DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NTSB Investigates Drone Injury

The NTSB regulation CFR 830 requires that the operator of an aircraft provide notification of any “accident” and certain “incidents” to the NTSB immediately. An accident is where (1) a person on board suffers serious injury or loss of life or (2) where the aircraft suffers substantial damage.
Yeah, I know those regs. But he hurt himself. It was his decision to make. I can't believe he simply reported himself because of the rule book. I wouldn't want that incident on my permanent record. I think he may sue the DJI for negligence or something. When suing someone in an accident case, the first thing you do is get your injuries documented.

Question. Just asking. Why do you think he reported himself to the authorities? I doubt the ER doctors did. It's not in their purview to do so.
Because Federal Air Regulations require it. No sense compounding the problem, follow the rules.

Reactions: Thomas B
Because Federal Air Regulations require it. No sense compounding the problem, follow the rules.
I've had a lot of experience with government entities, just doing their job. When they get involved, the problem may get compounded much more, than if you just left it alone and said nothing. IF HE HURT SOMEONE ELSE OR THEIR PROPERTY, he, as would I, DEFINITELY REPORT IT. I'm thinking he may be talking to an injury lawyer. I think there is more to his NTSB reporting than meets the eye. I would rather keep the authorities out of my own stupidity and my own injury. If any one agrees OR disagrees feel free to comment. MAYBE HE NEEDED TO REPORT IT FOR INSURANCE REASONS. I don't know. He must have had more of a reason than just following regulation. If I crashed my car into my own house, I certainly wouldn't call the Dept of Transportation, unless the insurance company needed a report to get the damage covered. He also, may have felt obligated to do so, BECAUSE OF THE WITNESS, his potential buyer. I speculating all of this of course. I just don't see a benefit to reporting you own damage to yourself, unless you need it for insurance, lawsuit, potential witness reporting it, others people or property harmed, etc. Who knows, maybe he is just a really by the book kind of guy.

So, in the air space research, he saw nothing. The Pilot in Command didn't check with Aloft, Be4ufly, or Airman before takeoff. He did not deserve the injury, no one does, but Darwin would be pleased. What a failure of checklist, situational awareness and preparation. It is this (deleted by moderator) that has caused many restrictions.
This area is only restricted by DJI GeoZones. It’s not actually in restricted airspace so it doesn’t show up on any of those as being an issue and it was legal to fly there.

Also again he was not in the DJI GeoZone. The fact that there was a GeoZone nearby is almost irrelevant information. The drone malfunctioned plain and simple

Why did he get the NTSB involved. I know the rule, you are supposed too in a situation like his. But he was the pilot. I would only report it, if I were planning to sue the drone manufacturer or make a disability claim. I suspect the game this guy is playing, though unintentional, is not over. I think he may get the judge on his side. A drone shouldn't lock out the drone pilot in any circumstance. If the judge sees it this way, this pilot's gonna be rich.
Exactly. This was DJI’s fault and hopefully they will get sued and have to change their policy.

An aircraft should never lock out the pilot in flight under any circumstances.

Reactions: Tom Johnson
Why did he get the NTSB involved. I know the rule, you are supposed too in a situation like his.
Maybe because he knew and chose to follow the the rule. And because it occurred in front of many witnesses and was on the news.

Reactions: Thomas B
Have you ever stuck a metal knife or fork in a toaster to get a stuck piece of toast out when you were young? I did. No harm done. Didn't feel good though. "ME SO STUPID"
In WA and many other states, the courts follow the Sudden Emergency Doctrine:

The Sudden Emergency Doctrine
A person who is suddenly confronted by an emergency through no negligence of his or her own and who is compelled to decide instantly how to avoid injury and who makes such a choice as a reasonably careful person placed in such a position might make, is not negligent even though it is not the wisest choice.

For example, imagine that a car passenger suddenly has a heart attack. The driver speeds through a light just as it is turning red, in an attempt to get to the emergency room faster. The driver slams into a vehicle that has just legally entered the intersection. A jury could conclude that the driver’s decision to run the light was reasonable given the emergency situation.

A piece of toast stuck in toaster is not a true sudden emergency so the doctrine will not help you cgmaxed. Hopefully that time no police choppers were called to scene!

Reactions: Tom Johnson
In WA and many other states, the courts follow the Sudden Emergency Doctrine:

The Sudden Emergency Doctrine
A person who is suddenly confronted by an emergency through no negligence of his or her own and who is compelled to decide instantly how to avoid injury and who makes such a choice as a reasonably careful person placed in such a position might make, is not negligent even though it is not the wisest choice.

For example, imagine that a car passenger suddenly has a heart attack. The driver speeds through a light just as it is turning red, in an attempt to get to the emergency room faster. The driver slams into a vehicle that has just legally entered the intersection. A jury could conclude that the driver’s decision to run the light was reasonable given the emergency situation.

A piece of toast stuck in toaster is not a true sudden emergency so the doctrine will not help you cgmaxed. Hopefully that time no police choppers were called to scene!
lol

Reactions: wsteele
When your butt deep in alligators, the first priority is to drain the swamp.
1) he had no issues during flight, the geofence area was the building and rec yard. Wonder if he maybe flew behind and on direct RTH it tried to go through fence? Hence the warnings during RTH but not during flight.
2) let it run down batteries and land....no one has mentioned ..... MOVE THE CAR.
3) doubt it had connection for him to start RTH since it would not respond to other commands. It probably did what it was suppose to on lost connection....RTH.
4) probably did not have a good home point lock on launch and it kinda got close. Detecting the obstacle in it’s LZ it hovered. Once again MOVE THE CAR.

Reactions: Armillaria
Why did he get the NTSB involved. I know the rule, you are supposed too in a situation like his. But he was the pilot. I would only report it, if I were planning to sue the drone manufacturer or make a disability claim. I suspect the game this guy is playing, though unintentional, is not over. I think he may get the judge on his side. A drone shouldn't lock out the drone pilot in any circumstance. If the judge sees it this way, this pilot's gonna be rich.
As a Part107 Pilot you have to report all incidences.

Have you ever stuck a metal knife or fork in a toaster to get a stuck piece of toast out when you were young? I did. No harm done. Didn't feel good though. "ME SO STUPID"
My fails were always closing the wrong breaker when rewiring outlets. Now I wear my hair spiked as camouflage .

As a Part107 Pilot you have to report all incidences.

Huh? Not exactly!! It depends on the damage/injury sustained. Also keep in mind there are TWO levels/pathways for reporting and in some instances BOTH must be utilized:

NTSB and/or FAA

FAA Accident Reporting -

107.9 Accident reporting.

No later than 10 calendar days after an operation that meets the criteria of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section, a remote pilot in command must report to the FAA, in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, any operation of the small unmanned aircraft involving at least:

(a) Serious injury to any person or any loss of consciousness; or

(b) Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(1) The cost of repair (including materials and labor) does not exceed $500; or

(2) The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.

NTSB Accident Reporting -
Immediate NTSB Notification "Serious" -

• Report a “serious accident/incident” (Part 830’s definitions) immediately to the NTSB Response Operations Center.
Unmanned aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of any public or civil unmanned aircraft system that takes place between the time that the system is activated with the purpose of flight and the time that the system is deactivated at the conclusion of its mission, in which:

(1) Any person suffers death or serious injury; or

(2) The aircraft has a maximum gross takeoff weight of 300 pounds or greater and sustains substantial damage.

10 day NTSB Notification -
  • Notify the FAA within 10 days of the occurrence of an accident (107.9 “accident”).
It's also good to know about the NASA AVAITION REPORTING system and that you only have 10-day to fill that form to hopefully help if there is any repercussions to the incident.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661