DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining a Part 107 Certificate for Part 61 Pilots

Jeff A

Well Worn Member
Reactions
I know that as a Part 61 Licensed Pilot, I am not required to go to a testing center to test in order to obtain my Part 107 Certification. I can study a short course online at the Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov site and take an online test there. For those that have followed this path, how does the test there differ from the tests at the normal testing centers?

It's been three years since I've done it, but at the time the test only covered things specific to drones, it didn't test on charts, weather, things you'd know already as a pilot. I needed a current flight review to be eligible to do it this way. UNless things have changed, after taking it you can go to the FSDO to get a temporary if you want it right away. Good luck! We're lucky that we can do it this way.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I know that as a Part 61 Licensed Pilot, I am not required to go to a testing center to test in order to obtain my Part 107 Certification. I can study a short course online at the Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov site and take an online test there. For those that have followed this path, how does the test there differ from the tests at the normal testing centers?

The course and test online for Part 61 pilots is free and if you "fail" you just have to take it over again. (which you can do immediately) Overall it doesn't cover as many topics as the 107 exam at the test center.

Make sure you have had a bienneal flight review in the last 2 years or you are ineligible for this shortcut.

Thanks guys. Sounds OK. I scored a 95% on a practice test (Testing Center test) and I have a Flight Review tomorrow morning. Getting closer!

Reactions: sdold and dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31