DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance, can't turn it off in waypoints :(

Worth a try. I’ll give it a go. Can you show the about tab? Where yours says Mavic 3 Classic and the firmware? I might need it for DJI.

You won't need it. The release notes say it all.
It was also about seeing yours is definitely a Classic. I’ve googled it and I can only find the Mavic 3 with Nifty. I guess you know what drone you have and don’t wish to show it.

I’m doing the firmware now…

I wonder if the "Nifty" option disapears when you turn OFF the OA.
According to the manual, Nifty is only available when in Bypass mode of OA. Still, I don't have it. That said, it's irrelevant as I don't want Bypass - I wanted no OA which is not an option unfortunately.

Perhaps it's time for the Classic to step aside for the Air 3!

Cheers for the input. Never had Nifty, so I can't miss it :)

My point about GPS and waypoints - If you are wanting waypoints in order to fly close to objects on a repeated basis, it's not a good idea. Standard GPS tolerances are not good enough for that. You are asking for a crash.

I have the Air3. It flies without any problems with OA off (sport mode) in waypoints.

I actually ordered the Mavic 3 Classic and I filed a return ticket for the Air3. The Air 3 camera is not satisfactory for photography. It is OK-ish for videography, but in Photography you have to work hard to clean the photos and make them sharper and the result is still far from what I can get from a Mavic 3 Classic Hasselblad camera raw files downloaded from the internet.

The camera of Air3 is still plagued by purple and yellow artefacts and moire on patterned areas (louvers, rooftops).

Maybe the OA on/off feature is region dependent? I hope it is (as in not restricted in EU) because I also plan to get close to things in waypoints.

By the way, how close is too close with OA on?

fly close to objects on a repeated basis
Hey,

...it's not for that, just one-off sequences, always within line of sight. Also, it's not to get "too" close, my drone is too sensitive and stops much further away than I'd like it to (not talking centimetres, but metres away) and the mission is aborted. Very annoying after setting up the waypoints to find this. So, I can only fly it myself in Nifty mode which defeats the purpose, fly it myself with OA switched off, again, defeating the purpose and benefit of autonomous flight.

Fact is, you cannot turn off the OA in waypoints mode, despite what the Fly App directly tells you (that it's switched off). So it either needs the app updating to say that OA cannot be deactivated in waypoints when you try to turn it off - or, it actually turn it off (as it should, otherwise why have the option).
The latter would be the solution for me.

Annoying that the OA OFF switch actually WORKS with the Fly App and the Air 3.

I have the Air3. It flies without any problems with OA off (sport mode) in waypoints.

I actually ordered the Mavic 3 Classic and I filed a return ticket for the Air3. The Air 3 camera is not satisfactory for photography. It is OK-ish for videography, but in Photography you have to work hard to clean the photos and make them sharper and the result is still far from what I can get from a Mavic 3 Classic Hasselblad camera raw files downloaded from the internet.

The camera of Air3 is still plagued by purple and yellow artefacts and moire on patterned areas (louvers, rooftops).

Maybe the OA on/off feature is region dependent? I hope it isn't, because I also plan to get close to things in waypoints.

By the way, how close is too close with OA on?
Really? I mean, I'm happy with my Classic, but most others are saying the Air 3 is much better technology etc.

All the reviewers that praised the Air3 camera were focusing on videography, and how nice to have the 3x camera is -> can't argue here, that camera focal length is really nice to have. They did not mention processing raw 48mp files. I am really not impressed by the 48mp 1/1.3 sensor. The Air2S camera was way superior in photography.

So no more quad bayer sensors for me until I see the problems I mentioned gone.

All the reviewers that praised the Air3 camera were focusing on videography, they did not mention processing raw 48mp files. I am really not impressed by the 48mp 1/1.3 sensor. The Air2S camera was way superior in photography.

So no more quad bayer sensors for me until I see the problems I mentioned gone.
Also having both myself, what do you think of the Air 2S compared to the Mavic 3 Classic (images)?

I do not have yet the M3C in my hands.

But from what I tried from the internet, the camera is great. Slightly better dynamic range and better, nicer colors on M3C.

I was extremely happy with Air2S. But I can't go back for 2 reasons:

1. I crashed it -> replacement cost is very high.
2. That aircraft is at the end of life in EU because it lacks the C1 certification, making it a legacy drone from 2024.

I do not have yet the M3C in my hands.

But from what I tried from the internet, the camera is great. Slightly better dynamic range and better, nicer colors on M3C.

I was extremely happy with Air2S. But I can't go back for 2 reasons:

1. I crashed it -> replacement cost is very high.
2. That aircraft is at the end of life in EU because it lacks the C1 certification, making it a legacy drone from 2024.
Makes sense. I kinda wish I didn't upgrade the Air 2S. I found it was more much more stable, faster in the air and overall more durable than the M3C (arms seem weaker, props flop everywhere and the gimbal doesn't lock). The video was much clearer on the Air 2S vs. M3C, but I don't really shoot video much, so that's not an issue.

However, it was worth it JUST for the flight time increase.

I'm sure you will be happy with the M3C, because as great as the Air 2S is, it's a bit dated now.

The video may have looked sharper on the Air2S due to lack of adjustable apperture. The lens lets a lot of light in, so the videos look very sharp and snappy (very high shutter speed).

If you open the aperture on the M3C to the max, you'll probably get the same effect.

Reactions: pommy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne