DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying on Orange County Beaches

JV Flys

Reactions
Hello, I am looking for any input from anyone who has flown on Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach City Beach (not the State Beach) or Dana Point. I know there is a directive from the Orange Coast District of beaches prohibiting drone flights but these beaches are not on that list as it only apply to State Beaches. Laguna City Council does have this drone ordinance 7.80.040 Operational requirements. which seems to indicate drone flying is permitted as long as the pilot is following the rules set forth in the ordinance.

Huntington Beach State Beach does prohibit Drones but accord to this link City of Huntington Beach, CA - Huntington Beach Drone Information the city of Huntington Beach does not prohibit Drones. From what I can tell based on Maps the Huntington Beach City Beaches start around the water front Hilton and go down to Bolsa Chica State Beach. If the City does not prohibit drones then flying drones on the city beach should be OK.

I have done a lot of searching for Newport Beach and can't find anything that specifically prohibits flying. DJI Fly safe apps indicates OK to to fly on the whole Balboa Peninsula except for a small area that has a 150M altitude restriction due to John Wayne Airport. Since there is a National FAA 400 FT limit this restriction does not really apply.

I am planning a small beach tour tomorrow 10/22/2022 so if anyone has any other information please let me know. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks!

I would suggest you download the app Aircontrol from Aloft and look at the controlled airspace along the coast. The Bolsa Chica area is off limits due to an ecological preserve except for directly over the beach. There you are now flying over people (weekend). The Balboa peninsula is in the John Wayne controlled airspace. However There is a required auto LAANC clearance available for both recreational and commercial pilots. Are you familiar with that quick process? To be legal you would need that clearance on your phone and it is automatic for 200 ft and below. Your comment that there is a national 400 ft limit which allows you to be higher than the LAANC clearance in controlled airspace just isn’t correct in my opinion. I’m in Long Beach and familiar with this coastline. PM me and we can talk on the phone.
South of John Wane the air space looks good until you approach Pendleton.

Reactions: JV Flys
I would suggest you download the app Aircontrol from Aloft and look at the controlled airspace along the coast. The Bolsa Chica area is off limits due to an ecological preserve except for directly over the beach. There you are now flying over people (weekend). The Balboa peninsula is in the John Wayne controlled airspace. However There is a required auto LAANC clearance available for both recreational and commercial pilots. Are you familiar with that quick process? To be legal you would need that clearance on your phone and it is automatic for 200 ft and below. Your comment that there is a national 400 ft limit which allows you to be higher than the LAANC clearance in controlled airspace just isn’t correct in my opinion. I’m in Long Beach and familiar with this coastline. PM me and we can talk on the phone.
South of John Wane the air space looks good until you approach Pendleton.
Thanks Doug. Of course you are right. The DJI Fly safe app only shows a 150M altitude restriction around all the Balboa Peninsula which I why I commented the way I did. I downloaded B4UFLY and in conjunction with Alofts App is a better way to check the area for safe flight. Thanks again for the information and response.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929