DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Full speed in ATTI mode at 58k, no brakes. Maybe extend the lost signal counter time as well and make the Mavic take the longest time turn around.
when you do loose the signal after 58K do you still get telemetry and video to know it's coming back and at what speed. also are you able to take controller over any time coming back?

when you do loose the signal after 58K do you still get telemetry and video to know it's coming back and at what speed. also are you able to take controller over any time coming back?
You lose all connections and normally will reconnect after around 15 seconds when it's already heading home in RTH mode.

Hey @JakeMaxxUAV need to move me up the list 3 more notches from previous run.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

dronemods-232.png
Had a very, very, very RARE low wind night at my locale with winds at 500 foot altitude under 6mph. I have never experienced this from my home base and headed out with a vengeance.

I landed with 20% battery, but didn't know better because I didn't have a reference when to make the turn in these conditions. I might try one more time tonight.

I also made this bungee cord gadget to fine tune regulate the throttle. I found there are only 4 forward registering positions on the mavic throttle stick. Even so, I am now able to dial in exactly the motor to stay under 80% and as Cybernate always said, it make a HUGE difference.

dronemods-233.png

You getting an amped antenna one day? My flight today I had to get pretty high up to keep a signal. Although, launching from home I'm dealing with more WiFi noise. I'm debating between the Atlas and the Cyclone. The Cyclone gives me both options, still can pop it off and put on the whips and not always have a big panel on....

For those of you that are relatively new to the Mavic and associated radio mods, I can give some free advice.

At my day job I work on commercial radio solutions and used this background to literally test every antenna and amp ever mentioned on this website. The factory mavic radio system is simply brilliant without modification. And the multitude of 3rd party amp's and antennas offered on this site are all in the same 90th percentile of performance.

Go have a party debating this antenna over that antenna. It is all a rounding error in the final results.

For those of you that are relatively new to the Mavic and associated radio mods, I can give some free advice.

At my day job I work on commercial radio solutions and used this background to literally test every antenna and amp ever mentioned on this website. The factory mavic radio system is simply brilliant without modification. And the multitude of 3rd party amp's and antennas offered on this site are all in the same 90th percentile of performance.

Go have a party debating this antenna over that antenna. It is all a rounding error in the final results.

Do you think putting the aircraft antennas vertical would help? Did DJI angle the antenna legs for packaging when folded up, or is there a technical reason?

View attachment 23119
Had a very, very, very RARE low wind night at my locale with winds at 500 foot altitude under 6mph. I have never experienced this from my home base and headed out with a vengeance.

I landed with 20% battery, but didn't know better because I didn't have a reference when to make the turn in these conditions. I might try one more time tonight.

I also made this bungee cord gadget to fine tune regulate the throttle. I found there are only 4 forward registering positions on the mavic throttle stick. Even so, I am now able to dial in exactly the motor to stay under 80% and as Cybernate always said, it make a HUGE difference.

View attachment 23120
Nice flight, I've knocked up a quick detachable cruise control as well for my RC, are you pretty forgetful with all the stickers on the RC lol

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

View attachment 23119

View attachment 23120
Nice flight! Next time you can push into the 42 to 44k range without too much drama.

You have a good point, the #2 on the mod leader board Unknown Caller only has a battery mod, and did over 50,000ft. I'm sure the three biggest factors we're up against here are wind, terrain, and location (RF interference-wise). But in your uploaded photo aren't you using a Sunhans amp? And what about the guys who test stock and then modded to an amped setup claiming they doubled their distance? Not saying you're wrong or they are, I just don't know. I'm new to this particular hobby, but have an electronics background an no stranger to modding my gear. Getting different info all the time. Certainly don't want to spend $300 on an antenna when I can buy more batteries, etc. ;)

Hey since you've obviously torn apart your remote and all, and have the gear to check it out, are the stock Mavic remote antennas omnidirectional? Someone on another thread mentioned something about them being semi-directional. Meaning the signal mostly goes out in front. I know when at distance with the Mavic how I aim my antennas makes or breaks my connection, a small change in aim makes me go from 3 bars of signal to none.

Last edited:
You have a good point, the #2 on the mod leader board Unknown Caller only has a battery mod, and did over 50,000ft. I'm sure the three biggest factors we're up against here are wind, terrain, and location (RF interference-wise). But in your uploaded photo aren't you using a Sunhans amp? And what about the guys who test stock and then modded to an amped setup claiming they doubled their distance? Not saying you're wrong or they are, I just don't know. I'm new to this particular hobby, but have an electronics background an no stranger to modding my gear. Getting different info all the time. Certainly don't want to spend $300 on an antenna when I can buy more batteries, etc. ;)

Hey since you've obviously torn apart your remote and all, and have the gear to check it out, are the stock Mavic remote antennas omnidirectional? Someone on another thread mentioned something about them being semi-directional. Meaning the signal mostly goes out in front. I know when at distance with the Mavic how I aim my antennas makes or breaks my connection, a small change in aim makes me go from 3 bars of signal to none.

I don't own one yet so take my knowledge for what it is. I watched a youtube video from a guy who seemed quite experienced and was reviewing different antennae and suggested that the signal is omnidirectional which is the reason for one of those mods that pushes all of the signal forward giving it more range.

I don't own one yet so take my knowledge for what it is. I watched a youtube video from a guy who seemed quite experienced and was reviewing different antennae and suggested that the signal is omnidirectional which is the reason for one of those mods that pushes all of the signal forward giving it more range.

The explanation from @Brojon in this thread makes sense to me why 3 watts of boost probably isn't that big a deal at long distance. Had to try to remember back 20 years ago when I had some formal training on this one lol. Probably helps of course, just not much. Maybe we get someone to make us a 50-100w booster. Even back in the CB radio days I modded my radios, tweaked some stuff to get another 1.5 watts, and sometimes used a small 50w amp, it helped get over the static at a distance, but didn't make you go from barely audible to +30db signal. The boys with the real big amps did though.

"Yeah - the inverse square law that says power drops off by the square of the distance.
So double the distance cut the power by a factor of 4. So if you have 1 watt at 10 meters you have 1/4 watt at 20 meters, 1/16 watt at 40 meters. So a 50% increase amounts to very little in reality since you need to *bump* power by a square factor. So if you have 1 watt at 10 meters to have twice as much power at 10 meters you actually need to 4x it = 4 watts. that 50% increase is also reduced by the square."

Don't forget that communication is a two way street.
I know the Titan antennas are amped both ways but I'm unsure what kind of receiver gain and noise figures they have.

Reactions: cderoche

DJI doesn't report the antenna specifications, but from numerous tests I have done (read my post history) one can conclude that the bird and remote both come equipped with vertically polarized omni directional antennas most likely around 4-5 dbi gain.

If you spend $300 on an antenna for your remote, this would be foolish IMHO. There are hundreds of comparable antennas on Amazon or eBay for under $50 (albeit not customized to fit the remote with custom brackets, stickers, etc. that many folks enjoy paying for).

The phenomenon you see with stronger signal on the return flight is because the vertically polarized antennas on the bird are swept back a few degrees. You should only see the difference at max distance with one/two bars of signal left. Anything else is an artifact of something else.

Also, there is almost ZERO benefit amp'ing both antennas on the remote and/or birdside. I tested this dozens of times and and it is literally a waste of money buying a second amp for the RX port. 99% of the benefit can be achieved using the TX/RX port only. For that matter, you can completely disconnect the RX port and have NO antenna and performance is identical and I tested/verified this many times. The dual RX antenna is only beneficial in close range multipath environments like you would see in drone racing.

Lastly, all the amp and antenna mod's benefit those that do not have ideal conditions. If you are in a dense urban environment the noise floor is much higher, this is a good solution for you. If you live in a forest with trees everywhere, this is a good solution for you. If you are lucky and live in a remote area with flat land and little trees, you are probably wasting your money upgrading the radio systems on the mavic.

And you all are smoking crack talking about amp's over 4 watts. I have personally fried 2 Mavic remotes testing some 5 watt amp's from work. All radio systems have a receiver sensitivity and if you exceed this, you will brick your remote and void the warranty. Been there, done that :)

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Nice flight, I've knocked up a quick detachable cruise control as well for my RC, are you pretty forgetful with all the stickers on the RC lol

Yes, those stickers were from my initial purchase when I had the "new car" excitement and bought every single accessory and add-on I could find :)

DJI doesn't report the antenna specifications, but from numerous tests I have done (read my post history) one can conclude that the bird and remote both come equipped with vertically polarized omni directional antennas most likely around 4-5 dbi gain.

If you spend $300 on an antenna for your remote, this would be foolish IMHO. There are hundreds of comparable antennas on Amazon or eBay for under $50 (albeit not customized to fit the remote with custom brackets, stickers, etc. that many folks enjoy paying for).

The phenomenon you see with stronger signal on the return flight is because the vertically polarized antennas on the bird are swept back a few degrees. You should only see the difference at max distance with one/two bars of signal left. Anything else is an artifact of something else.

Also, there is almost ZERO benefit amp'ing both antennas on the remote and/or birdside. I tested this dozens of times and and it is literally a waste of money buying a second amp for the RX port. 99% of the benefit can be achieved using the TX/RX port only. For that matter, you can completely disconnect the RX port and have NO antenna and performance is identical and I tested/verified this many times. The dual RX antenna is only beneficial in close range multipath environments like you would see in drone racing.

Lastly, all the amp and antenna mod's benefit those that do not have ideal conditions. If you are in a dense urban environment the noise floor is much higher, this is a good solution for you. If you live in a forest with trees everywhere, this is a good solution for you. If you are lucky and live in a remote area with flat land and little trees, you are probably wasting your money upgrading the radio systems on the mavic.

And you all are smoking crack talking about amp's over 4 watts. I have personally fried 2 Mavic remotes testing some 5 watt amp's from work. All radio systems have a receiver sensitivity and if you exceed this, you will brick your remote and void the warranty. Been there, done that :)

Just my $0.02

I'm glad I read this! I'll stick with my stock remote, saved me a few hundred bucks...
:D:D:D killing me with that smoking crack part! :p:p:p people at work wondering what the hell I'm laughing at right now!

Then it's also pretty easy to build your own antenna - especially omnis. In fact an inverted V would prolly work well.
Hardest part is the connectors but I'm sure they're available at a reasonable cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_