DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

I left it plugged in and the Mavic "on", I keep an eye to SE if the leds are lit up on the battery itself. If not I land and double click the battery...

I feel like with these lihv batteries I have to do this dance almost every time?

Am I crazy?

But I think the airdata tells the tale. No autolanding that I saw. Maybe turning the battery on afterwards bypasses its ability to determine autolanding?

Look here
RC Groups - View Single Post - DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD

That's an interesting way to do it. I think most of us power off all completely.

I think the non-dji battery parameter disables autoland. You have to monitor voltage closely instead. I could be wrong...I never verified this.
Yeah I think so too. I was told to never shut off the drone or turn on the drone by plugging in the external batteries? So I figured to keep turning on the battery until it stayed on. It has worked for me. I checked my externals after... both the 5.2 and the 4.0 Lihv's has less than 15% left in them after the flight and after the mavic battery was spent. Maybe due to the Battery Clip having high resistance? I'm not that smart. But this method has worked well.

@Ed209 one other thing worth mentioning. When I had the battery setting to "normal"... and I tried to use my externals... it simply will not work? I turned on the drone, plugged in the externals like always, and immediately got "Battery Error" on the app and controller? So I switched back to the "Non-DJI" battery. Works good now. It's worth noting also I don't have battery time remaining anymore, with or without externals? It was driving me nuts... now I just watch voltage like you said.

not be able to see battery time remaining vs battery time flown would be a real downside for me. Those calculations play an important role for to decide just how far to push it.

also, being able to see how far you've flown before the counter starts counting down from 25:00 always spoke volumes about your run a how far your externals were going to take you(at least on the p3/4)
that would be hard to get used to not having that valuable info.
so you have to loose that to disable critical land or only to skip using dji board?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phxbird57 and Ed209
@Ed209 one other thing worth mentioning. When I had the battery setting to "normal"... and I tried to use my externals... it simply will not work? I turned on the drone, plugged in the externals like always, and immediately got "Battery Error" on the app and controller? So I switched back to the "Non-DJI" battery. Works good now. It's worth noting also I don't have battery time remaining anymore, with or without externals? It was driving me nuts... now I just watch voltage like you said.

That is because your externals had a slightly higher voltage than the DJI battery and it went into charge mode and probably shut off. This is avoided by slightly undercharging the externals. Or by taking off and hovering for a bit to discharge the externals a bit.

I know that the time estimate is gone because it is not calculating data coming from the BMS on the DJI battery when set to non-dji battery. But curious if it still showed flight time in the battery info screen? What about battery percentage? I'm wondering if it's doing some basic calculation to come up with percentage based on the voltage? This is one area I want to experiment with more but my time is limited.

Last edited:
not be able to see battery time remaining vs battery time flown would be a real downside for me. Those calculations play an important role for to decide just how far to push it.

also, being able to see how far you've flown before the counter starts counting down from 25:00 always spoke volumes about your run a how far your externals were going to take you(at least on the p3/4)
so you have to loose that to disable critical land or only to skip using dji board?

You just have to adjust to the "voltage way" of figuring things out. It's just another way of gambling! Regular R/C FPV is done this way.

My post can be deleted if it's not appropriate here, but I wanted to share this. Randomly I checked where my Mavic was last night and got this

2af8ddcb63d5d7aa709506e439617464.jpg
9b7f4606f8e61b045b2aebbb30060c62.jpg

So I know it's not the best choice of locations, but here's my entry.
@JakeMaxxUAV

Bone Stock, Absolutely no wind, aimed for 30mph flat, 250ft alt until signal problems, then 400ft.
Oddly enough the only issues I had were RC link, the HD feed was always 4-5 bars the entire flight. Battery has 4 cycles on it.
8d0399a000d03ccb6247382b403c12f9.png
a6ac9c063e3eb2d622cdebb63bd96f74.png

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
My hobbyking 4.0LiHv's just arrived from Hong Kong that were ordered on June 28. Serious slow boat from china :)

Reactions: lolo780

Yeah I have no counter. Just "--:--" all the way down to the first critical marking.

That is because your externals had a slightly higher voltage than the DJI battery and it went into charge mode and probably shut off. This is avoided by slightly undercharging the externals. Or by taking off and hovering for a bit to discharge the externals a bit.

I know that the time estimate is gone because it is not calculating data coming from the BMS on the DJI battery when set to non-dji battery. But curious if it still showed flight time in the battery info screen? What about battery percentage? I'm wondering if it's doing some basic calculation to come up with percentage based on the voltage? This is one area I want to experiment with more but my time is limited.

No I mean, when it was set to battery STOCK, it wouldn't even let me take off to burn the excess. It just said "battery error".

But yes it still showed the flight time, each cell, and the overall percentage. If you look at my screenshot you'll see no timer, but the percentage is there. 51% at the turn around.

Reactions: Soft7
Stupid question here, I'm a newbie to the Mavic and was wondering must you have a clear line of sight to do these long distance flights ?

I live where there is no long distance line of sights available, lot's of trees, I'm worried about spreading my wings so to speak, the farthest I've flown away from myself was only about 2500 ft at 300 ft high.

No I mean, when it was set to battery STOCK, it wouldn't even let me take off to burn the excess. It just said "battery error".

But yes it still showed the flight time, each cell, and the overall percentage. If you look at my screenshot you'll see no timer, but the percentage is there. 51% at the turn around.

Ah ok. That sounds like you plugged-in externals too soon. That's typically what you see. Or in your case you're doing a lot of fidgeting and you said you left externals connected while powering off the DJI battery... The Mavic doesn't play well when you do it out of order. That's why it's said many times to power on DJI bat THEN plug in your externals. If your DJI bat starts charging and/or shuts off, you have to unplug externals and start over again.

Ah ok. That sounds like you plugged-in externals too soon. That's typically what you see. Or in your case you're doing a lot of fidgeting and you said you left externals connected while powering off the DJI battery... The Mavic doesn't play well when you do it out of order. That's why it's said many times to power on DJI bat THEN plug in your externals. If your DJI bat starts charging and/or shuts off, you have to unplug externals and start over again.

That is what I do... i do this-

1. Turn on the Mavic Battery: let is turn on all the way.
2. Plug in externals

Usually what happens is he battery starts charging. Then I fly for a minute, then land and turn ON the battery again. Then fly if it stays on.

One thing you said that is probably true... I'm hooking the externals too soon.

Reactions: Soft7
That is what I do... i do this-

1. Turn on the Mavic Battery: let is turn on all the way.
2. Plug in externals

Usually what happens is he battery starts charging. Then I fly for a minute, then land and turn ON the battery again. Then fly if it stays on.

One thing you said that is probably true... I'm hooking the externals too soon.

You have to disconnect the externals before you turn the DJI bat back on. Might want to take this over to the bat mod thread instead of cluttering up the leaderboard.

You have to disconnect the externals before you turn the DJI bat back on. Might want to take this over to the bat mod thread instead of cluttering up the leaderboard.

Oh I see. I'll try that. It seems to work the way I'm doing it? Just minimal info.

Stupid question here, I'm a newbie to the Mavic and was wondering must you have a clear line of sight to do these long distance flights ?

I live where there is no long distance line of sights available, lot's of trees, I'm worried about spreading my wings so to speak, the farthest I've flown away from myself was only about 2500 ft at 300 ft high.

To fly far you need no obstacles between the remote and the Mavic. Obstacles like trees reduce the signal. I live in the suburbs but found a few fields where I could fly out and keep the space clear between RC and the Mavic. If I try to fly from my backyard I only get a few thousand feet in most directions and one direction offers gets a little farther.

1972317d927498fc95d0f54a2e11878c.jpg

17000 FT in PA I had 3-4 bars left returned only because received warning sign of battery only enough for go back home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying