DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance, can't turn it off in waypoints :(

pommy

Reactions
So this is annoying. I've been through a few batteries (testing) and still the same outcome. No matter what, the OA is ALWAYS on in waypoints mode (not the case with the Air 3 apparently). I'm hoping there is something I'm doing wrong, but I feel I've tried everything.

In all other modes apart from waypoints, the drone WILL crash into the vehicle, but waypoints? Nope. It aborts the mission.

Is this a Mavic 3 series thing? (This is just an example, I can't go near the ground, near a tree, a post etc. when it shouldn't be on at all).

Cheers for looking :)

Screen recording of issue...

Youtube link

So this is annoying. I've been through a few batteries (testing) and still the same outcome. No matter what, the OA is ALWAYS on in waypoints mode (not the case with the Air 3 apparently). I'm hoping there is something I'm doing wrong, but I feel I've tried everything.

In all other modes apart from waypoints, the drone WILL crash into the vehicle, but waypoints? Nope. It aborts the mission.

Is this a Mavic 3 series thing? (This is just an example, I can't go near the ground, near a tree, a post etc. when it shouldn't be on at all).

Cheers for looking :)

Screen recording of issue...

Youtube link
Definitely a Mavic 3 series safety feature during autonomous Waypoint missions. Can't speak to the Air 3. I would have expected the same safety feature on it, though, when flying a Waypoint mission.

Hmmm what do you make of this at 8:50? I don’t get why it’s not safe for a Mavic 3, but safe for the Air 3?

Reasons for waypoints…
Mavic 3 was released in November 2021. Air 3 was released in July 2023, 19 months later. While it is possible that a FW update could add that feature to the Mavic 3 Waypoints, the Air 3 hardware may create Waypoints with more precision, allowing them to more safely be flown without OA, or, unlikely as it may be, it could be that his video is wrong about that capability. Wouldn’t be the first time! Unfortunately, I don't have an Air 3 to test with. Are you on the latest Mavic 3 FW update?

Mavic 3 was released in November 2021. Air 3 was released in July 2023, 19 months later. While it is possible that a FW update could add that feature to the Mavic 3 Waypoints, the Air 3 hardware may create Waypoints with more precision, allowing them to more safely be flown without OA, or, unlikely as it may be, it could be that his video is wrong about that capability. Wouldn’t be the first time! Unfortunately, I don't have an Air 3 to test with. Are you on the latest Mavic 3 FW update?
My Classic was released in November 2022 and is updated. That’s only 10 months since the “new model” release. I’d love to believe that guy is wrong, as it’s disappointing to have a tier 3 drone that’s now inferior to a tier 2 drone (in such a small space of time).

Thing is, every time I do a waypoints mission, unless it’s waaaaay up in the sky - it fails due to the OA sensing the ground, a tree or whatever I’m disabling the OA to get a bit closer to (not even really close - it’s super sensitive it seems).

I made a post on his channel, but he doesn’t hardly reply to anyone’s comments 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
For one, you are expecting way too much accuracy from GPS. Be glad the OA is working. But then, have you tried Nifty mode for OA?

For one, you are expecting way too much accuracy from GPS. Be glad the OA is working. But then, have you tried Nifty mode for OA?
I fly indoors without GPS and it’s solid as a rock - it’s not a GPS issue here. I am glad OA works, when I switch it on, just when it’s not switching off (but the Fly App shows it is off).

Nifty isn’t available for the Classic 👎🏻

I fly indoors without GPS and it’s solid as a rock - it’s not a GPS issue here. I am glad OA works, when I switch it on, just when it’s not switching off (but the Fly App shows it is off).

Nifty isn’t available for the Classic 👎🏻
Yes, Nifty IS available, I have one. You need to check the GPS positioning tolerances. Indoors without GPS has ZERO to so with waypoints.

Sorry, I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this. You mentioned GPS. I’m not expecting anything from GPS with waypoints.

I just want OA off when the Fly App reports that it’s off. Nothing more.

Can you tell me where the option for nifty is please? I’d like to try this 👍🏻

Sorry, I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this. You mentioned GPS. I’m not expecting anything from GPS with waypoints.

I just want OA off when the Fly App reports that it’s off. Nothing more.

Can you tell me where the option for nifty is please? I’d like to try this 👍🏻
Waypoints ARE GPS coordinates. Camera view/settings/safety

🤦🏼‍♂️ I get that. I just want to switch off OA, can’t say it any clearer. Seems you can’t switch it off, but you can with the Air 3. That’s that.

Also, there is no nifty for the classic.
You need to update it. I just flew my Classic, NIFTY IS THERE! You can switch OA AND Landing Protection both off.

It’s updated to the latest. It’s never been there though. I’m not a new drone flyer, it’s just not there.

Can you see my video posted in the first post? There is no option. I’m updated. Never been there.

Can you see my video posted in the first post? There is no option. I’m updated. Never been there.
You don't have the latest update.
Overview:
  • Date: 2023.09.05
  • Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0500
  • RC-N1 Remote Controller Firmware: v04.17.0500
  • DJI RC Remote Controller Firmware: v01.03.0500
  • DJI RC Pro Remote Controller Firmware: v03.02.0500
  • DJI Fly App iOS: v1.11.4
  • DJI Fly App Android: v1.11.4

What’s New?
  • Added Vision Assist.
  • Added AR Home Point, AR Return-to-Home Route, and AR Aircraft Shadow.
  • Added Vision Positioning and Obstacle Sensing switch.
  • Fixed some minor bugs

As I said many times. It’s updated. This has never been a feature on my Classic since day one, right up to today.

Attachments

• IMG_9781.jpeg
    IMG_9781.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 9
Maybw try using Assistant 2 Consumer version and refresh your firmware, drone and controller. I asure you, it SHOULD be there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas