DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Optimal sharpness aperture?

wco81

Reactions
One of the main differentiators between the Mavic Pro and lower-priced models is the adjustable aperture.

But on my Mavic 2 Pro, I believe the lens is sharpest at F4, so I've rarely stopped it down.

Instead I have a circular polarizer on it all the time and I've never encountered blown out highlights in photos or videos, mostly in daylight flying.

Is there an optimal aperture for the Mavic 3 models, where you leave it at the same aperture, changing either the shutter speed or ISO or both?

Or has DJI used lenses which are uniformly sharp across most of the apertures?

Most camera lenses are sharpest 2-3 stops down from maximum aperture. If you stop further down sharpness will decrease slightly beacuse of diffraction.
Or has DJI used lenses which are uniformly sharp across most of the apertures?
Cheap, mediocre lenses like those in consumer drones have to follow the law of physics like other lenses, so they are less sharp full open and will also show diffraction at smaller apertures.
Instead I have a circular polarizer on it all the time and I've never encountered blown out highlights in photos or videos, mostly in daylight flying.
There is nothing in the design of PL-filters that will prevent blown highlights. In certain situations it will reduce reflections in some surfaces, and it will make the blue sky look unnatural dark.
But polarizers are not suited for wide angle lenses, it can cause uneven polarisation:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cajundrone