DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Nuclear Power Station!

Before anyone starts flying near nuclear power plants, we should note that the Dungeness facility near Kent, England has been shut down since 2018.

I have no idea what the regulations are about flying nearby.

Nice video - flying and editing. And interesting countryside. Some background information would be a great addition to the post. The title screen for the video suggests it's a no-fly zone. Fact or click bait?

Before anyone starts flying near nuclear power plants, we should note that the Dungeness facility near Kent, England has been shut down since 2018.

Nice video - flying and editing. And interesting countryside. Some background information would be a great addition to the post. The title screen for the video suggests it's a no-fly zone. Fact or click bait?
Fair point, I was a little vague! Although the plant is moving to the defueling stage it has the same flight restrictions as any other nuclear plant in the UK. To fly here I had to procure an Exemption to the 2016 air navigation order from the CAA and the airspace sponsor, EDF for a recreational flight.

Cheers!

Thanks. I'd encourage you to add that into the Youtube video. I see there's a note in the description, but those are often overlooked.

As is, the video seems to suggest that it's ok to fly that close to a nuclear power plant. And it seems that more than a few drone operators think anything they see done on Youtube is fair game.

Thanks. I'd encourage you to add that into the Youtube video. I see there's a note in the description, but those are often overlooked.

As is, the video seems to suggest that it's ok to fly that close to a nuclear power plant. And it seems that more than a few drone operators think anything they see done on Youtube is fair game.
I have added "With CAA permission" to the title hopefully will be clearer to watchers 😀

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video. Love the soundtrack too. I just posted a power plant (Shoreham and yes it's deactivated) video yesterday.

Nicely done . . . !!

Reactions: Rich_fpv
I am puzzled, what was the reason for wanting to make the flight/video?
It's Britain's only desert!! The point of the video was that it's a very unique location. Due to the restrictions from the 2 nautical mile nuclear zone, the airport and the military area it takes a lot of effort to fly there and get that aerial perspective of a very beautiful area.

It's Britain's only desert!! The point of the video was that it's a very unique location. Due to the restrictions from the 2 nautical mile nuclear zone, the airport and the military area it takes a lot of effort to fly there and get that aerial perspective of a very beautiful area.
Ah I did wonder if "because it's a normally prohibited area" was part of the attraction. That's fair enough, thanks.

I have added "With CAA permission" to the title hopefully will be clearer to watchers 😀
Ah I did wonder if "because it's a normally prohibited area" was part of the attraction. That's fair enough, thanks.
I have only twice tried to fly my mp2 anywhere near my local (Hartlepool) nuclear power station which is still operational and on both occasions had a no fly zone warning

I have only twice tried to fly my mp2 anywhere near my local (Hartlepool) nuclear power station which is still operational and on both occasions had a no fly zone warning
Yes, the trouble is, the DJI map shows it as below. Just the perimeter listed as no fly. In reality, the true exclusion zone is 2 nautical miles as shown in the other diagram. If you are caught flying without an exemption the penalty can be severe.SmartSelect_20220704-171221_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20220704-171050.jpg

From memory I guess I was about 0.5 km NW of the station on the beach walking my dog and attempting to fly, so clearly within the large 2 mile zone.

From memory I guess I was about 0.5 km NW of the station on the beach walking my dog and attempting to fly, so clearly within the large 2 mile zone.
I mean, the chances of getting more than a telling off are slim if you didn't know. Unless you were hovering over the reactor...

I mean, the chances of getting more than a telling off are slim if you didn't know. Unless you were hovering over the reactor...
I have learned my lesson, subsequently I was asked to take an aerial photo of a site west of the station but within the exclusion zone. I request which I rejected.

Thank you for your guidance but as an old man (92) I don't anymore have an inclination to delve into the unknown. I do still, however, enjoy the ability to take the aircraft for a run out and take a photo or 3 for my library.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krautz