DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now that the Street View app is being discontinued, is there a method to upload and adjust the location of 360 photos on Google Maps StreetView?

DJIPilot

Reactions
I use a DJI Mini2 to take hundreds of 360 photos and then used the IOS app StreetView from
Google to take the photo and place it on the map. This process was not perfect as the DJI software does not add the GPS location to the 360 photo, even though it knows where each of the individual photos were taken (with both GPS coords in the individual images as well as the flight path), but the process worked. Based on view counts on my 360 photos, it looks like Google users were enjoying the content I was posting to the map.

The Google recommendation to use Google maps is garbage as it is more suited for specific known locations/businesses and does not display the 360 photos correctly. The Google 360 Video tool does not allow photos.

Is there a google tool I am missing?
Is there a third-party tool I should look into?

Has anyone found a way yet to convert the 360 panorama images into a 360 mp4 video ?
Have uploaded a lot in the past via the streetview app but that no longer is working :-(

So any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

So I have two bits of info to follow up on this thread -

1. to answer the question about converting 360 panos to videos - The UL2GSV suite of tools has a tool to do exactly this. There are some limitations and it may not work for your use case. For example, in my case, I fly the drone to a location, or use a Insta360 X3, to get a 360 photo at a random location. This type of case will not work to upload 360 photos to google as the "GPS jumps around too much." The ideal use case is if you take a photo, move a few feet, take another, and repeat. This works well with the UL2GSV tool that does this when adding to GSV.

2. There is a beta app out there (I am unsure if the builder wants me to note it yet), that will use the GSV API to directly upload 360 photos without the need to convert to video. I imagine the app dev will release a new version soon...

So I have two bits of info to follow up on this thread -

1. to answer the question about converting 360 panos to videos - The UL2GSV suite of tools has a tool to do exactly this. There are some limitations and it may not work for your use case. For example, in my case, I fly the drone to a location, or use a Insta360 X3, to get a 360 photo at a random location. This type of case will not work to upload 360 photos to google as the "GPS jumps around too much." The ideal use case is if you take a photo, move a few feet, take another, and repeat. This works well with the UL2GSV tool that does this when adding to GSV.

2. There is a beta app out there (I am unsure if the builder wants me to note it yet), that will use the GSV API to directly upload 360 photos without the need to convert to video. I imagine the app dev will release a new version soon...

can you share more details about the app?

Sure, I have a blurb I wrote for another similar post -

I found a solution, well, I was chatting with an awesome programmer that is active on facebook groups that built a toolset called UL2GSV. He built a new jpg2gsv tool to use the API to upload photos. Here is his project page - JPG2GSV - Google Groups. I have donated to him and I recommend everyone do the same! As for how this works in my drone process - I capture the 360 photos with my drone, transfer the original folder of photos to my pc, stitch then with hugin (GitHub - RookieITSec/HuginPanoScript: I have been working to build a better process to build pano images from my DJI Mini 2 drone.), make sure they are all good, then use the jpg2gsv tool to upload all the completed photos to GSV. I also have a similar workflow with photos taken with my Insta360 x3 - after working through the problems Insta has with their firmware (GPS metadata tags super incorrect on Pureshot photos - I found taking regular JPG spheres has the correct GPS data), I do basically the same thing - capture the photo, copy to my computer, use the insta360 studio software to export the photo, check the photo, then upload with the jpg2gsv tool.

Sure, I have a blurb I wrote for another similar post -

I found a solution, well, I was chatting with an awesome programmer that is active on facebook groups that built a toolset called UL2GSV. He built a new jpg2gsv tool to use the API to upload photos. Here is his project page - JPG2GSV - Google Groups. I have donated to him and I recommend everyone do the same! As for how this works in my drone process - I capture the 360 photos with my drone, transfer the original folder of photos to my pc, stitch then with hugin (GitHub - RookieITSec/HuginPanoScript: I have been working to build a better process to build pano images from my DJI Mini 2 drone.), make sure they are all good, then use the jpg2gsv tool to upload all the completed photos to GSV. I also have a similar workflow with photos taken with my Insta360 x3 - after working through the problems Insta has with their firmware (GPS metadata tags super incorrect on Pureshot photos - I found taking regular JPG spheres has the correct GPS data), I do basically the same thing - capture the photo, copy to my computer, use the insta360 studio software to export the photo, check the photo, then upload with the jpg2gsv tool.
thanks. that JPG2GSV seems to be just the ticket.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112