DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Shown in Flight Data ?

scottjo2152

Premium Pilot
Reactions
New flyer with Mini 3 Pro, learning a lot. I made a 13 minute flight, recording video at about 150 ft. altitude. I did not have screen recording on. While returning, I got a strong wind warning at 10 minutes 18 sec. While watching the screen I blindly followed the warning, and reduced altitude as low as 35 ft. without checking what was below. Watching the video later, I saw that the drone "encountered" a tree during this decent. It did not hit the tree but the leaves were very close. At 11 minutes 24 seconds auto RTH started, and the drone ascended to my preset altitude of 96 feet. RTH was successful.

My question is just a matter of interest: Did Obstacle Avoidance take place when I was near the tree or was I just real lucky? Does OA normally show in flight logs ?

DJIFlightRecord_2023-07-14_[07-34-15].txt

My lessons learned: always record screen, check below before lowering altitude, pay attention to warnings but think before following what they say.

Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 😀

10sec after you stopped descending you started to fly horizontally... there you where on approx 36ft above the HP & the visual positioning sensor (VPS) on the drones belly either was outside the effective range from ground directly below the drone or the ground was to dark or the sensor couldn't get a lock due to some other reason... the log reported a N/A height from the VPS.

Approx 6sec after you had started to fly out horizontally the VPS suddenly starts to give values during a 1,4sec period before it again reported N/A, the closest it was from something just below during that period was 9,5ft.

The VPS sensor isn't actually a OD sensor like all the others... it will take care of the landing protection & will with a full command for descent stop a descent 0,5m (or 1,64ft) above what's under the drone, & this will not generate a message in the .TXT log... if the throttle is kept for descending there, longer than 3sec, the drone will start to auto land.

Have red framed the sudden VPS reading in your attached log on PhantomHelp here below...

1691097997396.png

A suggestion.
Fly an experimental flight close to a building or solid obstacle. The flight to be basically a series of vertical climbs and descents from, perhaps, eye level to above 'roof top level' but which is close enough to the obstacle for the 'walls' of the obstacle to be within OA detection range.

For one portion of the flight have OA off and in another section of the flight have OA on. In the "OA on" section it might be worth doing climbs and descents in each mode of OA i.e. bypass & brake.
Take written notes so that you know what options were being used and WHEN they were being used.
Be ready to move the drone away from the structure via manual control if things seem risky.
I'd start testing at the limit of OA's detection range and work your way inwards until you get reliable and repeatable results.

Then post that flight log or examine it yourself by down loading its Phantomhelp csv.

There is a section of the csv
"MC.isObstacleAvoidanceEnabled,
MC.isCollisionAvoidanceEnabled,
MC.isRthObstacleAvoidanceEnabled,
MC.isBraking,
MC.isAvoidingObstacle,
MC.isAvoidingActiveObstacle,
MC.isAscentLimitedByObstacle"

that might record horizontal OA information but I can't find a Mini 3 pro log that shows anything but "false"s in the cells.

It would be interesting to see a log where what and when etc. was known and compare that knowledge with what is shown in the above columns and cells.

Slup, thank you for the very thorough explanation of my flight log. The amount of data available is amazing. If I understand correctly, there was no indication of an Obstacle Avoidance in the log. Thanks again for all your help for everyone on the forum

Yourkshire Pud, your suggestion for a test flight is a good one. I was out this morning and did some basic OA testing. Slowly approached a nice dense tree and saw how both the brake and fly around features worked. Will do more later.

Excuse the bold text, was not able to change it.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
@scottjo2152 - Since you are a new flyer with your Mini 3 Pro (I am also the proud owner of one), I'd take the "Strong Wind Warning" with a grain of salt. If the wind is over 15mph on the ground, I wouldn't even be flying. While the drone can handle winds as much as 25mph, it just isn't a good idea to fly in that, esp. since you just got the drone.

Secondly, don't forget if it is 15 mph near the ground, it is going to be stronger higher up. But just because you get a strong wind warning is no reason to RTH. Just gradually lower your altitude, and after you have checked below the drone by pointing the camera straight down. :) If the wind has increased so much that you are having trouble controlling your aircraft, then it is time to come back home, and if you don't seem to be making much headway, switch to sports mode. That will give you the extra power you need to fight the wind.

Enjoy your Mini 3 Pro! It is my favorite drone!

Thanks Jim for your guidance. I love the drone and am continuing to learn. Up to 75 flights, 9 hours and 42 km. Fly a couple of times a week with a fellow pilot.

I have a mini 3 pro with the DJI-RC.

I map one of the underside buttons to toggle the gimbal straight down and straight out horizontal.

I toggle this to look straight down before larger moves, to help maintain situational awareness.

On toggle down, I can see my position… if the centerline of the road is in the center of the screen, then I’m in the middle of the road.

Then toggle to horizontal, and what is in the middle of the screen is what I will run into at that altitude.

After toggle down/up I briefly switch to sports mode to do a quick 360, especially if doing a lateral move.

The second day of my first drone, a mini 2, I misinterpreted the height of a tree…

….”hey Mr George how much you pay the new guy? He no good operator…”

I swore ever since then to do the down/up/360, especially before lateral moves, as the mini 3 pro does not have side detection. (And you know, I kinda think side detection is more important than front protection, yo.)

I do look forward to getting the mavic pro with full protection…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N