DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Omaha, NE

Hi Guys
I will be travelling in the US this summer, visiting for the eclipse in August and hopefully bringing my Mavic. Planning on seeing the eclipse from up near Alliance but will probably be passing through Omaha a few days before, would be great to meet up and get any flying tips.
Cheers

I'm about 15 miles S of Omaha planning on going with a friend and his scope to Beatrice - looks like ~2.5 min of totality there. Not sure what will be going on before then but I'm game - will keep an eye on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: NCC1701
Hey guys! In the Hanscom Park area. My Mavic will be here on Thursday. Long time RC enthusiast but first time DJI owner. Excited!

Any favorite spots to fly?

I'm in the Omaha metro area as well. New to drones, got myself a Mavic. Pretty intuitive flying, I just need to get over the jitters of letting a $1200 piece of machinery fly so far away from me.

Would LOVE to hear favorite spots to fly.

Hey I totally understand that. I can show you my video of crashing my Phantom 3 into my neighbors 60' Maple tree!! No fun. Finally hired an arborist to get it.
Fly a Mavic Pro now - with accident avoidence, but not when there are no leaves on the trees.
I would say that 80-90% of the time I fly with the Litchi app so there are fewer surprises.
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

New flyer here. I used to fly RC Planes around 10 years ago. I've been waiting for the right drone to hit the market and after I did my research on the Mavic Pro I decided it was time to pull the trigger. So far it's been great, hopefully I'll get to fly a bit after work tonight! Happy Flying!

I just need to get over the jitters of letting a $1200 piece of machinery fly so far away from me.

Ha ha, I hear ya. Last weekend I took mine out about a mile from me to find a lake in the middle of nowhere that I used to visit. When it was time to come back, it was just a little speck on the horizon. I had to trust the compass and GPS on the controller. I pointed her back, hit full forward and pretty soon she was back! Nerve wrecking....but really cool!

So do any of you Omaha guys have places you like to fly/shoot?

Standing Bear Lake is a nice place to fly - least a buddy of mine says so, he's got an Inspire 1.

Hey Omaha.

New to the site. Glad I found it.

Curious if any of you guys would be interested in getting together and do some flying. I have met a couple other guys and am looking to connect and compare notes and ideas.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Just got mine on the 5th...one flight so far. Airmap shows a ton of airports and heliports and makes it seem like it will be difficult to find a good place to fly. Standing Bear appears to be goverend by Omahahawks club. Do you have to be a member to fly there? Even so, still inside 5 mile zones for local airports. I live between Zorinksy and Chalco, but both are in the 5 mile zone for Millard airport. Anyone ever contact them? How'd they respond?

Hey there. Been flying a while or just starting out like me? Hoping to get some area drone pilots to respond and share good places to fly. Two Rivers seems to be in the clear, If you're willing to chance the river.

Last edited:
Hey there. Been flying a while or just starting out like me? Hoping to get some area done pilots to respond and share good places to fly. Two Rivers seems to be in the clear, If you're willing to chance the river.
Brand New. Flew at Walnut Creek the past couple days. Not a bad spot.

I live near Wehrspann lake, but it's within 5 miles of Millard airport, so I've not flown there. So is Zorinsky. AirMap gives the impression that there's nowhere to fly around Omaha without contacting airports.

You're right. Looks like I shouldn't have been flying at Walnut either.. Shadow Lake falls squarely between two no fly areas and may be workable though.

New Mavic Pro coming this week. Checking in from Papillion.
Looking at the maps There is one small little spot south that is in the clear, but then you get too close to Millard so there is no park there to fly at just a road.

I like Shadow Lake, what we we set it to max hight of say 200 feet. Would the air ports towers even care or see it? I guess you need someone to turn you in to get in trouble, but once that happens your in real big trouble, risky.
Has to be somewhere you can fly around here.

Ideas?

New Mavic Pro coming this week. Checking in from Papillion.
Looking at the maps There is one small little spot south that is in the clear, but then you get too close to Millard so there is no park there to fly at just a road.

I like Shadow Lake, what we we set it to max hight of say 200 feet. Would the air ports towers even care or see it? I guess you need someone to turn you in to get in trouble, but once that happens your in real big trouble, risky.
Has to be somewhere you can fly around here.

Ideas?
So far, Two Rivers State Park has been good. But, lots of tall trees and occasional low flying aircraft along the river. As the weather warms, not sure I will fly over the water and number of people will surely increase. Got mine in January and between cold and wind, I've only flown twice.

I'd love to fly at Chalco Hills, but haven't gotten the nerve up to contact Millard.

*edited for grammar

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929