DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now that they don't make the Phantom 4 Pro anymore, I'm leaning toward buying the Mavic 2 Pro with Hasselblad L1D-20c camera. Any suggestions?

Hitchy

Reactions
I was about to buy the Phantom 4 pro when I heard they won't make them anymore. Thought it had the best camera. Now I'm looking at the Mavic 2 Pro. Primary use will be photography and video. Is the Hasselblad L1D-20c camera as good as the one on the Phantom 4 pro? Is the video 60fps or higher? Is this camera as good as my Canon 6D? Will I be able to see the display in bright sunlight? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet skier
Although I don't know anything about Phantoms, I can tell you a little about the M2P from a new user perspective. The Hasselblad seems to be a very good camera. The shot are crisp and clear with both photos and video. The video framerate can be selected at 1080p from 24 to 120 fps. I haven't tried it at 120 but have tried 60 once and it actually looked a little too sharp to me than 30 which is what I usually shoot at. The display is a whole different story. I have the old style controller instead of the smart controller and I use an ipad mini and it can be a problem in bright sunlight. I bought a visor for the ipad and it made a fairly good difference but when the sun hit the screen it was still washed out. I bought a non glare screen cover for the ipad and with that and the visor it was much better.

Reactions: Hitchy
Although I don't know anything about Phantoms, I can tell you a little about the M2P from a new user perspective. The Hasselblad seems to be a very good camera. The shot are crisp and clear with both photos and video. The video framerate can be selected at 1080p from 24 to 120 fps. I haven't tried it at 120 but have tried 60 once and it actually looked a little too sharp to me than 30 which is what I usually shoot at. The display is a whole different story. I have the old style controller instead of the smart controller and I use an ipad mini and it can be a problem in bright sunlight. I bought a visor for the ipad and it made a fairly good difference but when the sun hit the screen it was still washed out. I bought a non glare screen cover for the ipad and with that and the visor it was much better.
Thanks!

The m2p camera has a bigger sensor then a good cellphone but smaller than micro 4/3s which is two steps in size below a DSLR sensor. If they had put Zeiss glass in the hassy branded camera then I would never have questioned getting the mp2 but I am still super glad I did. The extra info in the files is well worth the jump.

I was about to buy the Phantom 4 pro when I heard they won't make them anymore. Thought it had the best camera. Now I'm looking at the Mavic 2 Pro. Primary use will be photography and video. Is the Hasselblad L1D-20c camera as good as the one on the Phantom 4 pro? Is the video 60fps or higher? Is this camera as good as my Canon 6D? Will I be able to see the display in bright sunlight? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
The m2p is a great drone but it does not have 60 fps. only goes up to 30 fps at 4K. Also it is an electronic shutter which can cause image stuttering when paning . It does shoot 2.7K at 60 fps. Overall it shoots stunning video

The m2p is a great drone but it does not have 60 fps. only goes up to 30 fps at 4K. Also it is an electronic shutter which can cause image stuttering when paning . It does shoot 2.7K at 60 fps. Overall it shoots stunning video
it doesn't come with a display. unless you order one separately as stated before smart phones and iPads are not the brightest. My biggest problem is not seeing power lines

Hi
Stuttering in pan footage is bothering so much for me.. can you explain why an electronic shutter makes stuttering? I use 24 fps and 1/50 speed. I'm i right?

Hi
Stuttering in pan footage is bothering so much for me.. can you explain why an electronic shutter makes stuttering? I use 24 fps and 1/50 speed. I'm i right?
Wrong thread for this, but I'll answer it anyway. Neither the shutter speed, nor the fact that it is electronic has anything to do with "stuttering."

There are two artifacts that are sometimes referred to this way: strobing and judder.

Strobing is an artifact that is caused by high shutter speeds. You will only see it if an object is moving rapidly through the field of view. 1/50 of a second for 24 fps material is the correct shutter speed and you will not get strobing.

Judder is an artifact that is created within your brain when you use a frame rate (frames per second) that is lower than the persistence of vision threshold. 24 fps is below that threshold, and if you pan quickly or fly the drone so that the landscape passes by the lens quickly, your eye will perceive multiple images at once. If you look at this 16 fps 1929 Cubs vs. Athletics World Series footage that I transferred (but did not restore), you'll see the judder on the vertical supports of the backstop and on the buildings in the outfield:

You need to use frame rates higher than 48 fps to avoid judder. This means that you need to either use 30 fps interlaced (which has 60 events per second) or 60 fps progressive. If you want to use 24 fps, you need to do what Hollywood movie makers do: avoid fast horizontal pans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatever
Wrong thread for this, but I'll answer it anyway. Neither the shutter speed, nor the fact that it is electronic has anything to do with "stuttering."

There are two artifacts that are sometimes referred to this way: strobing and judder.

Strobing is an artifact that is caused by high shutter speeds. You will only see it if an object is moving rapidly through the field of view. 1/50 of a second for 24 fps material is the correct shutter speed and you will not get strobing.

Judder is an artifact that is created within your brain when you use a frame rate (frames per second) that is lower than the persistence of vision threshold. 24 fps is below that threshold, and if you pan quickly or fly the drone so that the landscape passes by the lens quickly, your eye will perceive multiple images at once. If you look at this 1929 Cubs vs. Athletics World Series footage that I transferred (but did not restore), you'll see the judder on the vertical supports of the backstop and on the buildings in the outfield:

You need to use frame rates higher than 48 fps to avoid judder. This means that you need to either use 30 fps interlaced (which has 60 events per second) or 60 fps progressive. If you want to use 24 fps, you need to do what Hollywood movie makers do: avoid fast horizontal pans.
I really thank you for the clarity of your explanation! I'm sorry for the OT, but I've been trying to dig about the cause of the stuttering for month and you came across my way! Now is clear... if I want tu use 24 fps I need to move the bird VEEERY slowly.

Thanks again
Andrea

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom