DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

On Board Cache for Video?

jwedding

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I managed to go fly without an SD Card. Told me there wasn't enough storage, but I was seeing videos, and could scroll through my phone during the flight to see them. If I didn't download on the spot before shutting down, are those videos gone? The still automatically recorded to my phone, but none of the video did not. Gone and lesson learned?

On my Air 2s low res videos are saved in a cache directory on my phone (well, they were before I got the RC Pro). There is 8GB of onboard memory on the Mavic Air 2. So unless you used all of that space up, you might be able to see your if your videos are stored on the aircraft itself.

Unfortunately, unless something has been changed recently, if you launched with the setting of recordings saved to the internal microSD card, without a microSD card inserted, you cannot switch to "record to internal memory" instead in flight, without first landing, and changing the location of recordings setting to internal memory. It does not auto select, or default back to internal memory without a microSD card inside. You must select "use internal memory storage" before flight, if you realize you left home without a microSD card inside, and that 8GB will quickly be used up!

It also will not roll over, and use the 8GB internal memory, if you fill up the microSD card during recordings while in flight.

There should also be a red warning icon on the screen, showing a microSD card with a line through it, if you have no microSD card inside before launch.

Gone, and lesson and functionality learned the hard way.
Sorry for your loss.

If there's no SD card detected, doesn't it automatically default to internal storage? I seem to remember a warning like that before take off when I forgot to put in an SD card.

If there's no SD card detected, doesn't it automatically default to internal storage? I seem to remember a warning like that before take off when I forgot to put in an SD card.
Nope! It still must be manually reconfigured, after the the warning, if there is one, before flight. If it offers you the opportunity, you may select it, but it isn't an automatic default, like some think it should be.

Nope! It still must be manually reconfigured, after the the warning, if there is one, before flight. If it offers you the opportunity, you may select it, but it isn't an automatic default, like some think it should be.
It happened to me early on with the Air 2 and it gave me the warning before I took off so I shut it down and put in an SD card. That was a much earlier firmware version (near when the Air 2 first came out) so it may be different nowadays.

It happened to me early on with the Air 2 and it gave me the warning before I took off so I shut it down and put in an SD card. That was a much earlier firmware version (near when the Air 2 first came out) so it may be different nowadays.
Exactly. If you hadn't had an SD card with you, in order to use the internal 8GB, you would have had to manually select it as the source of storage before launching. There is always some type of warning before you launch of a missing micro SD card. Ignoring it won't automatically select the internal storage. More importantly, if you fill your microSD card during flight, you cannot use the internal storage until you land, and then select internal storage, before relaunching.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr