DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orange County Drones

Friendly3

Reactions
I am ready to finally fly my drone for the first time. Can someone please tell me where in the OC is the best place to fly drones. Are the beaches such as Balboa or Newport Beach
ok? Any info would be great. Tx

Welcome to our Forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

Haven't flown OC yet, though I lived in Newport Beach long before drone days. Born in LA. We have many, many members from OC and surrounding counties who can provide guidance to you.

I do recommend that you use a service like AirMap (my favorite) which will show FAA no-fly zones. City and County web sites may show some of the local ones. So-Cal is not the most drone-friendly part of the US. Palos Verdes, for example, says they are a no-fly zone, but they lack legal justification to claim that. They can and do prevent you from taking off/landing in their fiefdom, however. They're kind of in a world of their own, anyway.
In general, it's better to avoid pissing them (or anyone else) off. I try to fly legally and to avoid invading peoples' privacy.

Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: MavicPeter
Hi Friendly3 welcome to Mavic Pilots.

Being in the UK I can’t help with where to fly but can offer some new flyer advice - Wide open space - Slow & easy - Power-lines & trees are evil.

Don't forget to reed the manual ;)

Reactions: Hauptmann
Are the beaches such as Balboa or Newport Beach ok?
Welcome to the forum! I was down in the OC in February, saw the altitude restrictions around Newport Beach and Balboa, so I flew around Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach instead. Definitely consult the apps everyone has mentioned to be sure. Here’s what I’m seeing from my Kitty Hawk app for the area:

229826C2-F7C8-41B5-9DA7-96A28222C4FB.png

Reactions: Hauptmann
I agree with others that Huntington Beach is probably your best bet and I’m hoping to go down there sometime next year.

from their city website they don’t appear to be anti drone (yet) so if you find a place away from others and fly respectfully and follow FAA regulations you should be good.
See the message here saying that they don’t have any ordinances against private citizens flying drones:City of Huntington Beach, CA - Report an Issue

Actually, you cannot fly on any of the beach cities in OC since 2019. District Superintendent's Order No. 925-19-32.

"No person shall launch, land or operate a model aircraft or UAS within any park unit in the Orange Coast District (Bolsa Chica State Beach, Huntington State Beach, Corona del Mar State Beach, Crystal Cove State Park, Doheny State Beach, San Clemente State Beach, and San Onofre State Beach)"

I just don't understand if they mean only beach parks or all parks within those beach cities. Becuase they say "any park" within the district.

Actually, you cannot fly on any of the beach cities in OC since 2019. District Superintendent's Order No. 925-19-32.

"No person shall launch, land or operate a model aircraft or UAS within any park unit in the Orange Coast District (Bolsa Chica State Beach, Huntington State Beach, Corona del Mar State Beach, Crystal Cove State Park, Doheny State Beach, San Clemente State Beach, and San Onofre State Beach)"

I just don't understand if they mean only beach parks or all parks within those beach cities. Becuase they say "any park" within the district.
The order states the specific State Beaches/Parks which cannot be flown in, so if you're outside of one of those parks/beaches you should be good to fly.

(Ord. No. 99-21, § 2, 8-31-99) "No person shall possess or operate any radio-controlled or other remotely operated model, toy or similar device, including but not limited to cars, boats, rockets, airplanes or gliders, in any park, beach or recreational area except in areas designated and under conditions established by the Director"

So OC has two different laws going on, one from the District Superintendent and another from Parks and Rec.

(Ord. No. 99-21, § 2, 8-31-99) "No person shall possess or operate any radio-controlled or other remotely operated model, toy or similar device, including but not limited to cars, boats, rockets, airplanes or gliders, in any park, beach or recreational area except in areas designated and under conditions established by the Director"

So OC has two different laws going on, one from the District Superintendent and another from Parks and Rec.
Interesting. I've neither seen nor heard of either of these being enforced, so it's likely a "if you're being dumb, they have a reason to stop you" kind of thing. Also, as they are "Park Director's Orders" any penalties are likely limited to expulsion from the current park, at a maximum (any criminal law in California must be 1. Codified [written down] describing the act, and 2. Have a punishment listed; Ca Penal Code 15).

Reactions: kjonyou
Interesting point, so if it's Park Directors Order, then it says "Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be guilty of an infraction." I don't know how much that would be. In traffic court a max for amount for an infraction is $250 in Calif. I dont know if that applies to parks.

Interesting point, so if it's Park Directors Order, then it says "Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be guilty of an infraction." I don't know how much that would be. In traffic court a max for amount for an infraction is $250 in Calif. I dont know if that applies to parks.
Basically a ticket, with a relatively small fine, yes. But again, chances are very good that since those "orders" are just posted directives at a park/beach entrance (typically on a bulletin board, faded by the sun), unless you're doing something egregious you'll just be told you can't fly there.

Reactions: kjonyou
I have yet to actually see a No Drone sign in any of these parks where we are not supposed to fly. I check those signs at the entrance, no dogs, camping, fires, skateboards, bikes etc. Never see the drone on there. And of course I see all those things happing there like skaters, bikes, dogs off the leash etc. My luck I would be the one that get stopped.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929