DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the RC Pro be compatible with OC4 drones? What are the differences in specs between ocusync 3 and 4?

wrybread

Reactions
I found this thread that describes the differences between ocusync 1, 2 and 3:

Quoting:

O1: 26dbm (~0.4 watts) 2.4Ghz only;

O2: 26dbm (~0.4 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz

OEnterprise (~0.9 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz tri channel (Matrice 300)

O3: 30dbm (1 watt) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz 2T4R antenna

O3+: 33dbm (2 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz antenna 2T4R + Wi-Fi 6 connectivity

Does anyone know how Ocusync 4 compares to the above? Are there any sigificant differences in radio frequences or power?

I'm mainly wondering if the differences are substantial enough from a hardware perspective to prevent the RC Pro controller from being compatible with the Air 3, Mini 4 Pro, etc.

Or another way to put it: what specifically makes the RC Pro incompatible with OC4 drones? Is it a question of software only, or hardware too?

It's a question of both software and hardware and it's the former that we don't know enough about to be able to make a good determination. DJI is really good at what they do and if they can make it work, they probably will. Sometimes it's not just will it work but how well it will work. Makes no sense to launch poor quality just because it connects. We stand an even 50/50 chance that DJI will find a way to make their equipment backwards compatible. However, don't forget ultimately there are in the business of selling drones and accessories so there are limits on what they will do for us. ;)

Thanks. I wish I knew enough about the actual technical differences between OC3 and OC4 to understand it better. What is the difference that necessitated the external antennas on the RC controller for example.

There's bizarrely little about what exactly OC4 is on the web, at least that I can find. Why does it have better range and penetration for example?

Last edited:
The O4 in the Mini 4 is:

33dbm (2 watts) 2.4 and 5.8Ghz antenna 2T4R + Wi-Fi 5 connectivity in FCC mode.

The only things that seem to have changed is that O4 has 23dbm output in CE mode on the 5.1Ghz band which is up from max 20dbm in CE mode for the Mavic 3’s O3+ for example. Also gets a slight latency improvement of 120ms with the RC-N1 down from 130ms.

These are of course the hardware specs and don’t take into account any software improvements which are difficult to measure and therefore easy to embellish.

I absolutely doubt there’s any hardware or software reason why O4 drones couldn’t use the RC Pro especially given that it uses the same RC-N1 of the past couple of generations. It’s just a matter of if DJI will give it that capability.

If the past is any indicator, it will not be compatible. That's what happened to the original Smart Controller when they came out with occusync 2. We bought the Smart Controller because it was very convenient, and of course thinking it would be compatible with future drone models. They of course proceeded to change to a new version which made them compatible with a few limited models. I suspect the same will continue wilt the next version. I suppose the only way to sell more Smart Controllers is to obsolete the older ones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne