DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OcuSync 2.0, O3 & O3+ clarifications?

For what I was advised by a local Dji store is that the Standard RC when connected to the mini 2 uses OS2, when connected to the Air2S it switches to OS3 and switches to OS3+ when connected with Mavic 3. The RC firmware is different to be bound to Air2S and mini 2 and to the Mavic 3.

I have been feeling like the RC Pro will look back to Air 2S but after watching that video it seems it will go back to the Air 2 to include the Mini 2. That would be nice.

After watching some comparisons, I don't think the main reason to get the RC Pro is the difference in transmission. Currently, I think the difference, if any, is negligible. I'm not sure if that will, or can, change with future firmware upgrades.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
For me, the primary reason for using the RC Pro is that it is more functional and feels better in my hands when flying, compared to the toy-like standard controller.

I have been using iPad Minis (4 & 5) with my Phantoms for years, and do not like the small screen. I may have to rig up a holder to mount a screen from the HDMI output (which defeats the all-in-one concept).

It is very disappointing not to have a decent controller to use with my iPad Mini 5...

After watching some comparisons, I don't think the main reason to get the RC Pro is the difference in transmission. Currently, I think the difference, if any, is negligible. I'm not sure if that will, or can, change with future firmware upgrades.

For me, the primary reason for using the RC Pro is that it is more functional and feels better in my hands when flying, compared to the toy-like standard controller.

I have been using iPad Minis (4 & 5) with my Phantoms for years, and do not like the small screen. I may have to rig up a holder to mount a screen from the HDMI output (which defeats the all-in-one concept).

It is very disappointing not to have a decent controller to use with my iPad Mini 5...
The added functionality is huge.

The standard controller is no where near the level needed for a prosumer drone like this. It's a HUGE issue, imo.

They really should come out with a mid level controller that has extra buttons, wheels, a customizable d-pad like switch, and a half press button for photos. I really don't know what they were thinking other than $$$.

Reactions: RocketBrew
Still this bandwith issue is somehow not explained (as also mentioned in the comments) and therefore think it's not the true reason:

Transmission quality

• M2P: 1080p/30 12 MBit/s with SC
  • Air 2S: 1080p/30 12 MBit/s with SC (and addtional 10 ms latency)
  • M3: 1080p/60 low latency
So why should there be a bandwith issue with the SC and the Air 2S, when they use they same specification of raw data? I can see, why 1080p/60 is not possible with the M3, but not why the SC is claimed to have a problem with stepping down. There should be some fallback mode to 1080p/30 and I am sure DJI could do that (as this guy points out several times, it's all based on software).

And why the heck is the RC Pro not compatible with the Air 2S?
That doesn't make sense at all, but if DJI just willingly intends so.

The stronger battery goes hand in hand with Longer range.

It also allows you to fly In More Extreme winds much longer also, , the Range is just a selling point that everyone loves as it is to a fast car. Eyes light up at 10 miles , but the reality is 3000 ft for most missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain ,Capture the Storm.
I would argue longer range means stronger penetration for trees at least. But someone smarter here with that stuff could correct me.

Still this bandwith issue is somehow not explained (as also mentioned in the comments) and therefore think it's not the true reason:

Transmission quality

• M2P: 1080p/30 12 MBit/s with SC
  • Air 2S: 1080p/30 12 MBit/s with SC (and addtional 10 ms latency)
  • M3: 1080p/60 low latency
So why should there be a bandwith issue with the SC and the Air 2S, when they use they same specification of raw data? I can see, why 1080p/60 is not possible with the M3, but not why the SC is claimed to have a problem with stepping down. There should be some fallback mode to 1080p/30 and I am sure DJI could do that (as this guy points out several times, it's all based on software).

And why the heck is the RC Pro not compatible with the Air 2S?
That doesn't make sense at all, but if DJI just willingly intends so.
Its all to do with progress! This guy explains it well, I believe he designs RF systems or repairs them, either way he has but this together to explain.

Its all to do with progress! This guy explains it well, I believe he designs RF systems or repairs them, either way he has but this together to explain.
I watched that video of course before and especially asked the question to him in the comments with no reply yet.

Fact is, what he also explained in detail: the SC has the capability to run Air 2S but says, it's not working well (tried it with a friend's drone, never had a problem). It's SDR and while DJI implements P1 and S1 here and there, the only reason for the SC not working with the M3 may be indeed the bandwith needed for 1080p/60 low latency. That however could be solved with a reduced transmission of 1080p/30 12 MBit/s I guess, like the predecessors use. You remember, it's all SDR.

So the question is, why he suspects a bandwith limit with the Air 2S already (using the same transmitting quality) in special. Is it really based on the chips, is it sloppy software development ... But probably only DJI really knows ... or maybe not and they are just as confused as consumers with their back and forth in compatibility.;)

I watched that video of course before and especially asked the question to him in the comments with no reply yet.

Fact is, what he also explained in detail: the SC has the capability to run Air 2S but says, it's not working well (tried it with a friend's drone, never had a problem). It's SDR and while DJI implements P1 and S1 here and there, the only reason for the SC not working with the M3 may be indeed the bandwith needed for 1080p/60 low latency. That however could be solved with a reduced transmission of 1080p/30 12 MBit/s I guess, like the predecessors use. You remember, it's all SDR.

So the question is, why he suspects a bandwith limit with the Air 2S already (using the same transmitting quality) in special. Is it really based on the chips, is it sloppy software development ... But probably only DJI really knows ... or maybe not and they are just as confused as consumers with their back and forth in compatibility.;)
The whole Ocusync thing is very confusing IMO as they refer to the video transmission & the control/telemetry as Occusync ‘the overall system’ but they implement different versions of it at the same time! O2 for telemetry and control and O3+ for the video return.

I did a bit of testing with a RC213 from my Mini 2, it changes firmware when changing from Mini 2 to M3 & again when switching back, so in theory, there should be no reason why a similar firmware change routine could be added to the RCP to allow other aircraft support. It would be very handy if the RCP would support legacy drones, but if a firmware change is required each time it won’t be very practical.

I also suspect they have their hands full getting the January release ready while at the same time fixing reported bugs, so its probably not high on the ‘to do’ list.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
A bit off topic, but I've noticed that between O2 and O3+, video has been given priority over control. At least button control/photo control/etc.

When flying O2, everything goes at once. But with O3+, it seems like they're cutting off certain features and dedicating that bandwidth to video. At least that's the impression I get.

Also, do we know if the video feed is at a different frame rate? It seems much smoother and more fluid than it does with O2 and the M2P. Some of that can certainly be attributed to the increased speed of the drone, but that's certainly not the whole story.

Interesting that they're using FPV as the test bed for their transmission technology.

With the latest firmwares, the RC-N1 will now receive a little "update" when linking it to a drone. It tells the RC-N1 which protocol to use, O2, O3, or O3+, depending on the aircraft. That hasn't always been the case, until recently. I flew my A2S with my RC-N1 today for the 1st time since it is O3 capable, and I got considerably more distance than before flying in the same area. A mile and a half, with plenty of interference around...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 3.45.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 3.45.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
With the latest firmwares, the RC-N1 will now receive a little "update" when linking it to a drone. It tells the RC-N1 which protocol to use, O2, O3, or O3+, depending on the aircraft. That hasn't always been the case, until recently. I flew my A2S with my RC-N1 today for the 1st time since it is O3 capable, and I got considerably more distance than before flying in the same area. A mile and a half, with plenty of interference around...
You'll get even more with the RC-Pro, because it offers 4x the power output over the RC-N1.

I would if I could. It won't stay connected to my A2S which is a known issue for some users. Mine is at DJI right now. Anxious to see what a working one is like.
Works fine with mine, but mine was purchased for the M3, rather than bought in the discounted A2S Combo bundle for only $550, since they didn't include the RC-N1 controller. Was yours part of that bundle? It's likely a FW update miscue. The hardware is identical. It just needed a FW update to make it dual compatible, and then it runs a small FW patch each time you change from the A2S to the M3 and back again. The other bug was changing the drone overwrites the settings for the C1 and C2 buttons back to their defaults.

Works fine with mine, but mine was purchased for the M3, rather than bought in the discounted A2S Combo bundle for only $550, since they didn't include the RC-N1 controller. Was yours part of that bundle? It's likely a FW update miscue. The hardware is identical. It just needed a FW update to make it dual compatible, and then it runs a small FW patch each time you change from the A2S to the M3 and back again. The other bug was changing the drone overwrites the settings for the C1 and C2 buttons back to their defaults.
Mine was bought standalone, I believe with the .01x (M3) firmware installed. I remember having to upgrade it to the .03x (A2s) firmware.

Yeah, they're all identical.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S