DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

DJI doesn't report the antenna specifications, but from numerous tests I have done (read my post history) one can conclude that the bird and remote both come equipped with vertically polarized omni directional antennas most likely around 4-5 dbi gain
Hi beanbubba, when you say the antenna on the remote is omni directional, do you think the back side of the antenna remote will give the same range as the front side? Let's say if we turn the remote around without making it blocked by our body, will we get the same range?

The reason I am asking is because when I used this back side to go for a vertical flight, I got poor distance. I have to point the front side of the antenna toward the Mavic (just like when doing long range flight), which was rather uncomfortable when the Mavic was above my head :)

Hi beanbubba, when you say the antenna on the remote is omni directional, do you think the back side of the antenna remote will give the same range as the front side? Let's say if we turn the remote around without making it blocked by our body, will we get the same range?

The reason I am asking is because when I used this back side to go for a vertical flight, I got poor distance. I have to point the front side of the antenna toward the Mavic (just like when doing long range flight), which was rather uncomfortable when the Mavic was above my head :)
I used reflectors mounted backwards and put the remote horizontal to go 4450m on stock battery and tx. It never occurred to me to hold the remote differently.

Reactions: Porto and cderoche
"fighting some wifi interference's from 5 guys flying RC planes about 300 yards away"... Interesting I have also found my signal turns to custard when there are RC planes nearby, to the point I will even loose connection and image transmission! I always though signals from other RC aircraft would not interfere with with the Mavic, but they clearly do!

Reactions: Phxbird57
only Mod to these Mavic was adding a 3000 battery to it's back.

2UFdzSc.jpg

Swapped the front legs around to reverse the antenna angle, and they end up vertical in forward flight. Hopefully this will allow for lower flying to duck wind at long distances.

Reactions: dirtybum and Porto
2UFdzSc.jpg

Swapped the front legs around to reverse the antenna angle, and they end up vertical in forward flight. Hopefully this will allow for lower flying to duck wind at long distances.

I would suspect that if you don't reverse the rear rotors too, your rotation is not balanced. Maybe??

2UFdzSc.jpg

I love what you are doing, I am not a naysayer! But I think there is a reason the front edge of the front rotor arm has a raked front edge that "appears" aerodynamic. I am just speculating, I have zero evidence of this and look forward to your results.

BTW - I would make a professional/educated guess that this mod has some value at the outer edge of radio range. Please share any particulars of the mod that are not self evident. Thanks Lolo.

BTW - I would make a professional/educated guess that this mod has some value at the outer edge of radio range. Please share any particulars of the mod that are not self evident. Thanks Lolo.
I'll be testing in my usual spot where I have lots of data, so any improvement will be easily measured. Regarding orientation of the little reflector piece inside the leg, do you have any thoughts on the best way to point it?

Bought a new Mavic aircraft and tested it out tonight with one of my old batteries to compare old Mavic to the new Mavic with the same battery and new Platinum Propellers for both. Wow, what a difference. The new one is better in every way. Way longer flight time and distance. I also see better GPS reception with full lock inside on my lower floor. My old one only locks when I put in next to the window.

On my old Mavic I got 20:15 flight time and 49,132ft. With my new Mavic flown a couple hours later on same battery, 56,837.4ft and 22:48. That is just crazy difference. My old one has a little extra weight with the 2 XT60 connectors and wiring plus a bit of dual lock, but it's should make that drastic of a difference.

Regarding different flight path, I'm using a better antenna on my old controller (RexUAV CP) which is why I could fly out further in this area with old Mavic. I used stock controller with the new Mavic and couldn't get out as far. In fact I was screwing around trying to get connection back at the turn with the weaker connection.

I think this new Mavic could be good for nearly 30,000 foot distance flight (60K round trip), especially if I use a new battery and fly at my usual range spot.

Old Mavic:
IMG_0199.PNG

New Mavic:
IMG_0196.PNG

Do you know the exact weight difference?
Is your original an early build without the twisted motor wires?

XT60s are rather heavy, and I'm replacing all my connectors and wiring to shave weight.

b82eb70c53e1cf9c2680d83a13b507d0.jpg

2UFdzSc.jpg

You are really full of ideas! :D Please do let us know if it works or not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky