefacts you think Pro-res might fix?
ProRes is something that some high-end professionals use, but not needed for most Mavic buyers.
It involves huge file sizes and requires high performance computers to do post production work.
The non-removeable storage of the cine version is an issue, because users that shoot Prores have to connect the drone to a computer and wait some time to copy the files before flying again.

Last edited:
I don't see Airsense as a gimmick at all. I live just outside an international airports restricted airspace, and in an area with lots of helecopter activity. I've had too many low separation events for comfort, where I'm doing autonomous flight modes such as Hyperlapse or Mastershots where I hear manned aircraft, and when I see them, they are about to overfly my position. We know that our 400 ft restrictions (or less as we get into restricted airspace) are meant to allow separation of UAV and manned aircraft, but there is often less than I am comfortable with especially with helecopters that can, and do fly extremely low altitude flights. The ADS-B readings on recent drones from DJI and Autel Evo 2 Enterprise are incredibly helpful, showing the flight path, ✈️, where the intersection is, and the ALTITUDE transmitted via ADS of the manned aircraft. Mine stopped working on January 23 with firmware release V01.00.0500 and shows zero data, not visual, and no audible warnings. I've sent multiple videos and requests to DJI but apparently there is a gag order or something similar as they simply state "Airsense is there to keep you safe" and refuse to acknowledge its completely inoperative for many Mavic 3 owners.

Also: I never had the RC Pro disconnection from aircraft issue others had. Until a month ago with firmware V01.00.0600. Now, I get them constantly. So much that it kills any joy I have flying now that the weather has warmed. To be fair, it happens with no discernable pattern, but most often when the drone is close, such as while landing. Thats is incredibly frustrating.

The "360° obstacle avoidance is crap, plain and simple. The glass lens, wide angle sensors get ghosting effects from low sun, and I can't even take waypoint or course lock hyperlapses at sunset. There's a huge uncovered area above and forward of the aircraft when in flight.

These types of issues are keeping Mavic 3 from being a dependable, "Flagship Camera Drone" as DJI positioned it. And they know it. My conversations with support management indicate they know quite well that it is flawed, and even support has doubts it will ever be put right. I bought this after waiting over a year with my Mavic Air 2, and Mini 2, skipping the smaller upgrade to Air 2S, with reports that Mavic 3 was imminent. I saw how DJI fixed issues and added features to previous models. None of that has happened with Mavic 3. It has essentially the same flight modes as the much cheaper Air 2S, with better imaging and longer flight times but little else to recommend it. I regret buying into the hype, and I consider selling it often. Assessment: I regret buying it. I'm out of patience and suspect DJI hugely miscalculated releasing production hardware out of sequence without completing tests - then found out these limitations as festures were implemented months later, when they tested and proved its capabilities, and shortcomings, right along with foolish customers like myself who trusted them to deliver. How incredibly stupid a decision that was for a multi billion dollar company. The Mavic 3 isn't a complete failure. But from where I sit. It's **** close.

Reactions: MPone
I don't see Airsense as a gimmick at all. I live just outside an international airports restricted airspace, and in an area with lots of helecopter activity. I've had too many low separation events for comfort, where I'm doing autonomous flight modes such as Hyperlapse or Mastershots where I hear manned aircraft, and when I see them, they are about to overfly my position. We know that our 400 ft restrictions (or less as we get into restricted airspace) are meant to allow separation of UAV and manned aircraft, but there is often less than I am comfortable with especially with helecopters that can, and do fly extremely low altitude flights. The ADS-B readings on recent drones from DJI and Autel Evo 2 Enterprise are incredibly helpful, showing the flight path, ✈️, where the intersection is, and the ALTITUDE transmitted via ADS of the manned aircraft. Mine stopped working on January 23 with firmware release V01.00.0500 and shows zero data, not visual, and no audible warnings. I've sent multiple videos and requests to DJI but apparently there is a gag order or something similar as they simply state "Airsense is there to keep you safe" and refuse to acknowledge its completely inoperative for many Mavic 3 owners.

Also: I never had the RC Pro disconnection from aircraft issue others had. Until a month ago with firmware V01.00.0600. Now, I get them constantly. So much that it kills any joy I have flying now that the weather has warmed. To be fair, it happens with no discernable pattern, but most often when the drone is close, such as while landing. Thats is incredibly frustrating.

The "360° obstacle avoidance is crap, plain and simple. The glass lens, wide angle sensors get ghosting effects from low sun, and I can't even take waypoint or course lock hyperlapses at sunset. There's a huge uncovered area above and forward of the aircraft when in flight.

These types of issues are keeping Mavic 3 from being a dependable, "Flagship Camera Drone" as DJI positioned it. And they know it. My conversations with support management indicate they know quite well that it is flawed, and even support has doubts it will ever be put right. I bought this after waiting over a year with my Mavic Air 2, and Mini 2, skipping the smaller upgrade to Air 2S, with reports that Mavic 3 was imminent. I saw how DJI fixed issues and added features to previous models. None of that has happened with Mavic 3. It has essentially the same flight modes as the much cheaper Air 2S, with better imaging and longer flight times but little else to recommend it. I regret buying into the hype, and I consider selling it often. Assessment: I regret buying it. I'm out of patience and suspect DJI hugely miscalculated releasing production hardware out of sequence without completing tests - then found out these limitations as festures were implemented months later, when they tested and proved its capabilities, and shortcomings, right along with foolish customers like myself who trusted them to deliver. How incredibly stupid a decision that was for a multi billion dollar company. The Mavic 3 isn't a complete failure. But from where I sit. It's **** close.
Couldn’t have put it better.

I have had my M3 for a week and a half. I have really tried to decide if it was ”good enough” or should I send it back. After the first day, no decision. This is an amazing machine. Yes a few issues, but they don’t affect me much. GPS cold startup takes 2.5 minutes. Battery swap GPS reconnect takes 45 seconds. Both are noticeable and slow, but you just plan for it. I am amazed at how quiet the takeoff is, much more comfortable to launch without the noise. Camera is exceptional. Battery life is great. If the M3 had waypoint support, SDK support, and maybe Thermal it would be perfect. Cheers.

My view is that I'm seriously considering selling my M3 and all it's fixings, including the ProRC. Kinda done with geofencing safety issues not being addressed, firmware stupidity from a huge company, the lies, and of course the fanboys who pile onto anyone who has anything negative to say about DJI and the M3 CF.

Reactions: Ziggy01
I have posted my thoughts before but so ce you asked, I will post here again.

This drone is amazing, not perfect but really good. The image quality is good enough for high end video production. The flight time is fantastic, makes flying and capturing imagery so much more versatile. The flight characteristics are great. It is fast and handles well even in stiff wind. The build quality is is great as well as the overall design. The zoom /explorer mode makes for some interesting possibilities and creative options.

I don't have the Cine version and don't see the need for it honestly. Finally, I purchased the RC Pro controller and it is a game changer.

Have there been hiccups, yes but they are mostly addressed now and there are no more gaping holes in functionality or features.

You didn't mention what you currently have. If you currently have nothing, or anything far below the previous "best of the consumer level" models (like the M2P), then the M3 is going to be an easy upgrade choice for you.

I already have the M2P, so the M3, at that price with all of the problems, is a no go for me at this point.

It sounds like you mostly shoot video: I'm not sure if the video is any better at all than the M2P unless you get the Cine, and of course ka-ching on that. So ProRes needs to be a hard requirement for you to take that jump. But if already have an M2P already and are looking at the non-Cine, I'm not sure there are benefits for you.

Above the M3? I personally have had a lot of thoughts trying to justify jumping to an Inspire. If I already had paying clients (I don't), I think that would be a stronger choice for me. Since I'm mostly a stills photographer, the big draw here would be the superior optics—high quality interchangeable lenses. But it also shoots ProRes and has SSD storage options.

Chris

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have had my M3 for a week and a half. I have really tried to decide if it was ”good enough” or should I send it back. After the first day, no decision. This is an amazing machine. Yes a few issues, but they don’t affect me much. GPS cold startup takes 2.5 minutes. Battery swap GPS reconnect takes 45 seconds. Both are noticeable and slow, but you just plan for it. I am amazed at how quiet the takeoff is, much more comfortable to launch without the noise. Camera is exceptional. Battery life is great. If the M3 had waypoint support, SDK support, and maybe Thermal it would be perfect. Cheers.
As you said "If the M3 had waypoint support, SDK support, and maybe Thermal it would be perfect." supposedly, those are both coming this year by the end of Q2 (Finger's crossed)

So, have DJI added or fixed anything since launch? (Or broken anything else with firmware like apparently the GPS was broken?)

Do you think those missing features and bugs will be ironed out and make it eventually? Or did they over promise? Does that make it "unsuitable" for certain professional use? Doesn't no Airsense technically make it "illegal"? I thought that was a requirement?

Meta has answered that better than I could.
Yes, but it is just a rumor at this point, not confirmed yet
That will not be on a consumer drone but the Enterprise version. There is a M3E coming soon as per leaks from OsitaLV

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S