DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints and obstacle avoidance. Duh, learning.

Shuttersky597

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Using my Air 3 Sunday and after setting 16 waypoints, ran the mission and it stopped at waypoint 14. Ran again and it stopped at waypoint 3.
I remembered having this issue in the same location months ago with my Mavic 3 classic.
After assuming there is a GPS offset problem I went home and decided to run through my procedures.
This is when I remembered that if you are having any obstacle alarm, even amber, while you are setting the waypoint, it will suspend when it encounters that same obstacle during the run. I can't believe I missed this. I should have known. Two drones same problem. Look for the common denominator. ME.
Anyone else ever have this happen? 😲

Thanks for sharing - good to know!

Reactions: sarahb
Using my Air 3 Sunday and after setting 16 waypoints, ran the mission and it stopped at waypoint 14. Ran again and it stopped at waypoint 3.
I remembered having this issue in the same location months ago with my Mavic 3 classic.
After assuming there is a GPS offset problem I went home and decided to run through my procedures.
This is when I remembered that if you are having any obstacle alarm, even amber, while you are setting the waypoint, it will suspend when it encounters that same obstacle during the run. I can't believe I missed this. I should have known. Two drones same problem. Look for the common denominator. ME.
Anyone else ever have this happen? 😲
Thanks for the post, Jim. Could you please amplify on what you mean by 'obstacle alarm while setting the waypoint'. That doesn't ring any bells for me. Cheers!

Thanks for the post, Jim. Could you please amplify on what you mean by 'obstacle alarm while setting the waypoint'. That doesn't ring any bells for me. Cheers!
If you have the drone anywhere where you see the proximity warning in any direction and set a waypoint, when the drone returns to that position it will stop the mission. I had created 16 waypoints, but flew closer to a sign as part of the video. Great shot, but when running the mission it went to the sign and even though obstacle avoidance said it was only 10 feet from the sign it was close enough to stop the mission.
That is normal. You cannot encounter and yellow or red zone during a mission.

If you have the drone anywhere where you see the proximity warning in any direction and set a waypoint, when the drone returns to that position it will stop the mission. I had created 16 waypoints, but flew closer to a sign as part of the video. Great shot, but when running the mission it went to the sign and even though obstacle avoidance said it was only 10 feet from the sign it was close enough to stop the mission.
That is normal. You cannot encounter and yellow or red zone during a mission.
Ah that makes more sense to me. Thanx for the clarification. I had interpreted your post to mean that you'd received an obstacle alarm from your computer or controller while programming your waypoints prior to the flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty