DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance bug????

There's also a DAT flight log on the Mavic's internal memory card. You can retrieve it like this and view the data using DatCon. The DAT flight log contains more data, so you might find those messages there.

Where did you find those DAT files?

With firmware >. 900 you can retrieve dat files using dji assistant 2 ver 1.1.6 choosing "data upload". On the list select the flight log you need and then click on "save to local". Then you have to decompress that file using the application provided with DatCon

Those aren't the correct DAT files. See these instructions.

Thanx for the instructions. But I must say that retrieving/downloading these files off the Mavic is a dicey experience. First off, the flight log files (FLY*.DAT) are HUGE - almost 3GB!!! This, in and of itself, isn't bad, but the Mavic sources the files at a painful 6MB/sec.

Despite the instructions, the Flight Logs showed up as a drive on my computer:

FlyLogDrive.JPG

So I didn't even need the DJI Assitant 2 app to get them. Each of the 26 log files contains an overwhelming wealth of information. Missing are the warnings issued during flight. Then again, maybe I'm just not seeing them. Should these .DAT files contain the on-screen warnings I received?

Edit: I have perused the entire .DAT file carefully. Indeed, the on-screen warnings are missing. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
That's not true. Read here:
How do I cancel RTH
thanks my bad i assumed you couldnt cancel during a critical low battery,i never tested it though,this is what i meant and part of the link you posted

If the battery reaches the critically low level, your Mavic will auto land at its current location (it will never RTH). While you can move the throttle stick to the full up position to prevent the Mavic from descending and/or help move your Mavic to a better landing location, there is no way to cancel the auto landing.

Last edited:
Thanx for the instructions. But I must say that retrieving/downloading these files off the Mavic is a dicey experience. First off, the flight log files (FLY*.DAT) are HUGE - almost 3GB!!! This, in and of itself, isn't bad, but the Mavic sources the files at a painful 6MB/sec.

Despite the instructions, the Flight Logs showed up as a drive on my computer:

View attachment 22684

So I didn't even need the DJI Assitant 2 app to get them. Each of the 26 log files contains an overwhelming wealth of information. Missing are the warnings issued during flight. Then again, maybe I'm just not seeing them. Should these .DAT files contain the on-screen warnings I received?

Edit: I have perused the entire .DAT file carefully. Indeed, the on-screen warnings are missing. Hmmmm....
In general, the .DAT file won't contain those exact on screen warnings that you see - it's the Go App that is creating those warnings. But, usually the .DAT will contain data that will help understand the conditions that caused the Go App to issue the warnings. If you want help with this I suggest that you Dropbox 1) the .DAT file and 2) the .txt file that you submitted to PhantomHelp.

I've not seen the "Obstacle Avoidance reset" warning and I'm supposing it's new with the recent FW. Maybe it's DJI's attempt to deal with OA problems that have been encountered in the past. If so, there will probably be something in the .DAT eventLog stream.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
i do because i feel i dont really need obstacle avoidance,i had an issue last year that spooked me and had read where a RTH obstacle avoidance kept the drone from returning home because it hovered until the battery went dead

That has never been the case. Default settings are that the Mavic will attempt to go around the obstacle and continue to RTH. If it can't do that, it will fly until critical battery (default is 10%) and then land. It would also use the downward sensors to sense a safe landing if they are turned on.

You don't need obstacle avoidance... until you need obstacle avoidance. It's a little like saying I don't need airbags in my vehicle because I never use them.

Hey doods!

So flying last night about 7:00 over a wilderness area about 900' AGL, while on it's way home, my Mavic stops in its tracks and utters the "Obstacle Avoidance reset" warning. Hmmm.... So I push the stick forward, and about 100' later, she does it again. So I tried to turn off Obstacle Avoidance and it won't disable....hmmmm... I eventually got the bird home, but lesson learned. I personally think that Obstacle Avoidance just gives us a false sense of security. Call me nuts, but I avoid objects all on my own...LOL....

Has anyone else experienced this bug?

Disclaimer: I launched @ 9,000' elevation within 3,000' of a 10,000' mountain peak. So, technically, I was flying 100' BGL.
I'm going to see if assigning avoidance to a switch is possible. I don't like it either.

Here's the flight video....

I had similar problem with RTH when smartRTH was ON. When I pressed RTH, Mavic would climb to RTH altitude then fly 15m stop, climb 8m, fly 15m and climb 8m. Here is the flight path. The red one is with smartRTH ON and the green one with smart RTH OFF. (Smart RTH is RTH with obstacle avoidance during RTH) Customer service suggested recalibrating compass and, IMU and I did it plus I re-calibrated sensors and it fixed the problem. Now RTH with smart RTH On will fly without frequent stops (like the green flightpath)

Attachments

• RTH Normal and abnormal.JPG
    RTH Normal and abnormal.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 17
I'm going to see if assigning avoidance to a switch is possible. I don't like it either.

Honestly, I just shut all that crap off and now she flies like a normal UAV. I was able to land quickly without that annoying pause. I was able to hand catch. I was able to fly close to trees without the drone issuing warning after annoying warning. If I ever fly indoors, I MAY turn that stuff back on. But honestly, the prop guards seem to do a good job, so I'll probably never turn Obstacle Avoidance on again.

In general, the .DAT file won't contain those exact on screen warnings that you see - it's the Go App that is creating those warnings. But, usually the .DAT will contain data that will help understand the conditions that caused the Go App to issue the warnings. If you want help with this I suggest that you Dropbox 1) the .DAT file and 2) the .txt file that you submitted to PhantomHelp.

I've not seen the "Obstacle Avoidance reset" warning and I'm supposing it's new with the recent FW. Maybe it's DJI's attempt to deal with OA problems that have been encountered in the past. If so, there will probably be something in the .DAT eventLog stream.

I flew today with all that OA stuff turned off and the Mavic flew beautifully. I can't imagine I'll ever turn that stuff back on again. 3 years of multi-rotor piloting, I've managed not to run into anything yet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjiekun