DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Only getting 2000 ft before weak sluggish signal. Is something not set right?

gixxerbill

Reactions
Just flew it in sport mode said 54mph so it's off on its speed but it was fast and fun to fly that way.

The problem is I have tried all directions and only getting to about 2000ft at 100ft before weak signal adjust antennas. I have adjusted the antenna like all the directions i have seen online so I dont' know what I am doing wrong. I have seen people fly 10000ft away and I can't even get 2000ft. What am I doing wrong? The distance limit is turned off,. Are there more powerful antennas? I
am trying to get more intercoastal water footage.

thanks

Reactions: mavic air
big trees and a few houses to go over till it gets to open field. Do I have the wrong video feed maybe should it be 720 instead of 1080?
Are you losing video and controller link? If just the video is dropping out definitely try switching to 720 - there's no real benefit to stream at 1080 (especially since it limits your recording resolution!)

Are you losing video and controller link? If just the video is dropping out definitely try switching to 720 - there's no real benefit to stream at 1080 (especially since it limits your recording resolution!)
its sluggish. and like skipping. and it has the weak signal warning.

How do you set the vid to 720?

Thick pine trees caused my signal to drop out at 900'. I was only at 125'. Try again at a higher altitude.

Structure interference weakens the signal for me aswell. I live in a gated community next to the everglades and I get way better range out in the swamps than in my neighborhood. I figure to get good range from my house i'd have to get on the roof.. lol

Maybe I just have good luck with mine because I can take it out ~4k feet - land it - and bring it back home with little to no issue (keep in mind this is in an urban location with power lines and wifi everywhere you can think of ;))

Reactions: Dmbrody
Just flew it in sport mode said 54mph so it's off on its speed but it was fast and fun to fly that way.

The problem is I have tried all directions and only getting to about 2000ft at 100ft before weak signal adjust antennas. I have adjusted the antenna like all the directions i have seen online so I dont' know what I am doing wrong. I have seen people fly 10000ft away and I can't even get 2000ft. What am I doing wrong? The distance limit is turned off,. Are there more powerful antennas? I
am trying to get more intercoastal water footage.

thanks
There are a lot of potential explanations:
  1. Your flying behind trees, walls, buildings etc.
    • Anything obstructing line of sight to the aircraft will scatter or otherwise disrupt your signal.
  2. Improper Antenna orientation
    • Consult the manual. Your Antennas should be pointed straight up and they should be parallel to each other.
    • Never point your antennas at the aircraft. Signals are emitted from the sides of your antennas, not the ends.
      • Like this: ((( | )))
      • Not this: — )))
  3. Wifi congestion, as well as other sources of radio or EM radiation can cause interference.
    • Your home Wifi network will cause interference. It's even worse in residential neighborhoods with a lot of WiFi congestion.
    • Many new cars these days have Wifi too, so keep that in mind even if you're parked in an otherwise rural area.
    • Cell towers, radio towers, etc can cause interference.
  4. Use 720P
    • Streaming the live feed at 1080P is for close range. Set it to auto or lock it at 720P for less interruptions in your video feed.
  5. Let the Mavic pick its own band i.e. channel.
    • It's generally best to let your Mavic auto select the channel. It should recognize congested bands for you and switch over to something with less interference.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but that's all that come to mind right now.

Last edited:
There are a lot of potential explanations:
  1. Your flying behind trees, walls, buildings etc.
    • Anything obstructing line of sight to the aircraft will scatter or otherwise disrupt your signal.
  2. Improper Antenna orientation
    • Consult the manual. Your Antennas should be pointed straight up and they should be parallel to each other.
    • Never point your antennas at the aircraft. Signals are emitted from the sides of your antennas, not the ends.
      • Like this: ((( | )))
      • Not this: — )))
  3. Wifi congestion, as well as other sources of radio or EM radiation can cause interference.
    • Your home Wifi network will cause interference. It's even worse in residential neighborhoods with a lot of WiFi congestion.
    • Many new cars these days have Wifi too, so keep that in mind even if you're parked in an otherwise rural area.
    • Cell towers, radio towers, etc can cause interference.
  4. Use 720P
    • Streaming the live feed at 1080P is for close range. Set it to auto or lock it at 720P for less interruptions in your video feed.
  5. Let the Mavic pick its own band i.e. channel.
    • It's generally best to let your Mavic auto select the channel. It should recognize congested bands for you and switch over to something with less interference.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but that's all that come to mind right now.
nice explanation and thanks for taking the time to post that. But one more question you can switch to band channels?

there is alot of trees. I will try in a more open area like over water and see what happens with my range

I have the same problem with red warning of "weak antenna signal". I checked done everything as recommended. Change location , in obsolutely open field, and still cannot fly more than 1700ft distance and warning of "weak antenna signal" appears. Is this just something wrong in the Mavic signal transmission? Any helpful solution from DJI?

Hi I have the Mavic 2 zoom I have put the large antennas on Thay about 10 inches long.. Thay big antennas and am only hitting 2500ft and getting weak signal 3 bars !. Am in a built up area . I have to be at least 800ft hight . If I drop to 500 ft I only have 2 bars signal Is this normal ... thanks

Houses trees the lot ... large antenna I can travel to 1000ft at 350/450 ft hight.. I go up to 800/1000ft I can travel 2500.. ft. . thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929