DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have not disabled auto landing by changing DJI battery setting to non-DJI battery type in DJI assistant 2. You should do this as it avoids going into early auto landing which severely cuts current to the motors.

Do you display the cell voltage next to percentage? If the voltage cell drops below 3.40V per cell, then critically low battery auto landing occurs, but at 16% battery level I don't think you got this. You were likely flying a bit high which results in early auto landing as it is calculated based on height. If you change battery type setting in the hidden parameters to non-DJIyou will avoid this on the future.

Did you adjust / lower the critical low battery voltage setting for non DJI batteries? Just wondering how low is too low, don't wanna permanently ruin any of my batteries.

yeah chazz, that looked nerve-racking! it seems like one of the rear motors is just giving out every now and again.

yeah that's possible, i didn't even think about that. I was thinking it was either getting attacked from a bird or it was trying to take the long way back to china. It was literally my 4th flight with this thing. Maybe i did some damage with the 2- 5.2's from my first flight.

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have not disabled auto landing by changing DJI battery setting to non-DJI battery type in DJI assistant 2. You should do this as it avoids going into early auto landing which severely cuts current to the motors.

Do you display the cell voltage next to percentage? If the voltage cell drops below 3.40V per cell, then critically low battery auto landing occurs, but at 16% battery level I don't think you got this. You were likely flying a bit high which results in early auto landing as it is calculated based on height. If you change battery type setting in the hidden parameters to non-DJIyou will avoid this on the future.

yea, I have had those tweaks for months now and regularly run down sub ~4% before any force landings ensue. After looking at the telemetry, I dropped from 14% to 4% battery in a moment and don't have a clue why.

EDIT: I just realized I was using one of my old batteries that had been run down to near zero several times (I thought I was using one of my new factory batteries for this run). I think that explains this, but I am not a battery expert. Anyone know the side effects of running a battery down multipole times??

Good news is that I found my bird this morning!! It landed/crashed in an un-cut hay field on a pillow of grass and not a single damaged rotor prop. Bad news is the rat's found it overnight before I got there :(

I hope it doesn't take another 3 months to get another set of these darned 4.0's that are so hard to find. I bet that rat got quite a "shock" after entering the battery.

dronemods-273.png dronemods-272.png dronemods-271.png dronemods-270.png

Last edited:
yea, I have had those tweaks for months now and regularly run down sub ~4% before any force landings ensue. After looking at the telemetry, I dropped from 14% to 4% battery in a moment and don't have a clue why.

Good news is that I found my bird this morning!! It landed/crashed in an un-cut hay field on a pillow of grass and not a single damaged rotor prop. Bad news is the rat's found it overnight before I got there :(

I hope it doesn't take another 3 months to get another set of these darned 4.0's that are so hard to find. I bet that rat got quite a "shock" after entering the battery.

View attachment 23437 View attachment 23438 View attachment 23439 View attachment 23440

Wow! Those are some aggressive RATS! That sucks! I think the batteries are easier to get now. There is also the option to use the following battery option which I'm also considering:

- ProTek RC 3S 100C Silicon Graphene HV Shorty LiPo Battery (11.4V/3600mAh) [PTK-5116-17] | Rock Crawlers

- Thunder Power RC TP4500-3SHV

Both of these are good low weight to power ratios. Lolo uses the thunderpower cells. No one has really tried the 3600 cells which should be awesome with that 100C discharge rating.

What’s that old saying, Go Big or Stay Home!

148165fc213daeb5602d688d5b26fe34.jpg

Well I when big today flying out over the bay with two Protek 3600s mounted underneath the bird. The weather was nice about 60°F with the light southwest wind about 2-3mph .The trip out was excellent, got to 50,000 feet with 60% battery left. After that things started going badly. I had obstacle avoidance turned off. But It appeared to kick in from sun glare 3 times forcing my bird to turn left at a 45° angle. Forcing me to try to get the bird back on track. Needless to say I got greedy and I should’ve just Stayed Home and not Gone Big. Came up 1207 feet short, one bird Lost to the bottom of the dark cold water of the Chesapeake Bay. I believe if I could have kept the bird straight on the same path it flew out I would’ve made it back. Oh well, time to go shopping for new Mavic.

490989cf33a5b4d230113b4a4075b8fd.jpg

Finally!! I've been waiting for someone to try these Protek 3600 batteries! Nice flight!

Update: Crap!! I did't realize you lost the drone! Well that sucks royaly! Problem with the 100C rating, you'll get more of the power in the 100 - 50% range than 50 - 0 range. The high C rated batteries will have lower voltage than the internals.

Reactions: SkyNinja
What’s that old saying, Go Big or Stay Home!

148165fc213daeb5602d688d5b26fe34.jpg

Well I when big today flying out over the bay with two Protek 3600s mounted underneath the bird. The weather was nice about 60°F with the light southwest wind about 2-3mph .The trip out was excellent, got to 50,000 feet with 60% battery left. After that things started going badly. I had obstacle avoidance turned off. But It appeared to kick in from sun glare 3 times forcing my bird to turn left at a 45° angle. Forcing me to try to get the bird back on track. Needless to say I got greedy and I should’ve just Stayed Home and not Gone Big. Came up 1207 feet short, one bird Lost to the bottom of the dark cold water of the Chesapeake Bay. I believe if I could have kept the bird straight on the same path it flew out I would’ve made it back. Oh well, time to go shopping for new Mavic.

490989cf33a5b4d230113b4a4075b8fd.jpg
Can you share the airdata link from this flight?

You went out 5.2 miles on a stock setup to only 38% battery left and by some miracle made it back home and then some! I tip my hat to you sir you're brave!

Platinum props :D

Actually I did a quick test flight and measured wattage/amps in both directions and figured I should turn around at 40%. Flying on 0% with the stock battery for the first time is scary.

Reactions: cderoche
@SkyNinja, you said it was a southwest wind, does that mean you was flying out with the wind and coming back into the wind?

South southwest wind One to 3 mph pretty much exact same weather we’re having here tomorrow. Which is pretty much as calm as it gets.

a6ca9fa9943e1f2ee5c2aed7d3be1ace.jpg

If I had just follow a straight path back I Probably would have made it.

I live about 7 miles outside of Washington DC, so there’s not a lot of places I can fly for distance overland☹️

I’m about to place an order for some new Protek 3600s Already have a set of thunder Powers 4500 on the way.

Picked up a new bird from Costco’s about a hour ago[emoji851]

1622be8dfd8ea4dabe82c38063955b2e.jpg

Just need to downgrade firmware, change some parameters open her up and wire and some new battery connectors.

41b159555a933542f7ebc8f5324327df.jpg

Wow! Those are some aggressive RATS! That sucks! I think the batteries are easier to get now. There is also the option to use the following battery option which I'm also considering:

- ProTek RC 3S 100C Silicon Graphene HV Shorty LiPo Battery (11.4V/3600mAh) [PTK-5116-17] | Rock Crawlers

- Thunder Power RC TP4500-3SHV

Both of these are good low weight to power ratios. Lolo uses the thunderpower cells. No one has really tried the 3600 cells which should be awesome with that 100C discharge rating.
hey cybernate, it seems like for the last 6 months the trend was to use low discharge batteries but I never heard an explanation why. What are the pros/cons of high discharge 100C units?

The loss of yaw control and resulting left turns under load are something I've seen before and I would highly recommend you guys ditch the rear lower motor caps and ventilate the fronts. Venting the plastic over the ESC board knocks down temps a lot as well.

233c31d678c0050446918c2521b1d159.jpg

The label weighs about 0.3g. Don't need it.

ba7b23c6988e09c90f7e953e011c496b.jpg

Flipped landing gear and more cooling. So far the signal at 8500m is better.

South southwest wind One to 3 mph pretty much exact same weather we’re having here tomorrow. Which is pretty much as calm as it gets.

a6ca9fa9943e1f2ee5c2aed7d3be1ace.jpg

If I had just follow a straight path back I Probably would have made it.

I live about 7 miles outside of Washington DC, so there’s not a lot of places I can fly for distance overland☹️

I’m about to place an order for some new Protek 3600s Already have a set of thunder Powers 4500 on the way.

Picked up a new bird from Costco’s about a hour ago[emoji851]

1622be8dfd8ea4dabe82c38063955b2e.jpg

Just need to downgrade firmware, change some parameters open her up and wire and some new battery connectors.

41b159555a933542f7ebc8f5324327df.jpg

I have some slightly rat chewed battery wires if you need some :)

hey cybernate, it seems like for the last 6 months the trend was to use low discharge batteries but I never heard an explanation why. What are the pros/cons of high discharge 100C units?

Well low discharge batteries are usually more dense and therefore lighter. It's not the low discharge rating that people care about, but rather the weight of the battery. If you can get high discharge rate AND low weight it's a win all the way around. High C rating means you'll get all of the energy out of the battery without having to run down to extreme low voltage. Low discharge rate means high internal resistance and therefore more voltage sag. The exception to this is Multistar LiHV which have a low C rating, but actually have low internal resistance.

The loss of yaw control and resulting left turns under load are something I've seen before and I would highly recommend you guys ditch the rear lower motor caps and ventilate the fronts. Venting the plastic over the ESC board knocks down temps a lot as well.

233c31d678c0050446918c2521b1d159.jpg

The label weighs about 0.3g. Don't need it.

ba7b23c6988e09c90f7e953e011c496b.jpg

Flipped landing gear and more cooling. So far the signal at 8500m is better.

Love the work you're doing. Now get out there and do a long range flight to put it to the test!

@SkyNinja. maybe you explained it and I didn't understand, what is your fighting a headwind on your return trip.
it seems like your issue started right after your turn around and continued the rest the way back. i'm just trying to find out if that's from fighting the wind with two externals on

EDIT: I just realized I was using one of my old batteries that had been run down to near zero several times (I thought I was using one of my new factory batteries for this run). I think that explains this, but I am not a battery expert. Anyone know the side effects of running a battery down multipole times??

View attachment 23437 View attachment 23438 View attachment 23439 View attachment 23440
Anyone have suggestions on the best way to neutralize/dispose of these compromised batteries?

Love the work you're doing. Now get out there and do a long range flight to put it to the test!

I want to do at least one near perfect stock battery run. Starting aircraft temp 40c, fly off right away, lower wind and possibly lower altitude. With the extra signal I'm getting from the antenna mod I can get more creative with terrain and features, especially at only 8500m.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga