DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

It shouldn't. I've flown on RC only, but not at that distance.
@chazz I'm not sure, but I tried simulating flights by starting the motors, spoofing rc location at home point and then driving 18k away. Can't duplicate the problem that way.

Reactions: chazz
J0TMIkS.png

@JakeMaxxUAV 59,983ft.

To extend the hard distance limit I launched and then walked 1k ft down the road. [emoji23]

I don't understand the logic of this, I mean I understand trying to experiment to get past the hard limit, but I don't see why anyone would think it should be considered for a distance run record when you launched and then walked closer to your aircraft as it was flying!!
That just changes the whole game, and the whole way that it's always been played.
That's like saying I followed the aircraft with the car, to maintain signal, yeah I had enough batteries packed on that it still made it that far and back but it changes the whole game to walk closer to the distance you're trying to reach.
I think it cheats legit flights like unknown callers to use tactics like that.
Yes in the name of experimenting, but not in the name of the record run.

Props for the amazing flight, but I don't see why you think this should count as a leaderboard run

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the logic of this, I mean I understand trying to experiment to get past the hard limit, but I don't see why anyone would think it should be considered for a distance run record when you launched and then walked closer to your aircraft as it was flying!!
That just changes the whole game, and the whole way that it's always been played.
That's like saying I followed the aircraft with the car, to maintain signal, yeah I had enough batteries packed on that it still made it that far and back but it changes the whole game to walk closer to the distance you're trying to reach.
I think it cheats legit flights like unknown callers to use tactics like that.
Yes in the name of experimenting, but not in the name of the record run.

Props for the amazing flight, but I don't see why you think this should count as a leaderboard run
R2YTZYp.png

Thanks for your opinion. Signal isn't an issue on the Mavic like it is on Phantoms. The Nanosync is probably lowest gain antenna for flying these distances and that 1k ft makes zero difference to the signal range.

Let's hear what Unknowncaller and Jake have to say.

So now to compete in this competition we have to drive or be transported a mile from homepoint.

So now to compete in this competition we have to drive or be transported a mile from homepoint.
What's your leaderboard distance here?

Anyone who cares about their aircraft will have an approach home with plenty of runoff to land short.

4105c22358916889df85c95c5748a3de.jpg

You posted this. I made it home with 13%.

Last edited:

Anyone who cares about their aircraft will have an approach home with plenty of runoff to land short.

I guess that's our problem if we don't have a flying spot where we can drive a mile down the road, I currently don't have a spot like that. I know some people do take off right from the waters edge, unknown caller has a popular flying spot that he's been using for a couple years where he is right on the waters edge.
I hope by asking what my distances is you're not trying to belittle me like I don't have a right to have an opinion, I give you the benefit of the doubt that that's not what you was trying to do[emoji41]

4105c22358916889df85c95c5748a3de.jpg

You posted this. I made it home with 13%.

Yes I think that is a fair way!
Hit the distance limit, and come back with the most percentage.
I know you say that signal is not an issue with the Mavic, but signal has always been a part of a distance run, if you move 1000 feet forward, you can say that you wouldn't of lost signal either way but you didn't stand back there so you really don't know, every day every flight is different. So I get what you're saying by recalling my old post and I stand by that, but this new post, it's my opinion that you shouldn't be able to move forward on mile or even 1000 feet on a distance run, and again it's only my opinion.

If you went and hit the distance limit and it showed the same exact number is unknown caller but came back with 13%, I think you should've been on top of his name on the leaderboard.

And again it's our problem who try to compete against that, that we don't have a location that we can travel forward,but most people are not going to be able to move forward even 1000 feet

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think this whole distance limit thing kinda sucks and i hope someone figures it out. The P3 landing when you get past 65000' after loosing signal sucked but it does get your heart beating and when you pass it on the way back it was that much more exhilarating. This thing doesn't give you a chance. What good is that?

I guess that's our problem if we don't have a flying spot where we can drive a mile down the road, I currently don't have a spot like that. I know some people do take off right from the waters edge, unknown caller has a popular flying spot that he's been using for a couple years where he is right on the waters edge.
I hope by asking what my distances is you're not trying to belittle me like I don't have a right to have an opinion, I give you the benefit of the doubt that that's not what you was trying to do[emoji41]
Not at all, but there's only a few people right now that can easily get to the limit, and my record flight only changes Unknowncaller's position on the board. Cybernate is flying a setup that can do it and he will likely be next, in fact I was just telling him to shoot for 61k to keep things going forward.

My Phantom is still sitting in a box on the shelf for now. If the Mavic turns out to be a dead end product then the Phantom might be the next project.

@JakeMaxxUAV

45,264 feet, Battery Mod, Titan Cyclone Range Extender

Flew in the same area but different takeoff location, was at 380ft in elevation at takeoff and 1220ft at turnaround. Crosswinds all the way out and back though. I had some problems on takeoff with interference and used up some battery so I had to cut the flight short (realized my phone was in my pocket).

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I just think collectively there should be another solution to what makes it a top-flight, and I don't think moving your RC a mile forward from your home point is the answer. But if that's what becomes acceptable to everybody, then you adapt or you don't I think it's cheating the guy that stands still and goes 59

Even the suggestion of coming back from the hard limit and turning around and going back 1000 feet and back seems more legit, even though I didn't really agree with that one.

Very impressive flight though Lolo and very impressive battery numbers

Reactions: dirkclod
@lolo780
Do you have an air data link for that record flight? Curious what the projections are.

@CyberNate DJI watergating our record flight logs. :confused:

Projection based on the .dat file is 40.9km total distance in those conditions. I have 3 TP4500s and 1 3500 arriving tomorrow. I'll be testing 2x4500 + 3500 and 3x4500. 9" props have no trouble lifting the weight, just not sure how efficiency will be in the mid to high 1200g range.

If the triple external shows promise I'm going to overpack all 4 batteries to at least 4.42v per cell and take the setup out of town to a spot a local Phantom guy sent me. He's been ~13 miles there and looks like plenty more room on the map.

Last edited:
Yep, true. My failed 59K run flight log is missing from today. I don't see this on my Ios device, but today I was using android phone (S8+).
cyber you still had the same problem with losing the signal at 59k. I think your the first to make it there with an android.

Projection based on the .dat file is 40.9km total distance in those conditions. I have 3 TP4500s and 1 3500 arriving tomorrow. I'll be testing 2x4500 + 3500 and 3x4500. 9" props have no trouble lifting the weight, just not sure how efficiency will be in the mid to high 1200g range.

If the triple external shows promise I'm going to overpack all 4 batteries to at least 4.42v per cell and take the setup out of town to a spot a local Phantom guy sent me. He's been ~13 miles there and looks like plenty more room on the map.

How will you get the overcharged lipos from turning off the dji battery?

Only 13 plus miles come on over I'll show you 20 Plus. If you watch my video the mountains in the back ground are 17 miles.

Reactions: lolo780

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign