DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OcuSyn 2.0 in Mavic Air 2 vs Mini 2

AVLJMA

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Comparing the specs on the DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic Air 2 it shows the DJI Mini 2 has a max flight distance of 16km and the Mavic Air 2 has a max flight distance of 18.5km which gives the Mavic Air 2 about 2.5km more distance capable.

It is safe to assume that this in a non-linear measurement referring to the battery capacity as both drones would be limited equally by the OcuSyn 2.0 transmission distance?

In other words the Mavic Air 2 doesn't have a stronger OcuSync 2 signal (giving it more linear range) that the DJI Mini 2's OcuSyn 2 signal. The signal range for both should be identical, correct?

So many questions, so little time.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Comparing the specs on the DJI Mini 2 and the Mavic Air 2 it shows the DJI Mini 2 has a max flight distance of 16km and the Mavic Air 2 has a max flight distance of 18.5km which gives the Mavic Air 2 about 2.5km more distance capable.

It is safe to assume that this in a non-linear measurement referring to the battery capacity as both drones would be limited equally by the OcuSyn 2.0 transmission distance?

In other words the Mavic Air 2 doesn't have a stronger OcuSync 2 signal (giving it more linear range) that the DJI Mini 2's OcuSyn 2 signal. The signal range for both should be identical, correct?

The remotes are identical as far as I know so I doubt there is a difference.
Just out of interest, where did you find the 16km vs 18.5km stats?

I can guarantee that you won’t get 16km from the Mini 2 battery, the most I have gotten is 7km so far.

Reactions: DroneToJoy
The SPEC sheet on the DJI home page shows the Mavic Air 2 with
  • Max Flight Distance​

• 18.5 km

The 16 km for the Mini 2 I found on a site comparing the two but I can't find it again. The 16 km sounded unbelievable because like you, I can't imagine getting 16 km out of a single battery.

These numbers are "distance that can be covered on one battery", not RF range.
And they're "take off, fly the entire flight at the most efficient speed, and land with pretty much 0% battery left" in usual DJI fashion.

And they're "take off, fly the entire flight at the most efficient speed, and land with pretty much 0% battery left" in usual DJI fashion.
Thanks.

As you are probably aware, you won't get those ranges anyway even if you could legally do so. But anyway, range can even be affected by the physical size of the AC. What I mean by that is the antennas are in the front legs, the length and distance apart of those legs could even affect the radiated signal between the AC and remote. Of course the antennas on the remote would have the same effect if slightly different. However as already mentioned, the battery would probably be the limiting factor at any rate.

You mentioned “most efficient speed”. Just out of curiosity, what speed do you think that would be (approximately) for an Air2?

There isn't an exact speed for efficiency, you have to take into account wind direction and air temperature. There was a thread on here a few years back that talked about the most efficient motor speed was about 60% of the max RPM.

Anotherlab... thanks for that link back to 2017. They talk about the importance of turning off obstacle avoidance. I understand that OA would draw some power, but they infer that it impacts speed in the N or P range as well. Is this accurate in 2021? Incidentally, that’s a good looking yellow Labrador you have there.

Last edited:
Anotherlab... thanks for that link back to 2017. They talk about the importance of turning off obstacle avoidance. I understand that OA would draw some power, but they infer that it impacts speed in the N or P range as well. Is this accurate in 2021?
I don't have any figures on it, but I would guess that it's still applicable. While the CPU power draw is higher when doing visual processing, the motors are the primary draw on the battery. Windspeed will have a great impact on range than OA.

Reactions: Dbez1
I understand that OA would draw some power, but they infer that it impacts speed in the N or P range as well.
OA doesn't use extra power, but on the Mavic 1 having OA on limits the maximum tilt and thus speed since if the aircraft tilts too much the cameras are looking too far down to be able to see an obstacle in front.
Other models may operate differently in this regard.

Although the controller is the same for both the Mavic Air 2 and the Mini 2, the Air2 drone has more inbuilt antennas in it, so has better signal reception/emission. Mini 2 is more limited for the size, so the inbuilt antennas are less capable to receive/emit.

You can also notice these by the fact that Mini 2 emits 720p and the Air 2 emits 1080.

My actual BVLOS long range record for the Mini 2 is 3.8Km, but from a better take off zone I could get 4.5 or 5 easily, wich should be about the battery limit in windless conditions.

Flying in FCC mode will give you far more range than CE, and modding the controller with an alientech amplified antenna (or similar signal amplifiers) will give you more (and more stable) range.

I've done several tests and for the Mini 2 VLOS range is about 150-200 meters, after that once you look to the screen and back to the sky you won't be able to relocate the aircraft in the air again. With a dedicated spotter constantly watching the drone you could get about 550 meters though.

VLOS range for the Air 2 is much higher due to it's size.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair