DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance concerns

Qatarkiwi

Reactions
Well my dog decided he wanted to eat my new mavic. It was about a meter off of the ground when the attack happened, resulting in slight damage. An antenna was cracked at the base, a tooth indentation on the gimbal housing cover, small abrasions to a motor housing and the belly, and the camera was offset at about 30°, but reset after a restart. Following the initial inspection, and securing my dog, a test flight resulted in nothing obvious. Following an overnight repair (epoxy), I took it out for a short flight. At first everything seemed pretty normal, with routine flight control performing as I would expect. However; it became obvious that the forward obstacle avoidance was not functioning as it had been. In P-mode, at slow speeds, the drone would stop when approaching large obstacles, but did so at much closer distances. At speed, the drone would brake when flying over me, but only as it passed; so I did not fly it towards anything substantial in fear of a collision. I have performed a vision calibration using the assistant on my desktop, ensured all sensors are clear from debris/dust, with nil obvious damage to/or immediately around any of them. The controller maintains a solid GPS signal throughout flight, and is receiving no alerts or messages. I have not ever flown in sport mode, but tonight I did a fly buy on my vehicle at about two meters, and the drone made no attempt to avoid anything. I then had it fly towards me just above head height, and I actually ducked as it flew over. A repeat of both at slow speed resulted in braking, but again, at closer distances than I was comfortable with. Avoidance is enabled, and other values remain unchanged from initial setup. During the last flight, I do recall receiving controller notification that I was close to the ground, but that was all (typically it would pitch up and brake when that close).
Other details include flying over desert terrain during daylight hours, but this is no different from all previous flights.
As I am new, I don't know of what other info is required for anyone to offer insight or suggestions.
So after going through the manual again and cruising the net, my question would be, is it possible to have a damaged sensor(s) without receiving an error or calibration request?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

How's the dog doing?

Not a scratch thankfully. He is a five year old GSD recently diagnosed with retinal atrophy, so already partially blind, I have no idea how he even seen it. Vet thinks the sound signature may have triggered the action; or he was just being an a-hole:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27