DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Well I think there are some things to try yet. We'll see what downgrading firmware does. First, I need to get a new Mavic battery. I'm not getting the flight time I need any more out of my setup. I used to get 41 minutes, now I only get 37 even with new multistars. Just ordered a new Mavic battery. That with the new props should do it hopefully.

Are all of you on iOS? What version of DJI Go? Anyone look at dat files yet? Does the rc reboot or does it stay powered on? If you’re not on Slack, you could send me your DAT file and/or log from dji go and I’ll forward over to the guys. I’ve reached out to the slack group. Nothing fruitful yet.

Last edited:
YNivVwZ.png

3A6QgiM.png

@JakeMaxxUAV

12594.9m = 41322ft from home. With the added loop at the end, could have been 44278ft. Headwind on the way out gave a 5+m/s speed differential, so left plenty in reserve to get home. Externals were 11.09v and 11.29v after landing.

MaxxUAV Evolite Plus
DJI batt + TP4500HV + TP3500HV top mounted
Firmware .900
1216g

Are all of you on iOS? What version of DJI Go? Anyone look at dat files yet? Does the rc reboot or does it stay powered on? If you’re not on Slack, you could send me your DAT file and/or log from dji go and I’ll forward over to the guys. I’ve reached out to the slack group. Nothing fruitful yet.
Sure, I'll grab it. Keith's would be better than mine as he had a much better signal and actual turned around to try again, but I'll grab mine and send it tomorrow. I already send my flight log to Digdat0, but I don't see much on it. I'll grab DAT file off the Mavic tomorrow.

Last edited:
The signal just drops off suddenly, as if they cut the transmission power. A couple seconds later the connection comes back, but the drone is already coming full speed back and covered some ground. It is different from normal connection loss, as there is no delay in the RTH. Usually you have a little time to get connection back before it starts back. It comes immediately. You can turn around and try again and you hit that same spot and again signal is gone with RC connect lost. I would normally think it's a signal issue, but Keith saw exactly the same thing 3 times at the same distance I saw it, just below 58,800ft or 18000 meters.
Can we take a look at the .DAT files for one of these flights. I know that the flight is probably split into more than one .DAT. If you provide them I can stitch them together to take a look. I keep meaning to take some time to make a stitching app.:)

Anyway, the reason that I'm interested in the ..DAT is that there is a signal, RC:connected, that is the connection status in the sense of the network protocol layer. Even though RC:sigStrength will be good and the Mavic is receiving packets the Mavic can execute a disconnect command and the RC:connected signal will show that. I was speculating that had happened here
Phantom 4 motors randomly turned off - bug or feature?
I'm speculating that if there is a hard distance limit that the disconnect command is issued to then cause the RTH.

Can we take a look at the .DAT files for one of these flights. I know that the flight is probably split into more than one .DAT. If you provide them I can stitch them together to take a look. I keep meaning to take some time to make a stitching app.:)

Anyway, the reason that I'm interested in the ..DAT is that there is a signal, RC:connected, that is the connection status in the sense of the network protocol layer. Even though RC:sigStrength will be good and the Mavic is receiving packets the Mavic can execute a disconnect command and the RC:connected signal will show that. I was speculating that had happened here
I'm speculating that if there is a hard distance limit that the disconnect command is issued to then cause the RTH.

I'll upload them for you within the next couple hours. @Unknown Caller says that the Mavic switches to WiFi mode at the time of disconnect. I haven't looked at my DAT files yet.

Reactions: dirtybum

Here's a link to all DAT files from the flight:
Flight_log_9_25 - Google Drive

Flight log attached as well.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-25_[08-41-07].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Ed209
Thanks I have provided the link to the slack group. I’m crazy busy at work today but will look later tonight as well. I think we’ll get this sorted out soon.

Thank you Ed! Steve (aka Digdat0) found that OutOfControlGoHome is triggered according to the flight log at 58,789.58 ft from home. Just like I said, right before 58,800ft.

Reactions: Ed209
Thank you Ed! Steve (aka Digdat0) found that OutOfControlGoHome is triggered according to the flight log at 58,789.58 ft from home. Just like I said, right before 58,800ft.

That’s good info! There has to be a variable or something set either in the app or one of the FW (bird or RC). Now to find it!

Reactions: CyberNate
Here's a link to all DAT files from the flight:
Flight_log_9_25 - Google Drive

Flight log attached as well.
The was only one actual flight in all those FLYnnn.DAT files. That's FLY399.DAT and it wasn't split into separate .DAT files. When the distance to the HP reached 17968 meters at time 1218.819 the RC:connected changed to disconnected.A short time after that at 1222.632 the GoHome state was entered.
upload_2017-9-26_11-42-47.png

About 4 secs prior to the disconnect the signal strength dropped from 100% to 0%. I was expecting to see the signal strength remain at 100%. Never the less, seems to me that the drop in signal strength and the disconnect was commanded by the flight manager in response to a distance limit being reached.

BTW, here is the watts vs distance. Seems there was a head wind on the way back.
upload_2017-9-26_11-50-19.png

That’s good info! There has to be a variable or something set either in the app or one of the FW (bird or RC). Now to find it![/QUOTE
The was only one actual flight in all those FLYnnn.DAT files. That's FLY399.DAT and it wasn't split into separate .DAT files. When the distance to the HP reached 17968 meters at time 1218.819 the RC:connected changed to disconnected.A short time after that at 1222.632 the GoHome state was entered.
View attachment 22295

About 4 secs prior to the disconnect the signal strength dropped from 100% to 0%. I was expecting to see the signal strength remain at 100%. Never the less, seems to me that the drop in signal strength and the disconnect was commanded by the flight manager in response to a distance limit being reached.

BTW, here is the watts vs distance. Seems there was a head wind on the way back.
View attachment 22296

Yes, the wind was changing directions on me. Got much stronger in return leg. I had to bail out in a park.

Yes, the wind was changing directions on me. Got much stronger in return leg. I had to bail out in a park.

Almost happened to me today. I took off without the DJI battery on, came back, landed, took off, and then set a PB distance. Changed course a little bit for the last few KM to follow a trail in case I had to ditch.

G601TZ8.png

GbkJteC.png

@JakeMaxxUAV
46,575ft, variable wind changing, same setup as before.

What do you guys think about having a link to the post put next to the entries on the leaderboard. So we can easily find the posts for each entry on the leaderboard.... It might be an extra step for Jake but I think it is very nice to have all of the posts easily accessible. Especially since this thread is so huge.

So for example:

6 - 43,343 ft - Ed209 - Battery Mod - LINK

What do you guys think about having a link to the post put next to the entries on the leaderboard. So we can easily find the posts for each entry on the leaderboard.... It might be an extra step for Jake but I think it is very nice to have all of the posts easily accessible. Especially since this thread is so huge.

So for example:

That's a great idea, I've been going through and searching for the best runs.

So for example:

Good idea!

Now that I've gotten some satisfactory range out of my setup, I thought I'd share pictures of a few mods I've done.

YqY83Pe.jpg

Angled rear motors to help FF. For high altitude vertical runs I level the motors out.

ms9IiAs.jpg

JANqZbH.jpg

Motor cooling. Ditched the rear lower covers, and cut out the fronts. Props are dated on install.

I2GgudU.jpg

Carbon reinforcing plates for the rear arm stops. I've also shaved the bottom of the plastic to allow the arm to tilt slightly higher for FF. Leveled out for altitude runs.

Now that I've gotten some satisfactory range out of my setup, I thought I'd share pictures of a few mods I've done.

YqY83Pe.jpg

Angled rear motors to help FF. For high altitude vertical runs I level the motors out.

ms9IiAs.jpg

JANqZbH.jpg

Motor cooling. Ditched the rear lower covers, and cut out the fronts. Props are dated on install.

I2GgudU.jpg

Carbon reinforcing plates for the rear arm stops. I've also shaved the bottom of the plastic to allow the arm to tilt slightly higher for FF. Leveled out for altitude runs.

Have you verified any difference in the amount of tilt required to achieve speed? In theory you should see less tilt to achieve same speed with motors angled. Gives you a little better aerodynamics. You should also check rpm before and after. You'll have to review DAT files.

Reactions: digdat0
Have you verified any difference in the amount of tilt required to achieve speed? In theory you should see less tilt to achieve same speed with motors angled. Gives you a little better aerodynamics. You should also check rpm before and after. You'll have to review DAT files.

Unfortunately any difference is lost in wind noise. I think I get better average speed for the tilt angle (I normally run 20 degrees) but I can't say for sure. Today the wind switched directions part way through my run and really messed with the data. I'm going to keep tilting them and see what happens.

I've also tried nose and tail fairings, and sharpened trailing edges (prop wash trailing) under the arms, but again no concrete data and I'm still working on a nose cone that can be installed quickly enough to not kick the DJI battery off when plugging externals in.

YqY83Pe.jpg

ms9IiAs.jpg

JANqZbH.jpg

I2GgudU.jpg

Dude, it's neat that you try stuff. :cool:

Reactions: dirtybum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147