DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance bug????

I did a test to see if the technology actually worked. I tried to fly into a big soft bush several times from different angles. In all cases the mavic refused to let me crash it. Late afternoon flying.

I am sold on the technology.

I did a test to see if the technology actually worked. I tried to fly into a big soft bush several times from different angles. In all cases the mavic refused to let me crash it. Late afternoon flying.

I am sold on the technology.

When it works, it works. My complaint is two fold:

1) It doesn't always work (flying too fast or item is unseen like a wire or maybe it's too dark).

2) It's buggy. It stopped my Mavic dead in its tracks @ 400' AGL without a single item in sight. At first, I thought, "Is there a bird up there??" But pulling my eyes away from the iPad toward the Mavic, there were no birds.

I've been flying for years, and haven't ran any of my UAV's into anything yet. So I turned off OA. The thing flies beautifully without OA enabled.

D

Last edited:
When it works, it works. My complaint is two fold:

1) It doesn't always work (flying too fast or item is unseen like a wire or maybe it's too dark).

2) It's buggy. It stopped my Mavic dead in its tracks @ 400' AGL without a single item in sight. At first, I thought, "Is there a bird up there??" But pulling my eyes away from the iPad toward the Mavic, there were no birds.

I've been flying for years, and haven't ran any of my UAV's into anything yet. So I turned off OA. The thing flies beautifully without OA enabled.

D

I agree, it can save you sometimes, but I've had many instances when high up it stopped for no reason at all. And there are things it won't stop for. Useless when its not bright enough, dawn, dusk, and like when I did this video, mid day very sunny out, Mavic stopped on me when I flew in the shadows of the oak trees, look at the very beginning part about 13 seconds into it. You can see it stop and fall. Nothing at all directly in front, I think all the light transitions may have been messing with the sensors. Had I not been pressed for time, I would have redone that fly threw the trees with OA sensors off.

Last edited:
I agree, it can save you sometimes, but I've had many instances when high up it stopped for no reason at all. And there are things it won't stop for. Useless when its not bright enough, dawn, dusk, and like when I did this video, mid day very sunny out, Mavic stopped on me when I flew in the shadows of the oak trees, look at the very beginning part about 13 seconds into it. You can see it stop and fall. Nothing at all directly in front, I think all the light transitions maybe messing with the sensors. Had I not been pressed for time, I would have redone that fly threw the trees with OA sensors off.

Kewl video. Yeah....I can see where the bird turned on ya. I just turned it off. NOW the bird behaves like the rest of my UAV's - predictably.

Reactions: cderoche
Kewl video. Yeah....I can see where the bird turned on ya. I just turned it off. NOW the bird behaves like the rest of my UAV's - predictably.

and if you're flying with an external battery pack strapped on board or a speed mod probably stays off most of the time. I might use it if I need to get close to something and using tripod mode, can use it to set the distance before photo or filming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand