DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Nuther newby

JY-tek

Reactions
Just got the Mavic Pro Platinum and flown several flights. Just turned off the Beginner mode yesterday, and took several flights to the max range of about 1500 feet. Boy, this drone is really easy to fly, and super stable in windy conditions. I live in western NC mountains, and we can have some nasty winds at time. I'm very impressed how stable it is in the wind. It can hover at 400 feet in turbulent conditions and the video looks rock solid! I am somewhat concerned about the max height limitations. I live right at the base of a mountain that is 3000 feet higher than my altitude, so I cannot fly in that direction without hitting the mountain. But for now I still have plenty of great places to fly. Just have to be careful not to fly into the many mountains around me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Just got the Mavic Pro Platinum and flown several flights. Just turned off the Beginner mode yesterday, and took several flights to the max range of about 1500 feet. Boy, this drone is really easy to fly, and super stable in windy conditions. I live in western NC mountains, and we can have some nasty winds at time. I'm very impressed how stable it is in the wind. It can hover at 400 feet in turbulent conditions and the video looks rock solid! I am somewhat concerned about the max height limitations. I live right at the base of a mountain that is 3000 feet higher than my altitude, so I cannot fly in that direction without hitting the mountain. But for now I still have plenty of great places to fly. Just have to be careful not to fly into the many mountains around me.
Howdy from Wyoming @JY-tek , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching :)

Welcome! As long as your flight path keeps the drone at 400’ or less, you can probably fly to the top of the mountain. The Max Altitude setting assumes a flat landscape. That’s not your situation, or mine, and it’s fine to change it to permit flights up the mountain. Just keep it low (<=400’ above the ground directly under the aircraft), following the contours of the landscape as you go. Your drone can be any height above (or below) your launch point, as long as it’s never more than +/-350’ above the treetops. Hope that’s good news!
If there’s a downside to this, it’s that you’re required to be able to detect when you’re near 400’ AGL (Above Ground Level) because the drone system can’t. You’ll have to recognize how things below things look from 400AGL—trees, fences, Jeep tracks, anything that provides visual scale—but it’s not that hard (unless you insist on staying right at 400AGL; that’s more of a challenge).

Last edited:
Prismatic, thanks for that information, but I must be understanding the whole altitude and height thing wrong. My understanding is that the max height is in reference to the launch point. The mountain is 3000 feet above that. If the drone is set for max height of 400 feet, does that reference the launch point, or distance to the ground as is is flying along?? Thanks again.

Prismatic, thanks for that information, but I must be understanding the whole altitude and height thing wrong. My understanding is that the max height is in reference to the launch point. The mountain is 3000 feet above that. If the drone is set for max height of 400 feet, does that reference the launch point, or distance to the ground as is is flying along?? Thanks again.
It references the launch point.

My version of Go 4 allowes me to change the max height to 500m which will not be enough for you. There are mods that can remove limits but I have no experience with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu