DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd question about a long range flight

slozukimc

Reactions
I don’t have intentions to try this but I was curious if it could be done. If you have a drone like my M1P and have more than one remote control linked as the primary could you give one to another person say three miles away, fly the drone 1.5 miles and turn off the remote at the same time the other guy is turning on his so he can connect and fly the drone to his location? I am assuming VLOS is maintained by pilot 1 until pilot 2 takes over and rth would be cancelled by pilot 2 if it came on before the second controller connected.

Thoughts?

Mike

• Wow
Reactions: eEridani
Pair/un-pair flight controllers in mid-flight? Impossible.
It requires access to the power button on the drone...and that you are within a few feet.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Page 39 of the manual .
I have a similar set up with my M2P and have alternated between the two controllers in one flight. You do not need to switch the redundant controller off, in fact I wouldn't, especially if the redundant controller was the primary. It looks as if the M1 is similar but may give the secondary more menu access.
Again with the M2P, the primary need not be on at all at any point but as noted above the secondary has limited access to the control menus.
However whether such a flight would be legal is another matter ........

Re RTH that's a very good point to raise.
You should check to see if the secondary can actually cancel an RTH and also check if the secondary can reset the home point to its location, that would be the ideal solution. You can probably use the primary to reset the home point to the secondary's location by using the map in the app but, if you can do that with the M1, it is unlikely that you can set the home point with precision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: slozukimc
Page 39 of the manual .
I have a similar set up with my M2P and have alternated between the two controllers in one flight. You do not need to switch the redundant controller off, in fact I wouldn't, especially if the redundant controller was the primary. It looks as if the M1 is similar but may give the secondary more menu access.
Again with the M2P, the primary need not be on at all at any point but as noted above the secondary has limited access to the control menus.
However whether such a flight would be legal is another matter ........

Re RTH that's a very good point to raise.
You should check to see if the secondary can actually cancel an RTH and also check if the secondary can reset the home point to its location, that would be the ideal solution. You can probably use the primary to reset the home point to the secondary's location by using the map in the app but, if you can do that with the M1, it is unlikely that you can set the home point with precision.
You are right on the money. I forgot about being able to run two controllers at once with the M1P. Now what I am wondering is this. If a friend lives two miles away can he have the second remote at his house so that we could coordinate us both starting our controllers and me taking off toward his location. Would his controller eventually “lock on” so he could take over mid flight? I can experiment woth a lot of this without actually doing it. For science ya know. Lol.

Mike

You'd need to decide who has the primary and test the RTH stuff but I imagine his controller will lock on as soon as the drone is within range. Whoever has the primary is likely to have priority control throughout most of the flight. I think the secondary can take control if the primary has been inactive for xyz seconds but guess the primary would take control back as soon as it was touched.

You'd need to decide who has the primary and test the RTH stuff but I imagine his controller will lock on as soon as the drone is within range. Whoever has the primary is likely to have priority control throughout most of the flight. I think the secondary can take control if the primary has been inactive for xyz seconds but guess the primary would take control back as soon as it was touched.
Thank you. Now I assume as far as legality goes as long as the pilot that is in control has VLOS I would think you would be all good. Does anyone know?

Mike

Any one that can see a bird a mile and a half away has far better vision than me. Fun experiment for the desert but clearly violates the letter and intent of the FAA rules.

Reactions: tlswift58
Reactions: snowghost
Are you sure of that?

Post in thread 'a question concerning a distance flight where primary and secondary controllers are involved'
a question concerning a distance flight where primary and secondary controllers are involved

Mike
Some posts in the forum on long range flights do state they saw their bird well over a mile away. A couple did say they did have some high intensity strobes, so that may be possible. The others did not mention strobes, so there is that question. I'm on the side @eEridani that if "you" can see a Mavic drone (any of them) 1.5 miles away - you've got great eyesight. My Air2 gets out 1/8 - 1/4 mile and it disappears depending on sky factors. Even worse should I take my eyes off the drone for a few seconds to see what my camera is showing and then try reorienting to where the drone was when I last saw it (or that area).

We call can agree that the VLOS Rule SUCKS! Esp when we have a drone that can fly a long distance and has a very good camera for keeping orientation. Yet, the FAA made the rule and we all are supposed to abide by it. If you want to do a long range test, that is 100% up to you and knowing the rules. I'd just not advertise it here on the forum or anywhere else. The only reason I can think why someone would advertise doing so is simply for getting attention. Abiding by "all' the rules is tough for any of us - even the best out there; yet we do our best to protect all other drone pilots from more negative news and expanded rules by local to federal agencies by not advertising it publicly. Just keep it between you and your buddy friend if you decide to do it or leave out in a post that you flew 1.5 - 3 miles downrange. Just be simple and say you tried the feature out and hey "It works!" An old Navy saying (was not in Navy) - "Loose lips, sink ships!"

Some posts in the forum on long range flights do state they saw their bird well over a mile away. A couple did say they did have some high intensity strobes, so that may be possible. The others did not mention strobes, so there is that question. I'm on the side @eEridani that if "you" can see a Mavic drone (any of them) 1.5 miles away - you've got great eyesight. My Air2 gets out 1/8 - 1/4 mile and it disappears depending on sky factors. Even worse should I take my eyes off the drone for a few seconds to see what my camera is showing and then try reorienting to where the drone was when I last saw it (or that area).

We call can agree that the VLOS Rule SUCKS! Esp when we have a drone that can fly a long distance and has a very good camera for keeping orientation. Yet, the FAA made the rule and we all are supposed to abide by it. If you want to do a long range test, that is 100% up to you and knowing the rules. I'd just not advertise it here on the forum or anywhere else. The only reason I can think why someone would advertise doing so is simply for getting attention. Abiding by "all' the rules is tough for any of us - even the best out there; yet we do our best to protect all other drone pilots from more negative news and expanded rules by local to federal agencies by not advertising it publicly. Just keep it between you and your buddy friend if you decide to do it or leave out in a post that you flew 1.5 - 3 miles downrange. Just be simple and say you tried the feature out and hey "It works!" An old Navy saying (was not in Navy) - "Loose lips, sink ships!"
Ok so I should not have said 1.5 miles. That was a guess. I was messing around last evening and I can see my M1P approx 1 mile away as long as I don’t take my eyes off of it and the sky is clear.

So, if we can both see the drone a mile away we would technically be legal. This is all hypothetical anyway at this point because I barely trust myself to not screw up my drones let alone any of my friends. Lmao.

Mike

Ok so I should not have said 1.5 miles. That was a guess. I was messing around last evening and I can see my M1P approx 1 mile away as long as I don’t take my eyes off of it and the sky is clear.

So, if we can both see the drone a mile away we would technically be legal. This is all hypothetical anyway at this point because I barely trust myself to not screw up my drones let alone any of my friends. Lmao.

Mike

Having had vision approaching 20/05 as a kid (unmeasured but often wowing friends and neighbors with how much better my vision was - color blind as heck, but eagle eyed - lol), and 20/10 as an adult, I'd even challenge that mile claim.

Besides the personal experience, the angular size of a 4" tall drone at one mile is below the resolution of the human eye. Even larger drone body length at 12" is below the limits we can see (the drone arms are invisible at distance). For example, a basketball at a mile is smaller than most humans can see. Average people can discern as small as 0.02 degrees. A basketball at a mile is 0.01 degrees.

That said - just be able to prove to an FAA inspector you have 20/02 vision when he askes.

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
ONE CONTROLLER LINKED AIRCRAFT ACTUALLY BOTH LINKED DroneControl Beta release - livestream with remote control BUT FOR THE 2 CONTROLLER TO RUN CAMERA ONLY CHECK THIS OUT I THINK THEY ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU IT,S AN AWESOME IDEA
Yes, as mentioned we do support having two users control the drone at the same time, one can control the gimbal camera while the other can fly. Though regarding OP question, one user can theoretically be on the other side of the planet to control the drone, but the drone owner that is on the spot needs to maintain connection with the drone at all times. This will always be the case, until DJI comes up with a drone that has SIM card onboard and you can connect to it via the mobile network Internet.

Reactions: dave canada

Where might one find these "high intensity strobes"?

I have the standard firehouse strobe on my Mini-2, but even with that, I can only reliably see it out to about 1000 ft. Maybe 1200 ft on a good day.

Thx,

TCS

VLOS is not just the maximum distance you can see your drone, it's also being able to maintain situational awareness, as in is my drone closer or further away/closing on that helicopter? At a mile away, you've no idea.

I don’t have intentions to try this but I was curious if it could be done. If you have a drone like my M1P and have more than one remote control linked as the primary could you give one to another person say three miles away, fly the drone 1.5 miles and turn off the remote at the same time the other guy is turning on his so he can connect and fly the drone to his location? I am assuming VLOS is maintained by pilot 1 until pilot 2 takes over and rth would be cancelled by pilot 2 if it came on before the second controller connected.

Thoughts?

Mike
VLOS is not just the maximum distance you can see your drone, it's also being able to maintain situational awareness, as in is my drone closer or further away/closing on that helicopter? At a mile away, you've no idea.
Well I agree long distance fight on the edge of VLOS isn't a smart move but you often can't tell if the drone is away/closer than an aircraft at short distances either. I had a plane come low just above the water at a lake and flew up the river inlet where I was operating. My drone 100 feet away from me in clear sight and the plane just missed my Mavic by a few feet. Maintaining situational awareness is important but other interactions also come into play such as terrain, obstructed sight distances, or even flying in areas prone to encountering manned aircraft. I can't tell if a plane is anywhere near my drone no matter what the distance is...I just see and avoid to the best of my ability and hope I don't cause an incident. RC pilots are responsible to keep their unmanned aircraft from hitting a manned aircraft so risk management comes into play. I've had several manned aircraft enter my area when I was operating +/- 2000' out and while I knew my (legal) approximate AGL, I didn't have a clue what the planes altitude was or even if it was on a collision course. But I could see my strobes and simply lowered my drone to give wide berth to the oncoming aircraft.

So, legal or not, my answer to the OP's post is I wouldn't risk trying to do this.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Here's an off-the-wall question.

Has anyone tried to carry extra batteries as a payload, wired to extend the range of the drone?

As an engineering question, completely distinct from any regulatory considerations...could that work?

Thx,

TCS

Here's an off-the-wall question.

Has anyone tried to carry extra batteries as a payload, wired to extend the range of the drone?

As an engineering question, completely distinct from any regulatory considerations...could that work?

Thx,

TCS
Yes. Google your particular model with something like extra battery and you should find something. Seems to be quite a balancing act between weight, aerodynamics, range and speed.

Yes. Google your particular model with something like extra battery and you should find something. Seems to be quite a balancing act between weight, aerodynamics, range and speed.
I don't doubt it!

I have Mini-2s, but I have no actual interest in doing it. I'd just like to see it, if anyone has videos of such a beast.

Thx,

TCS

Here is my input.
At least in normal R/C controllers, when you use a buddy box or a cable to have 2 controllers with 1 aircraft, the main controller antennas are the one that always is transmitting even when you switch the trainer bottom to give control to the second controller.

The other option of moving the RTH home point will work. In the primary controller, just take off and move the home point to your desired destination and just press the RTH bottom and the drone will go there and land. Then in order to come back assuming you have a person in the other end with another control, just rebind the drone to the other controller and repeat the same process but with the drone coming back to you.

I did a test explaining how to move the home point in this video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots