DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One motor not spinning as freely as others.

AdeDrone

Reactions
Hey All

Ive noticed my motor has a quirk not sure if I should be worried or not. One of the forward motors is not spinning as freely as other motors. Not sure if this has been like this since i bought it or not. But i had a mishap where the drone literally flipped over on the ground and i went through and checked everything from from to back. Not a mark on the drone at all. not a scratch but I did notice one of the motors doesn't freely spin. (No idea if this was like this before hand) If i take the propellors off you can barely tell the difference. Its only when i flick the propellors around that you can notice it doesn't spin as much as the other three. I took it out and hovered it for about 10 minutes and the motor felt warmer than the other motors. The motor is about 6 degrees warmer than the others while running with props off. The gaps are fairly consistent around the motor it has the same feel as the other motors. I have dji refresh+ for another 11 months but i only get one replacement so im not inclined to do anything with that unless i truly need it. Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Stew

Hey All

Ive noticed my motor has a quirk not sure if I should be worried or not. One of the forward motors is not spinning as freely as other motors. Not sure if this has been like this since i bought it or not. But i had a mishap where the drone literally flipped over on the ground and i went through and checked everything from from to back. Not a mark on the drone at all. not a scratch but I did notice one of the motors doesn't freely spin. (No idea if this was like this before hand) If i take the propellors off you can barely tell the difference. Its only when i flick the propellors around that you can notice it doesn't spin as much as the other three. I took it out and hovered it for about 10 minutes and the motor felt warmer than the other motors. The motor is about 6 degrees warmer than the others while running with props off. The gaps are fairly consistent around the motor it has the same feel as the other motors. I have dji refresh+ for another 11 months but i only get one replacement so im not inclined to do anything with that unless i truly need it. Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Stew
Get a piece of junk down in there maybe??

Reactions: redserv
@AdeDrone could be some debris lodged in the motor ,or fine dust try to give it a blow out with a puffer or canned air also check that there are three lugs still on the prop that was on that motor as sometimes in a crash they can snap off and get lodged in the motor,dont spray any lubricant into the motor as this will just attract more fine dust to become stuck to the innards the only other thing it might be is that the shaft got slightly bent on impact

Doesn't look like anything is missing from the props.
Ive swapped them over to new ones

Blown it out still feels stiff
It’s normal for that type of motor they don’t spin freely. It’s the poles and the permanent magnets interacting. They don’t always feel exactly the same.

Thanks Done

Was just concerning as 3 were fairly consistent in tension but one is more restricted. I took it out and fanged it around in sports mode and there wasn't a big temperature difference between the 4 motors. The tighter one was a few degrees warmer but nothing high.

Ill have to try it on a 40+ (C) day (100+ F for our friends in the USA Liberia and Micronesia)
make sure it doesn't overheat when its warmer out.

Motors usually start making some strange metallic sound before failure.
I use a laser gun to measure temp in each motor, they all vary in temp,
but I look for a motor that not in the same range as the other 3. If you spin them by hand and feel extra resistance and the same motor is out of the range of the other three. Not telling you what to do, caution is in order.
Another question is, have you crashed it? Other pilots also have excellent suggestions as well how to deal with motor issues.

Doesn't look like anything is missing from the props.
Ive swapped them over to new ones

Blown it out still feels stiff
I'd be worried,i had air2 motor stop on me ,lucky I was at 10 ft and it landed ok ,motor has some resistance,check it ot in wind holding it and see if it spins like the rest

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803