DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Guys I sense a little discontent here and I am not a player in this but let me throw this out there . I have to agree with DB on this as in the OP
Jake does say
  • Screenshot showing the maximum distance from home, either from the DJI Go App, Litchi, or Healthydrones.
  • Screenshot of you making it back home
Now this is your game and do it as you guys want but I wouldn't change the rules this far in .
Start another thread with different rules .
JMO .
running.gif

Reactions: Phxbird57
Guys I sense a little discontent here and I am not a player in this but let me throw this out there . I have to agree with DB on this as in the OP
Jake does say

Now this is your game and do it as you guys want but I wouldn't change the rules this far in .
Start another thread with different rules .
JMO .
View attachment 26590

Good point, but those rules were made before anyone knew the Mavic had this limitation. In that case it may come down to a retarded game of chicken. Who wants to turn their braking off and coast through the hard limit on max speed ATTI mode? Change the RC signal lost timer from 3s to as long as you dare. With a tail wind in ATTI mode and RC signal lost time of 120s that should set the record.

Another idea is to link a 2nd remote. Anyone tried that?

Did not post to argue any points but just to say that's what this thread started as and unless Jake changes the rules than that's how they should stay . AIl so said it was just my opinion and do as you wish .

I just read the last few pages and as an outsider observer I think that Lolo flight or anyone else that tries this approach can only be considered if they start the flight from the take off position, then walk or ride to new location in the direction of flight, to beat the hard limit but then they would have to walk or drive back to the original start location and land back there.

It has to be the same start and landing point.

Yeah we do have to adapt because of this hard limit, but walking or riding to a new location really defeats the purpose of the whole thread, the thread was started by a guy who sells antennas. All of @JakeMaxxUAV leaderboard threads have been about distance from point A to point B and back.

When I did 100,000 feet one way on the PIII suicide leaderboard , I'm sure Jake wouldn't of posted that flight if I followed it halfway in a car, nor would I asked him too. I would've posted that flight in the battery mod thread to show how far I could go with my batteries, if I followed it with a car.
But like lolo pointed out, I have not gone 59,000.

Yeah we do have to adapt because of this hard limit, but walking or riding to a new location really defeats the purpose of the whole thread, the thread was started by a guy who sells antennas. All of @JakeMaxxUAV leaderboard threads have been about distance from point A to point B and back.

When I did 100,000 feet one way on the PIII suicide leaderboard , I'm sure Jake wouldn't of posted that flight if I followed it halfway in a car, nor would I asked him too. I would've posted that flight in the battery mod thread to show how far I could go with my batteries, if I followed it with a car.
But like lolo pointed out, I have not gone 59,000.

I don't like the idea of moving from home point. By the way, that 100,000ft flight is ridiculously amazing. That was one of the posts that got me excited about trying long range way back over a year ago.

Reactions: dirtybum
The Mavic will complete a GPS waypoint mission without the RC. Problem solved.
Did I miss it? Was it determined the RC is enforcing the distance limit?

The Mavic will complete a GPS waypoint mission without the RC. Problem solved.

Yeah, but I'm not sure that qualifies for a range test. The point is to get maximum distance for signal and battery. Of course you could just use litchi and send it off and wait for it to come back, but that's not a real range test in the scope of this discussion. I guess if we have no other option, it could be an option. I'd be nervous to give up control that far out.

Did I miss it? Was it determined the RC is enforcing the distance limit?
Unconfirmed, but on the .Dat file the rc signal goes from 100 to zero instantly.

94eb7a4307cbaf4d504d13a79b4af224.jpg

4 bars HD and zero RC not likely considering my RC is boosted.

0ab178e81469b92c3961a7e073a33e03.jpg

This also works. Spoofed phone GPS location, but was actually closer.

Yeah, but I'm not sure that qualifies for a range test. The point is to get maximum distance for signal and battery. Of course you could just use litchi and send it off and wait for it to come back, but that's not a real range test in the scope of this discussion. I guess if we have no other option, it could be an option. I'd be nervous to give up control that far out.
I'd be in favor of giving pilots the option to either move the RC or use waypoints. If you move RC it must only be a reasonable amount to get around the distance limit. No sitting at half distance the whole flight.

Waypoints used only within X% of the limit. 5-10%? Must return at the same or greater altitude, must return to RC control no later than the point it left.

I'd be in favor of giving pilots the option to either move the RC or use waypoints. If you move RC it must only be a reasonable amount to get around the distance limit. No sitting at half distance the whole flight.

Waypoints used only within X% of the limit. 5-10%? Must return at the same or greater altitude, must return to RC control no later than the point it left.

couple questions if i can lolo. How do you have only 66% capacity left at 3.9V? Higher capacity cells plugged into the battery control board perhaps?

Also this might sound like a newbie question but if you walk in the same direction you're flying, say 1000ft to get past the force field, do you reset your home point to where you walked to? And if you do that wouldn't it subtract that from your distance? I'm a little confused.

Last edited:
couple questions if i can lolo. How do you have only 66% capacity left at 3.9V? Higher capacity cells plugged into the battery control board perhaps?

Also this might sound like a newbie question but if you walk in the same direction you're flying, say 1000ft to get past the force field, do you reset your home point to where you walked to? And if you do that wouldn't it subtract that from your distance? I'm a little confused.
There are no props installed. [emoji23]
I started the motors, hit up on the RC and lifted the Mavic to set the flight mode flag. Then put on cruise control and drove it 18km away. Go app recognizes it as a flight, RC was in the car but GPS emulator was telling the app the RC was at the home point.

If you lift off and move the RC, the home point is unchanged unless you choose to update it. The aircraft .dat file logs distance HP.

There are no props installed. [emoji23]
I started the motors, hit up on the RC and lifted the Mavic to set the flight mode flag. Then put on cruise control and drove it 18km away. Go app recognizes it as a flight, RC was in the car but GPS emulator was telling the app the RC was at the home point.

If you lift off and move the RC, the home point is unchanged unless you choose to update it. The aircraft .dat file logs distance HP.
whats the purpose?,except to cheat?

Oh ok that makes sense;).

You probably said this but i'm a little slow and not understanding so I'll ask. When you drove with the RC and Bird in the car and the home point set to where you started your drive did the force field thing happened when you hit 58500ft?

Oh ok that makes sense;).

You probably said this but i'm a little slow and not understanding so I'll ask. When you drove with the RC and Bird in the car and the home point set to where you started your drive did the force field thing happened when you hit 58500ft?
No, we cannot duplicate it any other way so far except by actually flying 59k ft. I'm open to suggestions from everyone.
I just received 4 new packs from Thunderpower so I'll be able to loiter out there and take my time testing. I hope to at least nail down exactly what it is soon for the benefit of all the long range Mavic guys.

Reactions: dirtybum
Yeah man i know how it feels to be hooked on something...

So it really doesn't make sense...I thought it would be the distance from the recorder home point but you seemed to figure that isn't the case with your test. But there's really no way it could know the distance from the RC, i mean there's not GPS in the RC right? And there's no saying its the distance from the tablet your using because not all have gps and it probably does the same with wifi only tabs.

When your driving in the car with the RC is the distance showing on that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph