DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Optimal solution for flying DJI with Moverios in 2021?

Watsojw

Reactions
I'm cross-posting this from the FB Moverio Tips/Tricks/Support page

Here's my question to the collective wisdom of this group....

Is it possible to fly my Mavic 2 Pro or P4P using Epson's Moverio glasses without having to buy a discontinued tablet of some sort, or spending a significant amount of money on a single use 32-bit device like CrystalSky or the SmartController? (FWIW, just last week, the *official* word from Epson tech support was that I needed CrystalSky!)

I could return the BT-35E glasses that are arriving tomorrow, but if I do, what should I buy instead?

Or, I can *probably* return the Android tablet that arrived today (and that I am now being told won't work because of no HDMI!), but if I do that, what should I buy instead? Lots of discontinued products online, or references to articles that are now several years old.

It's starting to feel like I just "can't get there from here" with the Moverio. ?‍ I hate the idea of just sending it all back and writing off the whole idea, but it feels like it's headed that way.

Very disappointed and discouraged at the moment...

Wow! Definitely looks worth trying. Thank you, sir... I really am surprised that I didn't find more about this as I was trying to figure out how to make *something* work. There *are* quite a few posts out there from other people trying to figure out the proper "secret sauce" of pieces and parts to enable them to use the glasses to fly. I'll report back later!

Be sure to have an observer present when you fly with the goggles... they are cool, but limit situational awareness.
Well, while I understand the intent here, the Epson Moverios aren’t goggles, they are AR smartglasses. One on their significant benefits is that you dont lose line-of-sight or situational awareness.

I'd be looking at the new Epson BT-40s or a secondhand pair of Epson Bt-300's which will work with the P4p and M2P running DJI G04

Seems like the root connectivity issue is that whatever device you use as a controller needs two ports - a connection to the remote, & a second connection to the glasses. iPad and most android only seem to have only one these days. Not sure how BT-40 changes that calculus?

Some type of casting/mirroring option covers the connection base, but *sounds* like it may have some latency issues. Is it bad enough to be an issue? Hard to tell...

Reading on CrystalSky, it sounds like it’s not really being supported going forward and is already running older OS versions that are prone to being buggy. Smart Controller has been around a while now and may go the way of CS, but for now is *probably* the best option if you *really* want to use these glasses. (I do!)

I’ll probably try one of the casting options first. If it works, great, if not I can probably return it. At worst, it’s $30-50. Beyond that, either pony up $750 for the SC (?) or just scrap the whole project. Too bad Epson doesn’t simply add Bluetooth and make it easy. They’d probably sell a lot more glasses.

Seems like the root connectivity issue is that whatever device you use as a controller needs two ports - a connection to the remote, & a second connection to the glasses. iPad and most android only seem to have only one these days. Not sure how BT-40 changes that calculus?

Some type of casting/mirroring option covers the connection base, but *sounds* like it may have some latency issues. Is it bad enough to be an issue? Hard to tell...

Reading on CrystalSky, it sounds like it’s not really being supported going forward and is already running older OS versions that are prone to being buggy. Smart Controller has been around a while now and may go the way of CS, but for now is *probably* the best option if you *really* want to use these glasses. (I do!)

I’ll probably try one of the casting options first. If it works, great, if not I can probably return it. At worst, it’s $30-50. Beyond that, either pony up $750 for the SC (?) or just scrap the whole project. Too bad Epson doesn’t simply add Bluetooth and make it easy. They’d probably sell a lot more glasses.
I still think the most future-proof setup is using a USB modded Gen3 or newer AppleTV to AirPlay your drone video to the new BT-40 glasses. Go back to our Moverio Facebook Group where I’ve posted my 1st impressions on the BT-40 glasses. You could also purchase the BT-40s that bundles the glasses with the newest Moverio Android Intelligent Controller that has 2 USB-C ports, which I am sure can be loaded with DJI’s newest GO, GO 4 & FLY apps!

Last edited:
I'm cross-posting this from the FB Moverio Tips/Tricks/Support page

Here's my question to the collective wisdom of this group....

Is it possible to fly my Mavic 2 Pro or P4P using Epson's Moverio glasses without having to buy a discontinued tablet of some sort, or spending a significant amount of money on a single use 32-bit device like CrystalSky or the SmartController? (FWIW, just last week, the *official* word from Epson tech support was that I needed CrystalSky!)

I could return the BT-35E glasses that are arriving tomorrow, but if I do, what should I buy instead?

Or, I can *probably* return the Android tablet that arrived today (and that I am now being told won't work because of no HDMI!), but if I do that, what should I buy instead? Lots of discontinued products online, or references to articles that are now several years old.

It's starting to feel like I just "can't get there from here" with the Moverio. ?‍ I hate the idea of just sending it all back and writing off the whole idea, but it feels like it's headed that way.

Very disappointed and discouraged at the moment...
I understand. I bought bt300 years ago. Came with a funky mini brick with roller button. Connected to old magic controller….. all quite cumbersome. Now I’m hoping to resurrect the bt300 and connect to a dji smart controller (first edition), and begin flying magic 2 pro with fav glasses.
Am I correct? Can the old bt300 glasses work as fav glasses connected to dji smart controller and magic 2 pro?
Please help me here?
And… if I go to dji rec pro, can bt300 glasses still work? Or am I in for a new pair (bt35e)?

I understand. I bought bt300 years ago. Came with a funky mini brick with roller button. Connected to old magic controller….. all quite cumbersome. Now I’m hoping to resurrect the bt300 and connect to a dji smart controller (first edition), and begin flying magic 2 pro with fav glasses.
Am I correct? Can the old bt300 glasses work as fav glasses connected to dji smart controller and magic 2 pro?
Please help me here?
And… if I go to dji rec pro, can bt300 glasses still work? Or am I in for a new pair (bt35e)?
To make your BT-300 glasses work with the original DJI Smart Controller, you need the BT-35e HDMI box.

The optimal solution nowadays would be the BT-40 glasses paired with the DJI RC Pro smart controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98