DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Options for Extra Controller Power

Thats odd. I thought since the last RC firmware update, the lower USB port on the controller was disabled if the upper was connected. Certainly mine will not connect to my iPad if I inadvertently leave the upper mini lead plugged into the controller with nothing connected. I learn something new every day, although I have never found the RC battery life to be an issue TBH.

The lower USB port doesn't work if an OTG cable like the supplied one is connected to the side port, but a charge cable is no problem.

Well there you go. Had to google OTG. but it all makes sense now. Thanks.

People, it's been known for many weeks, it won't charge apple devices but will charge some android devices

It charges My S6 :)

People, it's been known for many weeks, it won't charge apple devices but will charge some android devices
If you actually WANT to charge your iOS device you can use the middle connector with a regular Lighning cable using an Adapter that has the Resistor "code" to see every USB Source as charger...
(If it does NOT work like it is, such an adpater is << $1 from .cn)
But as was stated, most prefer their Tx not to be drained by the smartdevice...

Ender

Reactions: Kilrah
That explains a lot... but does the Mavic control scheme depend on the extra OTG pin?
Well a microB port is always be a "device" port by default, but can become a "host" port with the OTG pin asserted. All DJI devices since the Inspire 1 have implemented a host port on the remote for a "device" (what an Android/iOS device is) to connect to, so yes it does rely on OTG.

I'd take the risk to say all android devices since I've never seen one that by default wouldn't start charging (or at least power itself) from USB as soon as connected.

I'd take the risk to say all android devices since I've never seen one that by default wouldn't start charging (or at least power itself) from USB as soon as connected.
Agreed,
on some charging can be turned of when rooted with an app but i have a success rate of 1/4 devices i tried.
And the 1 that worked is not suitable for the Mavic :p

Ender

Well a microB port is always be a "device" port by default, but can become a "host" port with the OTG pin asserted. All DJI devices since the Inspire 1 have implemented a host port on the remote for a "device" (what an Android/iOS device is) to connect to, so yes it does rely on OTG.

Considering that the controller power runs down too fast as it is I am glad it doesn't try to charge my i phone, my power bank will recharge the controller via the side port with my iPhone connected to the bottom USB port while flying.

Attachments

• DSCF4337.JPG
    DSCF4337.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38
on some charging can be turned of when rooted with an app but i have a success rate of 1/4 devices i tried.
And that 1 probably stopped charging the battery, but still drew power from USB for the current it need to run, which... when running the GO app at full screen brightness is about 80% of what it would draw when also charging the battery.

Been mentioned on RCGroups that not all android devices charge

Considering that the controller power runs down too fast as it is I am glad it doesn't try to charge my i phone, my power bank will recharge the controller via the side port with my iPhone connected to the bottom USB port while flying.
I get about 5-6 full flights before even thinking of charging, how many does yours do?

I get about 5-6 full flights before even thinking of charging, how many does yours do?
About the same, but if you are out for a full day of flying it's a PIA to stop to recharge the controller, that's why the power bank. I have an ultra-slim battery case for my iPhone with a pass-through lightning socket that will fit in the controller with a little 'shaving' of the rubber grips.

About the same, but if you are out for a full day of flying it's a PIA to stop to recharge the controller, that's why the power bank. I have an ultra-slim battery case for my iPhone with a pass-through lightning socket that will fit in the controller with a little 'shaving' of the rubber grips.
How many mavic batteries do you have haha

Reactions: Kilrah
My Oneplus 2 charges just fine. I can get about 5-6 batteries worth of flying before the remote is pretty low on battery.

I would be curious to know if the range of the controller is reduced any by lower power levels on the battery? Anyone notice any degradation with a lower (say 30-50%) battery?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS