DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old people don't die they just fade away

Lubar

Reactions
Been an explorer all my life. Now at my age the exploring is a walk around the neighborhood. That is until I got my Mavic 2 Zoom a few months ago. Now I'm up in the mountains exploring again. Setting in my portable chair with coffee in cup holder and snacks in the cooler. Life is great again.

I bought the RE Goggles at the same time as the Mavic. The goggles don't work for me (only have one eye working) so I was going to return them. People starting stopping by me as I was flying to observe. Most people stopping were in the 50+ age group. I let a few of the most curious try the goggles with gimbal headtracking enabled while I flew VLOS. Everyone that tried the goggles were amazed. I'm keeping goggles for observers. Its fun to listen to their excited comments.

A lot of these seniors were now hooked on drones and wanted to know what, where and which drone to buy. Many had the same problem as I do (old age), can't get around much anymore. The physical handicapped also loved the drone.

Politicians before you past any more regulatory laws, think about the benefits drones give to many people. Sure a few people will complain about drones and abuse the drones, but the majority will accept them as they become more common. Enforce the laws you now have. Don't punish the responsible majority of drone pilots with new laws.

Been an explorer all my life. Now at my age the exploring is a walk around the neighborhood. That is until I got my Mavic 2 Zoom a few months ago. Now I'm up in the mountains exploring again. Setting in my portable chair with coffee in cup holder and snacks in the cooler. Life is great again.

I bought the RE Goggles at the same time as the Mavic. The goggles don't work for me (only have one eye working) so I was going to return them. People starting stopping by me as I was flying to observe. Most people stopping were in the 50+ age group. I let a few of the most curious try the goggles with gimbal headtracking enabled while I flew VLOS. Everyone that tried the goggles were amazed. I'm keeping goggles for observers. Its fun to listen to their excited comments.

A lot of these seniors were now hooked on drones and wanted to know what, where and which drone to buy. Many had the same problem as I do (old age), can't get around much anymore. The physical handicapped also loved the drone.

Politicians before you past any more regulatory laws, think about the benefits drones give to many people. Sure a few people will complain about drones and abuse the drones, but the majority will accept them as they become more common. Enforce the laws you now have. Don't punish the responsible majority of drone pilots with new laws.
here here sir as a almost 72 year old and a UAV flier for some 2 years, i agree with your sentiments this is a great hobby and keeps me young as well

Hi,

I am an old fart as well (67 in a few weeks), and just got my Mavic 2 Pro at Christmas. It is a great hobby for older folks because the physical requirements are easy and the thrill factor is very high. As a former private pilot who hasn’t flow in 30+ years, it allows me to relive those experiences of flying and aerial photography.

Having a blast!

Ken

Hi,

I am an old fart as well (67 in a few weeks), and just got my Mavic 2 Pro at Christmas. It is a great hobby for older folks because the physical requirements are easy and the thrill factor is very high. As a former private pilot who hasn’t flow in 30+ years, it allows me to relive those experiences of flying and aerial photography.

Having a blast!

Ken
totally agree not only the flying but viewing the pics and videos on the computer when the weather is not so good and looking after the UAV as well its a great hobby for us oldies

i an a retired teenager who is turning 78 in March and had original purchase a SPARK so as to video my granddaughter's wedding, Did not quite turn out as planned as I am still waiting for the wedding. The MAVIC AIR came along and of course had to upgrade. There is a motorway construction very close to where I live and recording on video the progress is now taking most of my flying time. Not only the interest in the flying of drones there are lots of other things do discover and improve your knowledge. ie camera settings, video editing just to name a couple. My latest interest is uploading video clips to YOUTUBE.

Very well said! You hit the nail right on the head. I feel young again!!!!!

i an a retired teenager who is turning 78 in March and had original purchase a SPARK so as to video my granddaughter's wedding, Did not quite turn out as planned as I am still waiting for the wedding. The MAVIC AIR came along and of course had to upgrade. There is a motorway construction very close to where I live and recording on video the progress is now taking most of my flying time. Not only the interest in the flying of drones there are lots of other things do discover and improve your knowledge. ie camera settings, video editing just to name a couple. My latest interest is uploading video clips to YOUTUBE.

Have you played around with ‘Dashware’ yet? Where you synchronise flight data with your video and overlay gauges for Altitude, speed, direction, distance etc etc, very customisable, great fun!

Hi.....
I am 71.....I am sure you old guys remember when we were kids and flying the gas model airplanes....I I loved them but everytime I would try and fly one I would get really sick...turned out I had vertigo...
Well 60 years later I got my first
Drone ( Hubsan)...and I was hooked....I have owned 6 Hubsan drones and then got a Mavic Air about 6 months ago.....I will be ordering the Mavic Pro 2 soon.....I was waiting for the new model with the full screen on the controller so you don't have to use a phone or tablet....I am retired....live on a golf course in Florida and I am out there every day the weather is nice flying one of my drones....after I have played a round of golf.....So all you "Old Drone Flyer's" keep
those drones up and fly safe!

Totally agree with all you say. Us old timers (leaning heavily on 82) have you stick together!

I'm 83 yrs young and trying to keep the mind active. After practicing with a $50 'toy' for a couple of years, now this M 1 Pro is an never ending learning curve. Perfect -- so much fun & pleasure. When flying, share whenever the opportunity presents, to let folks take a look at just what the camera is seeing/recording. Most are amazed.

According to polls taken on this forum (incomplete representations, but still...), The vast majority of us are old. The largest is 60 to 70, then 50 to 60, etc...

Who else can afford these gizmos?

I’m just about to turn 73 and started flying last year. It’s a great excuse to get out there and explore, fun when I’m out with our off-road club here in Arizona wheeling my Jeep.

Attachments

• 61DF1266-30E4-4249-AB8F-A596692E09C7.jpeg
    61DF1266-30E4-4249-AB8F-A596692E09C7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Wow, color me a bit surprised. Here I thought I was in the minority. I envisioned a bunch of teenagers who grew up on video games (confession, I played Super Mario Bros in my twenties) and then migrated to drones to be a bigger part of real life and get outside. This is amazing, a hobby that spans all generations from teenagers to the teenagers in all of us.

Actually it would be interesting for the moderators to compile the data on age groups in this forum. What do you say?

Ken

Wow, color me a bit surprised. Here I thought I was in the minority. I envisioned a bunch of teenagers who grew up on video games (confession, I played Super Mario Bros in my twenties) and then migrated to drones to be a bigger part of real life and get outside. This is amazing, a hobby that spans all generations from teenagers to the teenagers in all of us.

Actually it would be interesting for the moderators to compile the data on age groups in this forum. What do you say?

Ken
at a guess i would say the oldies have it

Reactions: Ray Singcar
i am only 59, but bad back, bum leg, dead body part in my neck ( yes i have officaly had my head reattached).
and advanced arthritis. no hiking or mt biking ( not even skinny tire biking), for me any-longer.
and with the anties making it a crime to use a quad on back country dirt roads, trails even hunting is a pain now.
everything peps do for fun has a group of anties closing it down.
i havr found the quad coppter a great eay to help me get back out into the woods and just see things, if i am lucky it will be a long time before my eyes sight my go beond bad.
hearing? i have bad ringing in my ears. over powers some things. then just loss of it. so drones are a great way for me to enjoy life.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329