DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Objects under water

marcomcarneiro

Reactions
Hey gang!
I have been thinking on the best approach to film objects under water, and wanted to drop it here for discussion. Given that the water is clear enough, how would you approach filming objects that are under water?
Yes, probably ND filters to reduce glare, but I'm trying to think on the physics of the sunlight: approaching from above with the sun at an angle, or vice-versa, noon with the drone at an angle. Maybe sunset/sunrise are better because the light will be at a very steep angle (but also not as strong).

Has anyone thought or done this before and care to pitch in? I have a Zoom and a Mini that I will be using for this.
Thanks,
Marco

Be careful flying close to water! Too close and it seems they want land! I did one over water, but high up and could see the bottom just fine.

Hey gang!
I have been thinking on the best approach to film objects under water, and wanted to drop it here for discussion. Given that the water is clear enough, how would you approach filming objects that are under water?
Yes, probably ND filters to reduce glare, but I'm trying to think on the physics of the sunlight: approaching from above with the sun at an angle, or vice-versa, noon with the drone at an angle. Maybe sunset/sunrise are better because the light will be at a very steep angle (but also not as strong).

Has anyone thought or done this before and care to pitch in? I have a Zoom and a Mini that I will be using for this.
Thanks,
Marco
Straight down using a polarising ND filter, first was mid day and second an hour before sunset.
0F00533D-4D24-4520-B3FE-AE6C9A7BC308.jpeg7519BCD7-615D-4160-9BD8-AC503ACA8B69.jpeg

You don’t want an ND filter, you want a polarizing filter to cut water surface glare.
this is true but calm water helps a lot, shoot in the best resolution DNG. Don't plan on finding a lot while flying, you'll need to review your shots after with the zoom. If you find something fly again to that position much lower, say 50 feet or so and hope for calm conditions. I fly around 400 feet for a larger area, zoom in post and then triangulate for a position and go by boat.

Reactions: marcomcarneiro
this is true but calm water helps a lot, shoot in the best resolution DNG. Don't plan on finding a lot while flying, you'll need to review your shots after with the zoom. If you find something fly again to that position much lower, say 50 feet or so and hope for calm conditions. I fly around 400 feet for a larger area, zoom in post and then triangulate for a position and go by boat.
What you say about calm surface conditions definitely plays out.....

One thing you can do is take multiple images from a hover then align, stack and merge in post processing. You might be surprised how much if the changing water surface irregularities can be removed through this simple technique.

Reactions: DonF01
You don’t want an ND filter, you want a polarizing filter to cut water surface glare.
Totally with you, thought of one and wrote the other :)

Straight down using a polarising ND filter, first was mid day and second an hour before sunset.
You bring up an excellent point, OBSALAM. On the second one we can see the low light bringing causing some shadows at the waves. It's something else to consider!

Now I'm considering maybe try both high and low sunlight, and see how they'll turn out. I usually fly over water (Quebec, Canada, we have SO many bodies of water), but it will be the first time trying to capture something below surface.

Reactions: OBSALAM and Kyle76
Yes, probably ND filters to reduce glare, but I'm trying to think on the physics of the sunlight: approaching from above with the sun at an angle, or vice-versa, noon with the drone at an angle.
ND filters won't do a thing to reduce glare.
Polarising filters are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.
If you did manage to orient the filter properly, it will only be working properly while the drone is facing that direction.
Adjusting the angle of the drone relative to the sun is the simplest way to get good results.
You need to have the sun behind the drone so that it's not reflecting back into the camera.
DJI_0299a-XL.jpg

DJI_0308a-XL.jpg

If you did manage to orient the filter properly, it will only be working properly while the drone is facing that direction.
Adjusting the angle of the drone relative to the sun is the simplest way to get good results.
You need to have the sun behind the drone so that it's not reflecting back into the camera.
Nice! Ok, so sun behind the drone (btw, I noticed I see the propellers when the sun is too close to the view angle - I don't have a hood yet).
I'm curious about these. Did you rotate the second pic? The shadows seems to be shorter, which would mean a higher sun, but also make it harder to avoid glare - which is the contrary of what we see.

Nice! Ok, so sun behind the drone (btw, I noticed I see the propellers when the sun is too close to the view angle - I don't have a hood yet).
I'm curious about these. Did you rotate the second pic? The shadows seems to be shorter, which would mean a higher sun, but also make it harder to avoid glare - which is the contrary of what we see.
Those pix were taken 40 seconds apart and show that changing the angle the camera is viewing makes a big difference.

Here is a video I shot with my spark and used a polarized filter. Can see the salmon no problem.

Reactions: aquasun
Hey gang!

Thanks,
Marco

You’ll want to be using a polarizing filter, not a neutral density filter. ND filters are designed to reduce light to the sensor and polarizing filters are designed to reduce glare. Do a little research on the web and you will get a little more understanding of the process involved.

Reactions: marcomcarneiro
Hey gang!

Thanks,
Marco
get a submersible drone (sub)

CellBee Underwater Sea Scooter with Camera Underwater Drone Dual Motors Max Depth 100FT 45min 4mph Water Sports Swimming Pool Diving for Kids Adults

Reactions: Cw4bray
DJI_0299a-XL.jpg

DJI_0308a-XL.jpg
Great illustration!Am I correct that you can adjust the amount of polarization by hovering over water with the gimbal pointed downward,completely or partially, and adjust yaw to get the image you like?

Great illustration!Am I correct that you can adjust the amount of polarization by hovering over water with the gimbal pointed downward,completely or partially, and adjust yaw to get the image you like?
Those images were shot without a polariser.
You cannot adjust a polariser in flight, that's why they are next to useless on a drone.
People that fly with them them are generally fooling themselves.

learn to dive, MUCH more enjoyable...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13