DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oops.. NO GPS

Amit Dunsky

Reactions
Site
www.facebook.com
I was flying my drone in a rather close proximity to the Syrian border, where suddenly, I got this message.. No GPS. Fly with caution.
Being that I am familiar with flying in this area, I already expected this to happen, and was ready to take over.
As expected, when that happened, the drone immediately began to drift with the wind. But using the compass, I was able to figure out its location in the sky, and bring it back to me for a landing.
If you're not a skilled pilot, be aware that controlling the drone depends on the direction it is facing. I've seen people turning the drone around (yaw) until it faces them, and then moving it forward, but in reality, "forward" is simply where the camera is facing. There's no problem moving the drone in any direction, and you don't need to have facing you. For me, on that specific event, I brought it back to me flying "to the back" and a little "to the right".

I strongly encourage all pilots to train themselves controlling the drone no matter the direction it is facing, and locate the drone in the sky using the compass. You'll quickly get the hang of it. This will allow you to take control of the drone when in need, and bring it back to you the shortest and fastest way, and will build you confidence.
1676890827441.png

I was flying my drone in a rather close proximity to the Syrian border, where suddenly, I got this message.. No GPS. Fly with caution.
Being that I am familiar with flying in this area, I already expected this to happen, and was ready to take over.
As expected, when that happened, the drone immediately began to drift with the wind. But using the compass, I was able to figure out its location in the sky, and bring it back to me for a landing.
If you're not a skilled pilot, be aware that controlling the drone depends on the direction it is facing. I've seen people turning the drone around (yaw) until it faces them, and then moving it forward, but in reality, "forward" is simply where the camera is facing. There's no problem moving the drone in any direction, and you don't need to have facing you. For me, on that specific event, I brought it back to me flying "to the back" and a little "to the right".

I strongly encourage all pilots to train themselves controlling the drone no matter the direction it is facing, and locate the drone in the sky using the compass. You'll quickly get the hang of it. This will allow you to take control of the drone when in need, and bring it back to you the shortest and fastest way, and will build you confidence.
View attachment 160878
I always turn the drone to return with the camera facing where I am as it’s the easiest way to bring it back as I can see where I am, cheers Len

This raises an interesting point, how many would normally know where, compass bearing wise, their drone was? I wouldn't ........ hmmmm... food for thought.

This raises an interesting point, how many would normally know where, compass bearing wise, their drone was? I wouldn't ........ hmmmm... food for thought.
I trained myself to understand that. After a while, your brain rewires in a way that it becomes natural. For me today - I'm able to comprehend where the drone is at all times. It's like the heading, distance and height data are compiled in my mind to form a vector, and I just know where to look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1