DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Options How to sort images by location?

Darkabaz

Reactions
Dear mates, for a client (large municipality) I have to photograph 33 city centers 4 times (east-south-west-north). How can I easily sort the photos afterwards so that I know which city center is which... i take all in one day.
I think it is gonna be a hell to sort manual afterwards without any recognition points..
I'm not from there myself, so I also have 0.0 recognition points. The GPS coordinates are probably not sufficient because it is possible that I take pictures above village 5 to take shots from village 6..

anyone have any tips? Possibilities to put some text to images directly, when flying? (As example city 1 East, city1, west...)

Reactions: New England Droning
From memory the EXIF reader that I have on my Windows computer produces a list of various EXIF data, arranged in columns in the same way that Windows "details" view of a folder does and, like Windows, the reader allows you to "choose details".
The data can be sorted by a chosen field/column and I think Lat & Long are amongst the possible fields. If either Lat or Long would be enough to separate the photos then it would meet your needs, for a list at least. I do not remember if it can then be used to move photo into folders.
I am on a Mac at the moment. I can't remember the programs name but, from memory, it does not have "exif" in its name.
I will have a look when I get onto the windows machine.

All the above said, have you checked whether or not Windows' "details" can display Lat & Long in its columns?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkabaz
From memory the exif reader that I have on my Windows computer produces a list of various exif data, arranged in columns in the same way that Windows "details" view of a folder does and, like Windows, the reader allows you to "choose details".
The data can be sorted by a chosen field/column and I think Lat & Long are amongst the possible fields. If either Lat or Long would be enough to separate the photos then it would meet your needs, for a list at least. I do not remember if it can then be used to move photo into folders.
I am on a Mac at the moment. I can't remember the programs name but, from memory, it does not have "exif" in its name.
I will have a look when I get onto the windows machine.

All the above said, have you checked whether or not Windows' "details" can display Lat & Long in its columns?
Since he states he's often taking photos of one village from another, Lat and Long alone won't be of much help.

Dear mates, for a client (large municipality) I have to photograph 33 city centers 4 times (east-south-west-north). How can I easily sort the photos afterwards so that I know which city center is which... i take all in one day.
I think it is gonna be a hell to sort manual afterwards without any recognition points..
I'm not from there myself, so I also have 0.0 recognition points. The GPS coordinates are probably not sufficient because it is possible that I take pictures above village 5 to take shots from village 6..

anyone have any tips? Possibilities to put some text to images directly, when flying? (As example city 1 East, city1, west...)
Do like they do in the movies and create a status board (white board). Write the town name with N, S, E, W on it and stand in front of the drone just after take off. That way you know where each segment was shot.

Since he states he's often taking photos of one village from another, Lat and Long alone won't be of much help.
True

But it should serve to separate those images where the Lat & long are different. If so and if the photos are separated into appropriate-shooting-location-folders then, where one location is used to photograph two separate villages, there may be other data in the EXIF that could be used to refine the separation.

If the initial sort, based on available EXIF data, is only sufficient to separate the shooting locations into separate folders it may also serve to identify the flight logs. If so then with those logs or rather their csv's it may then be possible to use combinations of drone height, bearing and gimbal pitch-angle to sort out the targets. Bearing is from memory included in EXIF.

I use a similar approach when messing with my flight log book csv. I do a multi-stage sort i.e. a single sort operation sorts by column 'A' then column 'B' then column 'C' etc..

I actually did use a Lat & Long sort of my log book to try to find the log of a very, VERY windy flight, a Phantom 3 was reduced to 1 or 2 m/s headway into the wind. Unfortunately it seems that that log was included in a few logs that I lost, mutter mutter beep beep. ........ hmmmm I wonder if I have the DAT's?

Last edited:
Do like they do in the movies and create a status board (white board). Write the town name with N, S, E, W on it and stand in front of the drone just after take off. That way you know where each segment was shot.

I did the same thing with my SPARK back in the day with 3x5 index cards and a Sharpie pen.

I would write down the date, time, weather, etc. on the card and recorded it before /during the launch.

Poor man's clapper board. 🎬🎬

Is there a time stamp somewhere? On a Mac I sort by date taken and I can see the time readout, if your moving from one location to another to take a group of shots there will be a jump in the time to separate two or more groups of photos taken. Make some folders on the desktop and copy and paste to each folder named.

The EXIF reader I was thinking of is Picture Information Extractor. It looks as if at least my Windows lists nothing useful in the available "chose details", sorry.

Last edited:
You may find that you will now be stuck with the 'extended' name structure, I recollect seeing a thread where that was my understanding of the thread. I didn't pay that much attention to it as it doesn't apply to my drone but I think it was started by the user Labroides over on the DJI forum.

I add keywords to each groups of images when I upload them into Adobe Lightroom. The Lightroom Library module allows me to bring up images based on the keywords so I can sort them any way I want without renaming files. You can assign more than one keyword to an image.

Found the solution. Simple, in the menu we can add _extratext to file names with the Mavic 3 pro.
Every time i will shoot another village, i will add the village name to the images. I think that is the best way. Thank you for your input.
This is the answer, only have to remember to add a step into your field workflow and very simple back home.

You may find that you will now be stuck with the 'extended' name structure, I recollect seeing a thread where that was my understanding of the thread. I didn't pay that much attention to it as it doesn't apply to my drone but I think it was started by the user Labroides over on the DJI forum.
Found the thread you referenced.
Any idea why, once enabled, it can't be changed back?
I also can't find the option on the Mavic 3. Is it only available on the Mavic 3 Pro?

DJI_####.JPG
becomes
DJI_YYYYMMDDhhmmss_####D.JPG by default.

"The Mavic 3 pro has long file names and the option to have custom file names.
Sounds good ... but it isn't.
Instead of the standard DJI file name, now instead of DJI_008.jpg you get DJI_20230509135807_0008_D.JPG
So customising file names would seem to be a good option.
Except that you cannot delete anything from the over long default filename.
You can only add additional letters and numbers.
As if it wasn't already much too long.
And you can't even go back to the same old numbering system.
"

IMG_4749.jpeg

Before you start taking pictures of each village, use your phone to take a picture of the name of the village. It could be as simple as taking a small whiteboard and writing the location using an erasable marker. When you sort the images by time, you'll have the name of the village at the start of each set.

Before you start taking pictures of each village, use your phone to take a picture of the name of the village. It could be as simple as taking a small whiteboard and writing the location using an erasable marker. When you sort the images by time, you'll have the name of the village at the start of each set.
Slating works!

Pro Tip: HOW TO SLATE

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78