• Yes, not one problem

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A few small problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixes by the owner

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A large problem that had to be repaired under warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A problem that required a replacement drone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So many problems that I just sent the drone back for a refund...

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

apopj

Reactions
Does anyone know of an impending fly-in for the Ohio area? If not, does anyone have an interest in forming one? I think fall would be a beautiful time to meet, chat, discuss, and fly. With the vague State Park rules in Ohio, I'm not sure if a State Park would be a good idea, but perhaps a campground or similar site would work.... thanks for looking, Jeff

With the vague State Park rules in Ohio, I'm not sure if a State Park would be a good idea,

I'd be interested. NE Ohio.

Also, I don't think the Ohio State Park rules are all that vague. Lawriter - OAC - 1501:46-13-11 Aviation. spells it out plain as day. Operations from within (ie. takeoff/landing/operated) a state park are permissible in designated airfields. Getting a list of those airfields seems a bit vague though.

In any case, I've had great success just asking a ranger at the entrance booth or patrolling around if I can fly. With one exception, they've always said no problem at all. Multiple times Findley, Mohican, West Branch and Hocking Hills. The only "problem" was one time at Mohican when it was very crowded and the ranger hesitated for a second. I was uncomfortable with the crowd anyway, so I just let it go. I went and flew at Pleasant Hill Lake Park, which was just as awesome.

Reactions: honeyandironstudios
By vague, I meant that it doesn't explain if they mean for model aircraft, seaplanes, manned aircraft, or helicopters. Also, there is no listing that I could find that tells where or even if these specified locations exist. I have talked with the director of the local park system and he had no idea what the rules were concerning drone flight in state parks. When I called the Metro Park office, they simply said to go ahead and fly until someone tells you not too. I checked the OHIO REVISED CODE and code find nothing about flying drones in state parks. To me, that is a vague law, but perhaps I am looking at it different. I think an analogy would be a law saying you could only fly a plane if you knew how, not qualified to do so, simply know how......

But, my phone is 330-819-5834 if anyone would care to call and discuss a "Fly-In" for this area.... thanks for the interest to one and all....

Jeff

I'm in the Cleveland Area too - there's a RC Flight Club in Elyria Ohio located at 9033 Murray Ridge Rd. I went with friend that belongs to the club. They have a schedule Fly In I believe in August. The flight area is a short, shaved grass flight field that's actually registered as an unimproved airstrip. I haven't officially joined the club but am thinking about it - aside from that; I am in the Cleveland area and have Mavic Pro, although I'd be more of the type gleaning and learning from other pilots rather than having much to share in terms of experience or knowledge. None the less I love drones, technology and I'm obsessed with the Mavic Pro. Name is Tim

When I called the Metro Park office, they simply said to go ahead and fly until someone tells you not too. I checked the OHIO REVISED CODE and code find nothing about flying drones in state parks. To me, that is a vague law, but perhaps I am looking at it different.
The text I linked originally says "or any other flying machine or aerial apparatus,". To me, that means drones. IANAL though blah blah.

I've contacted the State Parks office twice asking for a list of designated airfields. Crickets. Zero response either time.

The Metroparks in Cleveland area (by that I mean the Cleveland Metroparks and Lorain County Metroparks) both explicitly don't allow drones. I haven't tried to fly in either much, but on the 3-4 occasions, I've had zero problems and simply make sure to ask a ranger if I see one. In fact, I had one ranger sit in his car and watch for a bit. I thought he was going to come over and put the kibosh on it. He eventually walked over and simply wanted to see what drone I had as his son was thinking about getting into the hobby. He asked that I stay away from the crowds and wildlife and, otherwise, have fun. Very cool as have been all my interactions with LEO in Ohio.

Except for some hard up prison guards who got their panties in a bunch about me flying ~1 mile from a prison. I explained that I wasn't breaking any laws and why. And that I understood their concern and had no intention of coming any closer to the prison. Still didn't cut it. They wanted me to show some ID and I told them no and went about my business. They hung around a bit and then slinked away.

They were shocked when I explained that I could, 100% autonomously, fly the drone several miles and land it right in the middle of the prison yard if I wanted to. So, given that, if I was up to no good, why would I be standing in the open, on a major road with a bank and a gas station across the street that certainly had security cameras. They failed to see the logic.

The text I linked originally says "or any other flying machine or aerial apparatus,". To me, that means drones. IANAL though blah blah.

I've contacted the State Parks office twice asking for a list of designated airfields. Crickets. Zero response either time.

The Metroparks in Cleveland area (by that I mean the Cleveland Metroparks and Lorain County Metroparks) both explicitly don't allow drones. I haven't tried to fly in either much, but on the 3-4 occasions, I've had zero problems and simply make sure to ask a ranger if I see one. In fact, I had one ranger sit in his car and watch for a bit. I thought he was going to come over and put the kibosh on it. He eventually walked over and simply wanted to see what drone I had as his son was thinking about getting into the hobby. He asked that I stay away from the crowds and wildlife and, otherwise, have fun. Very cool as have been all my interactions with LEO in Ohio.

Except for some hard up prison guards who got their panties in a bunch about me flying ~1 mile from a prison. I explained that I wasn't breaking any laws and why. And that I understood their concern and had no intention of coming any closer to the prison. Still didn't cut it. They wanted me to show some ID and I told them no and went about my business. They hung around a bit and then slinked away.

They were shocked when I explained that I could, 100% autonomously, fly the drone several miles and land it right in the middle of the prison yard if I wanted to. So, given that, if I was up to no good, why would I be standing in the open, on a major road with a bank and a gas station across the street that certainly had security cameras. They failed to see the logic.

Grafton?

Well I consider Parma more West than East - but I live in Elyria and play in Avon, North Ridgeville, Westlake, etc... So I'm prone to claim the WestSide

I've never taken mine out of Brunswick, any places northeast Ohio that people would recommend?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes