DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old Batteries (Mavic Mini)

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
Does anyone have dji batteries that have over 200 charges? When should I be worried about replacing mine? All three of my batteries do not have any significant wear but they all have over 200 charges. When should a cell failure be a concern?

If they charge or discharge noticeably quicker than usual that may be a concern, possibly indicating an increase of the cells' internal resistance. Not sure about that being a thing with the Mini 1's LiIon cells but it is a big thing with LiPos as in the Mini 2.
Also check the battery info tab of the Fly app to see if the cells are staying very close to the same voltage.
Swelling would be another indicator, but again not sure if that's a thing with LiIons.
Mini 1 batteries aren't *too* expensive nowadays so it may be a good idea to get a new one or two if you are concerned.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
If they charge or discharge noticeably quicker than usual that may be a concern, possibly indicating an increase of the cells' internal resistance. Not sure about that being a thing with the Mini 1's LiIon cells but it is a big thing with LiPos as in the Mini 2.
Also check the battery info tab of the Fly app to see if the cells are staying very close to the same voltage.
Swelling would be another indicator, but again not sure if that's a thing with LiIons.
Mini 1 batteries aren't *too* expensive nowadays so it may be a good idea to get a new one or two if you are concerned.
So far I’ve been having good luck with mine! Time will tell :)

I fly a Mini 2 and have 8 batteries. Besides being able to fly for several hours I make sure that I rotate them so they all should have a longer life. Incidentally, seven of my batteries are from the Mini 1.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Good quality li-ion batteries generally degrade gracefully, so no need to replace them until the flight time drops enough to not be worth using. Years ago, there were a lot of stories about cheap li-ion batteries used in laptops spontaneously exploding, but I don't there's much chance of these crapping out on you in flight, if that's what you're worried about.

When should I be worried about replacing mine? All three of my batteries do not have any significant wear but they all have over 200 charges. When should a cell failure be a concern?

Quick discharge and charge times from new are the first indicator. When flight times begin to be shorter but the batteries recharge quickly, that's a very strong indication the original total capacity has been significantly reduced.

A controller's low battery warning gives more RTB time with a good battery than from a well used battery. And that could be the difference between home safe and one of our aircraft is missing.

I don't know of any way for us to check the batteries capacity as with that of a phone. For example, iOS can show the percentage of total capacity of the phone's battery.

My phones typically started showing quick discharge/charge behavior at about 85%. At about 80% the phone's have started performing erratically. At that point the phones would frequently die without giving a low battery warning.

In a phone, it means no more calls in or out. In a drone it could mean time to start saving for that upgrade you've been wanting.

Let run/flight times be your guide. Pay close attention to them and the time left on Low Battery warnings if you fly that long.

And higher wind conditions can deplete a battery quicker than normal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard