DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old Subject - iPad Connection Fly App

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Curious to what others have found.
I have a iPad Pro 11” 2018 preferred to use for RC console.
On all Apps… Go4App, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, etc, etc. the iPad Pro works fine… never an issue.
Recently thought I’d experiment with Air2 and Air2S, and that’s where problems started.
On the iOS FLY App it is so picky… often not connecting with Drone.
NOTE: Prior to only being the Mini2 on FLY app… no issues.

I can use an earlier iPad Pro 10.5” or iPad Mini with lighting connector without issues.
I can connect a 2018 or 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” without issues…. Although would not use for RC console.
Moving over to Android, absolutly no connect issues with Tab S7+, Triplett 8”, Fold 3, etc.
I can open & close Android FLY App and it connects consistently.

For a bit I thought it was cables, but the same cables work flawless on all Androids USB-C and the other iPad Pros.
I borrowed a Friends 2020 iPad Pro 11” and after a few disconnects and switching between Mini2, Air2 and Air2S it was doing the same as Mine… unreliable.
If I remove the FLY App, reboot the iPad Pro 11… reinstall, the connection will work a few times… but picky in order of what’s started. If I change crafts, it’s back to having a connection issue on any craft.

Very Odd… and specific.

It’s the 1.59 Ghz processor that’s the problem. The recent FLY updates have made these slower ios cpu’s obsolete. Need 2 Ghz to run this power hog FLY app, in ios. My old iPad 5th gen still works but had to upgrade my iPad mini 4 to a 5. Can’t roll back to earlier FLY app with ios either.

It’s the 1.59 Ghz processor that’s the problem. The recent FLY updates have made these slower ios cpu’s obsolete. Need 2 Ghz to run this power hog FLY app, in ios. My old iPad 5th gen still works but had to upgrade my iPad mini 4 to a 5. Can’t roll back to earlier FLY app with ios either.
Thanks for thought... something to consider, but I don't think logical.
The older iPad Pro and 5th Gen Mini with lightening connections work, and 2018 12.9" with same processor as 11" works. Plus a 2020 iPad Pro 11 has a faster processor than 2018 with same condition. The 2018 has a very powerful A12X and 2020 has A12Z... both still modern and powerful... well above 2Ghz.

The 5th Gen Mini you have & I have is a 2019 and has a normal A12 Processor, less than the A12X and A12Z in 2018 & 2020 IPad Pros.

iPad mini 5 and iPad 5th gen are different. 5th gen is 9.7”.. Checked your iPad Pro 2018 and it has the old 1.59 Ghz processor according to Apple specs. Just gave it a fancy name. Just guessing as I had same problem.
Good luck

iPad mini 5 and iPad 5th gen are different. 5th gen is 9.7”.. Checked your iPad Pro 2018 and it has the old 1.59 Ghz processor according to Apple specs. Just gave it a fancy name. Just guessing as I had same problem.
Good luck

We’ve gotten off track from the subject matter… but to clarify I'll provide some additional iPad material.
I’m not sure where you’re getting your Apple data… maybe confusing iPad with iPad Pro.
Regardless, iPads Pro’s haven‘t had sub-2GHz Processors for awhile, the “standard” 2017 iPad, 5th Gen A9 @ 1.8Ghz. In comparison, the 2018 iPad Pro 11” (1st Gen) has a A12X @ 2.5Ghz, the 2020 iPad Pro 11” (2nd Gen) has a A12Z @ 2.5Ghz. Prior to the “buttonless” iPad Pro generations was the 10.5” iPad Pro with A10X @ 2.3GHz.

I’m aware a iPad Mini 5 isn’t a 5th gen standard IPad… I didn’t indicate that…. The iPad 5th Gen is a 9.7 standard iPad with a A9 @ 1.8Ghz, the standard iPad that is using the same processor as the Mini 5 is a iPad 8th Gen: A12 @ 2.5Ghz.

Athough the Mini’s Gen happens to follow model… a iPad Mini 5 is a 5th Gen Mini, released Mar 2019 (now discontinued Sept 2021). The newest iPad Mini just released is the 6th Generation called simply the iPad Mini with the A15 @ 2.9Ghz Processor.

A 5th Gen iPad Mini (2019) is the model just prior to the new (2021) 6th Gen Mini lacking Home Button.
Your (and mine) iPad Mini 5 is a 5th Generation Mini with a A12 @ 2.5Ghz Processor.

The 2018 11” iPad Pro (1st Gen) has A12X @ 2.5Ghz, 2020 11” (2nd Gen) has a A12Z @ 2.5Ghz.

The performance of the Processor, thus the architecture isn’t represented by the GHz of CPU but the processing power normally measured with various SW tools… Geekbench is a popular example. (You can have lower GHz CPU’s that could perform higher dependent on number of cores or chip architecture).

Using Geekbench, the Mini 5 (5th Gen) has a score of 2679, the 2018 iPad Pro has a score 4615... Basically twice the performance of the Mini 5 due to the improved Processor from A12 to A12X. In GPU score the Mini 5 has a 5335 Metal, the 2018 iPad Pro has a GPU Metal score of 11490… again basically twice the performance of the iPad Mini 5. So in brief, the 2018 iPad Pro 11” is blowing the Mini5 away in performance.

Hope that helps clarify… to reinforce, I’ve added a few clips.
Back to subject of Post. Thanks

Note Processors on 2 "red" marked: iPad Pro 11 and Mini 5.
ipad Geekbench.jpg

iPad mini 5 released date and Generation noted.
iPad Mini 5.jpg

Tech Spec of Mini 5, note processor is a A12.
iPad Mini 5 cpu.jpg

Last edited:
no clue. I do know my buddy uses his 12.9" pro with his 2s and any old cable he has and it works flawlessly. I can't imagine there is a reason why one model would work better than another. try more cables lol

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Curious to what others have found.
I have a iPad Pro 11” 2018 preferred to use for RC console.
On all Apps… Go4App, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, etc, etc. the iPad Pro works fine… never an issue.
Recently thought I’d experiment with Air2 and Air2S, and that’s where problems started.
On the iOS FLY App it is so picky… often not connecting with Drone.
NOTE: Prior to only being the Mini2 on FLY app… no issues.

I can use an earlier iPad Pro 10.5” or iPad Mini with lighting connector without issues.
I can connect a 2018 or 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” without issues…. Although would not use for RC console.
Moving over to Android, absolutly no connect issues with Tab S7+, Triplett 8”, Fold 3, etc.
I can open & close Android FLY App and it connects consistently.

For a bit I thought it was cables, but the same cables work flawless on all Androids USB-C and the other iPad Pros.
I borrowed a Friends 2020 iPad Pro 11” and after a few disconnects and switching between Mini2, Air2 and Air2S it was doing the same as Mine… unreliable.
If I remove the FLY App, reboot the iPad Pro 11… reinstall, the connection will work a few times… but picky in order of what’s started. If I change crafts, it’s back to having a connection issue on any craft.

Very Odd… and specific.
I am having the same issue with the RC-N1. Have tried multiple cables and RCs and have never connected. 2018 iPad Pro 11”. Worked fine with my Mavic Pro but not with Air2S and Mavic 3. Has anyone figured this out?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake