DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OcuSync 2.0, O3 & O3+ clarifications?

Reactions
So the new Mavic 3 is reputed to have a video transmission system called O3+, not to be confused with O3 as available on the Air 2S. However for both the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, the default controller (DJI RC-N1) is listed as only being an OcuSync 2.0 device. Only the new DJ RC Pro controller is reported to use O3+.

So given these combinations, how is it that either the Air 2S or the Mavic 3 are capable of doing anything more than OcuSync 2.0, except in the case of the Mavic 3 with the DJ RC Pro controller?

Seems to me that both the transmitter and the receiver have to agree to use one or the other transmission protocols.

Something doesn't make sense...

I'd like to know what the difference is between all O versions, protocol-wise. So far other than antenna arrangement it sounds more like a marketing upgrade/different SDR config than anything real.

Reactions: Gary R and Droniac
So the new Mavic 3 is reputed to have a video transmission system called O3+, not to be confused with O3 as available on the Air 2S. However for both the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, the default controller (DJI RC-N1) is listed as only being an OcuSync 2.0 device. Only the new DJ RC Pro controller is reported to use O3+.

So given these combinations, how is it that either the Air 2S or the Mavic 3 are capable of doing anything more than OcuSync 2.0, except in the case of the Mavic 3 with the DJ RC Pro controller?

Seems to me that both the transmitter and the receiver have to agree to use one or the other transmission protocols.

Something doesn't make sense...
Here’s the major differences. I believe the RC-N1 probably has a more directional antenna too.

O1: 26dbm (~0.4 watts) 2.4Ghz only;

O2: 26dbm (~0.4 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz

OEnterprise (~0.9 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz tri channel (Matrice 300)

O3: 30dbm (1 watt) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz 2T4R antenna

O3+: 33dbm (2 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz antenna 2T4R + Wi-Fi 6 connectivity

This is all FCC mode specs. CE mode was already maxed out at 20dbm (0.1 watts) on the original Mavic Pro 1 but does get 5.8 GHz starting at O2 but otherwise gets no power improvements.

These numbers are good for both the power from the drone and the power from the RC. So you can see where you could use an O2 RC with an O3 aircraft would be better than both using O2 but not as good as both using O3. As to if the protocol has changed too, honestly I don’t know but I bet it hasn’t changed much.

Last edited:
26dBm is 0.4 watts, not the 0.040 watts you show for the OS2 spec.

Reactions: Droniac
it’s worth noting that the max allowable transmit power in the US is 36 dbm (4 watts) so if they follow the pattern of doubling the power every cycle (which is what you need to really have a noticeable difference) they should max out the transmit power with O5.

You'd think they would work on the antenna array, more to gain with beam forming directionality than power. Since they are using AX chipsets, they could support a couple more antennas in the drone and controller. But now we're talking the M3 Air and M3 Air S.

You'd think they would work on the antenna array, more to gain with beam forming directionality than power. Since they are using AX chipsets, they could support a couple more antennas in the drone and controller. But now we're talking the M3 Air and M3 Air S.
They did add the 2T4R quad antennas starting in O3. I believe it’s just

Here’s the major differences. I believe the RC-N1 probably has a more directional antenna too.

This is all FCC mode specs. CE mode was already maxed out at 20dbm (0.1 watts) on the original Mavic Pro 1 but does get 5.8 GHz starting at O2 but otherwise gets no power improvements.

These numbers are good for both the power from the drone and the power from the RC. So you can see where you could use an O2 RC with an O3 aircraft would be better than both using O2 but not as good as both using O3. As to if the protocol has changed too, honestly I don’t know but I bet it hasn’t changed much.
Thanks for that. Does this mean the first SMART Controller could work with the M3?

Why is range so important? Not like you can legally fly even a mile because of VLOS.
The stronger battery goes hand in hand with Longer range.

It also allows you to fly In More Extreme winds much longer also, , the Range is just a selling point that everyone loves as it is to a fast car. Eyes light up at 10 miles , but the reality is 3000 ft for most missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain ,Capture the Storm.

Interesting. Updated my Android phone this morning after getting a message in Fly that there was an update for the M3. When I checked, the aircraft was there—but I don’t have an M3, so that’s useless to me. Switched to my SC (original model) and got the same message. Installed the update, but the M3 was not there. Sort of indicates to me that the current SC will not work with the M3. But it would be great to be proven wrong. Also updated the app on my iPad Pro and the M3 is there, too.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Interesting. Updated my Android phone this morning after getting a message in Fly that there was an update for the M3. When I checked, the aircraft was there—but I don’t have an M3, so that’s useless to me. Switched to my SC (original model) and got the same message. Installed the update, but the M3 was not there. Sort of indicates to me that the current SC will not work with the M3. But it would be great to be proven wrong. Also updated the app on my iPad Pro and the M3 is there, too.
Yea DJI would have to update the firmware on the drone to allow it to connect to the SC. Given what you just told me, that the SC fly app was updated to the version that would allow it to communicate with the drone it sounds like there’s an even better chance they will allow the connection in the future. There’s may be some things to work out like possibly the SC not being powerful enough to support 1080 60fps.

Reactions: RobW01
Yea DJI would have to update the firmware on the drone to allow it to connect to the SC. Given what you just told me, that the SC fly app was updated to the version that would allow it to communicate with the drone it sounds like there’s an even better chance they will allow the connection in the future. There’s may be some things to work out like possibly the SC not being powerful enough to support 1080 60fps.
Hope you’re right as I’m not interested in paying for a new SC.

More likely for an M3 Enterprise and M3 Advanced...

As soon as videos started coming out on YT, people started saying that the DJI RC Pro had a longer range due to "more antennas."

It didn't make sense to me since their marketing didn't highlight any range difference, either for VX orTX.

So I reached out to them.

The person I talked to live on their website looked into it and assured me that the range is the same for both remotes. They then said the DJI RC Pro will work with the upcoming LTE dongle that will get attached to the drone and allow for 4G flight.

Based on the dongle only attaching to the drone, that leads to me believe that the DJI RC Pro has LTE capability out the box. Of course there may be confusion, and the LTE Dongle will come with something that plugs into the DJI RC Pro as well.

My next question was will the M3 be able to fly JUST on LTE and what the distance would be. They said as long as there is a 4G signal, the drone can fly on it and because of that 'theoretically the range is limitless.' They followed that statement by saying that details of the distance and other parameters are not available. Also, there are no plans, as of now, to release the 4G dongle in North America.

I really would love for someone to do a flight distance test with the regular remote followed by the DJI RC Pro...

I kinda suspect the Pro remote will do better, but that's just a guess.

The stronger battery goes hand in hand with Longer range.

It also allows you to fly In More Extreme winds much longer also, , the Range is just a selling point that everyone loves as it is to a fast car. Eyes light up at 10 miles , but the reality is 3000 ft for most missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain ,Capture the Storm.
I'm not going to be one of those people but since you're in lies and say that I always abide by line of sight. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. However I wanted to comment about the range I was able to achieve with my old Mavic Air 2s. I was able to fly 30,000 ft with no problem. However I did use some basic range extending tricks that I have up my sleeve.... Just in case I ever need it. The problem I ran into was that my battery started to die. I got 50% and headed back. The wind kicked up and I barely got back. I must have made that forced landing take at least a mile. I'm saying I could have gone 35 or 40 with the way I set up my range extenders, if I didn't have to worry about my battery. This was also over a city. I'll pretend I had spotters just to stay in your eyes is good graces here.

I sold my air2s to another guy that night and he decided to try the same thing that I did but let's just say this.... He only made it a couple of miles before he lost the drone and never found it. I thought kind of bad but then again I told him not to do that because he was not an experienced drone pilot. He didn't know that it's best to return flying backwards after a certain point and he was not nearly high enough. I'm talking about altitude not marijuana.
Just say no to drugs and alcohol but yes to drones and altitude. I also forgot that when I sold it to him my return to home was set at about 30 meters. So wherever that drone is..... I'm willing to bet that it's in a tree. My bad yo.... My bad......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser