DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok to leave the controller fully charged?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
I usually keep my battery packs on a storage charge around 50-60% when not in use, but tend to keep my controller fully charged at 100%

Any issues doing this?

Good question.

It is a fairly sizable battery of 2970mah.
The DJI specs site doesn't say what the battery type is, but because the drone battery is specifically mentioned as Lipo, I think the controller is most likely plain lithium.
I keep my controller topped of anyway.

With the drone batteries, tend to keep these at 100%, fly reasonably often that they don't start the auto discharge (after 10 days of non use).
If I have a break form flying wiht weather isssues etc, I guess they'll run down to the right level, but might have to consider heat build up ?? (see below).

From the Mavic battery guide . . .

Battery Storage (edited)

1. Discharge the battery to 45% - 65% if it will not be used for 10 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life.
2. The battery automatically discharges to below 65% when it is sitting idle for more than 10 days, takes about 3 days to discharge to 65%. Normal to feel moderate heat when discharging.
4. Remove battery form the aircraft when stored for an extended period.

I treat my MP packs just like any of my RC lipo packs and never let them go 24 hours at 100%

I just keep them at a storage charge until I know I plan on flying, then I charge the night before.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I treat my MP packs just like any of my RC lipo packs and never let them go 24 hours at 100%

I just keep them at a storage charge until I know I plan on flying, then I charge the night before.

Might start doing that, though kinda mucks up the spur of the moment flight.
Suppose with 3 batteries you can still get a good 40 mins with the lower charge.

I have always kept mine x2 fully charged as with my batteries, all have great capacity still, some with 85 charges. I like to fly at the drop of a hat, not worry about did I, or did I not charge...

Saw several drone vid blogs with recos for draining to 30% before storage for optimal battery life...

I usually keep my battery packs on a storage charge around 50-60% when not in use, but tend to keep my controller fully charged at 100%

Any issues doing this?
@Snake eater ... I do exactly as you do. The only thing I have noticed is that after doing that for 18 months and literally thousands of flight with my M2P the controller charge never rises above 99% anymore, but don’t notice a change in functional time... easily fly 5-7 batteries on a charge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters