DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok the new Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro are great - but .....

Ladydrone

Reactions
OK - watched all the reviews and some of the livestream about Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro - they really do seem to be amazing drones - but the cost to play is high especially for the Pro - not saying it is not worth it - but $1500 is a lot money for something that can fall out of the sky - high risk investment.

So here are some options to consider for about the same amount of Cash.

Phantom 4 Advantage + Mavic Air

Mavic Air plus Parrot Anafi

Phantom 4 Pro 2.0

Autel Evo and Spark

Mavic Pro and Mavic Air

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: scott rand
OK - watched all the reviews and some of the livestream about Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro - they really do seem to be amazing drones - but the cost to play is high especially for the Pro - not saying it is not worth it - but $1500 is a lot money for something that can fall out of the sky - high risk investment.

Phantom 4 Pro 2.0

Autel Evo and Spark

Mavic Pro and Mavic Air

Any other suggestions?

Nice list ! I have the last one, I have the original Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. Was thinking of selling both of them, and all the extras I have, and then buying a Mavic 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, but still on the fence about doing that. Really happy with both drones.

[QUOTE="$1500 is a lot money for something that can fall out of the sky - high risk investment.[/QUOTE]

You need to check out some of the durability tests that independent reviewers have been doing with these things. I watched a Mavic 2-Zoom intentionally get run into a bush, crashed into a tree...then, the same unit, was rocketed into a tree in sport mode with all sensors turned off. IT STILL FLEW!! Even after three awful crashes. Any ONE of these mishaps would have put my Voyager on the bench for a week...new props, new body. The Mavic 2 was still operational after enduring all three without any repair in between!! The durability and reliability of these new units is seemingly amazing. With all sensors turned on, I've seen two reviewers who both have said that these units are, in effect, uncrashable (hmm...I think I just made up a word...). I think DJI may have addressed the safety of your investment issue with these units. I've got considerably more than the asking price for these tied up in my Voyager with gimbal, camera, FPV xmitter/receiver, 7" monitor, etc. All of that stuff used to be ala carte...and very expensive. These bundled packages are very cost effective if you are doing any serious video shooting.

Phantom 4 Pro 2.0

Autel Evo and Spark

Mavic Pro and Mavic Air

Any other suggestions?

$1500 or $1000, if it falls out of the sky it’s still a big loss to the owner.

I got a pro 2. It's a freaking tank. However... my tank still does not yet fly. Getting all the software and firmware updated seems to be very buggy.
Are you having the download problem too? Mine keeps saying the network is disconnected

Attachments

• Resized_20180827_210008_949.jpg
    Resized_20180827_210008_949.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 49
Just got the note that my Pro 2-Zoom has departed Shenzhen in the Guangong province. I'm supposed to have it between 9/5-9/8. So the software problems sound like standard-issue DJI. Anybody using one with an iPad? I've got a couple of different iPad Air units...all have lightning connectors, but a couple are older. Wondering what iPad control is like...which iPads seem to do a better job...etc. If anybody has had a chance to try them out with the new GO software, let us know!! All the reviewers I've watched seem to be controlling with either an iPhone or iPad. I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I use mine with my $100 Kindle Fire HD10. So I'm sure the Ipads will do well. :)

Just to expand on this, do note that even on Apple's $1000+++ iPad pros, they don't even give you GPS unless it's the cellular/LTE version, just in case that is important to you. $100 android tablets have GPS - it's a bit of a joke but that's how Apple rolls.

Although you don't need GPS in the tablet, we have it in the drone...

Correct, but you do need it if you want to change your home point if you moved during the flight or want to use dynamic RTH, something very useful especially from a vehicle/boat or if you have done any walking at all while flying.

One more quick note. I just flew my Mavic Pro in my neighborhood, and got the lost signal in just about the same place I lost signal with my Mavic Air... about 2300 feet from my house, in a pretty dense suburban neighborhood. I got a little farther but not my much. Will have to do some more side by side comparisons, but the Air does hold up well over a drone that costs about $1000 more than it and is twice as big and heavy. (Prices may vary in your area... 1000 may be high, but still.)

Reactions: CanadaDrone
One more quick note. I just flew my Mavic Pro in my neighborhood, and got the lost signal in just about the same place I lost signal with my Mavic Air... about 2300 feet from my house, in a pretty dense suburban neighborhood. I got a little farther but not my much. Will have to do some more side by side comparisons, but the Air does hold up well over a drone that costs about $1000 more than it and is twice as big and heavy. (Prices may vary in your area... 1000 may be high, but still.)

I've been watching all the YouTube videos on the old vs new Pro and interestingly enough, several of them also lost signal while flying in various areas. They are't immune to signal issues as some might have you believe :)

Here in Canada the Pro 2 Is $2K and the Air is $1K, so double as well. If you add the fly more to both, the difference is greater.

I'm just going to wait a few months for DJI to quietly fix any issues and will buy a Mavic 2 Pro before the new year.

Reactions: geevee and JDawg

Phantom 4 Pro 2.0

Autel Evo and Spark

Mavic Pro and Mavic Air

Any other suggestions?
Autel Evo would have been my next choice.

The Mavic 2 was still operational after enduring all three without any repair in between!! The durability and reliability of these new units is seemingly amazing. With all sensors turned on, I've seen two reviewers who both have said that these units are, in effect, uncrashable (hmm...I think I just made up a word...). .
Didn’t they call the Titanic “unsinkable”?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frodri