DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 One of the best natural harbors on the Great Lakes

JimSteadman

Reactions

Erie is located in the tiny stub of Pennsylvania which borders Lake Erie. The first non-native settlers here were the French, who found a long forested peninsula of land extending into Lake Erie which sheltered a good sized harbor from the rough waves of the Lake. There was an opening at the east end of the peninsula (since dredged and enlarged) enabling easy access to a safe harbor. The French named the peninsula Presque Isle, meaning 'almost an island.' The entire peninsula is now a public park with over a million visitors a year and it still protects the Erie waterfront with sandy beaches on the Lake Erie side. You can see the lake in the thin strip of blue on the other side of the trees across the bay.

The tower was erected at the foot of State Street to mark the US Bicentennial in 1976.

Usually at this time of the year the entire bay is frozen with thick ice, but not this year. The night before I shot this sunrise video was calm and the temperature was below freezing, putting a thin skim of ice on the bay, with some breaks occurring as the wind picked up a bit. The area east of the tower had birds walking on the ice.

Nice footage Jim.

Paul.

Erie is located in the tiny stub of Pennsylvania which borders Lake Erie. The first non-native settlers here were the French, who found a long forested peninsula of land extending into Lake Erie which sheltered a good sized harbor from the rough waves of the Lake. There was an opening at the east end of the peninsula (since dredged and enlarged) enabling easy access to a safe harbor. The French named the peninsula Presque Isle, meaning 'almost an island.' The entire peninsula is now a public park with over a million visitors a year and it still protects the Erie waterfront with sandy beaches on the Lake Erie side. You can see the lake in the thin strip of blue on the other side of the trees across the bay.

The tower was erected at the foot of State Street to mark the US Bicentennial in 1976.

Usually at this time of the year the entire bay is frozen with thick ice, but not this year. The night before I shot this sunrise video was calm and the temperature was below freezing, putting a thin skim of ice on the bay, with some breaks occurring as the wind picked up a bit. The area east of the tower had birds walking on the ice.
Nice smooth flight, interesting spot.

Nice video! I can vouch for how it usually looks this time of year. I shot this photo up there last year! The photo got cropped. There were about a dozen ice fishermen just to the right of this, with their ice huts.Erie Ice Fish 9.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S